Paul Lambert

limpid

I want to be entertained by a Villa team playing good football, sadly I don't see this happening under our current manager and coaching staff. I really hope I'm wrong because I think Lerner's decided that Paul Lambert is here for the long haul.

This is a fair enough viewpoint, and I'm not saying that you can't have both good football and survival, but... which would you choose of;

a - Playing entertaining, open, attacking football but getting relegated

b - Playing dour, terrible football but staying up

If you could only pick one?

I'd say Moyes has a way harder job than Lambert.

He is replacing the legend Sir Alex at a league winning side who always expect to win.

All Lambert needs to do is to not be Alex McLeish and keep us in the league

This! Don't get what's with the toughest job thing.

Moyes's job is tougher. Sherwood's job is tougher. Martinez's job is tougher ( and he's done great having 15+ million negative net spend and doing better than Moyes did last season ), Pulis's job is tougher, Potato Head's job is tougher, all of the new managers who haven't had the chance to get their players have a tougher job too.

You're obviously looking at it from a completely different perspective.

Which one of those managers has been told to reduce the wage bill?

I want to be entertained by a Villa team playing good football, sadly I don't see this happening under our current manager and coaching staff. I really hope I'm wrong because I think Lerner's decided that Paul Lambert is here for the long haul.

This is a fair enough viewpoint, and I'm not saying that you can't have both good football and survival, but... which would you choose of;

West ham fans wanted A, now they're delighted with B.

At least now the Emperors new clothes story is seemingly coming to it's end with just a few still aimlessly clinging on to the Lambert myth.

In all my years of following Villa I cannot recall any manager who have remained in power with so much of the fan base either totally against him or seriously questioning his abilities.

In terms of fan backing he has been given a very easy ride to date and last season I think it was right he was given so much slack. However this season the fans are not so forgiving. There have already been rumblings at VP and if we don't get 3 points against Norwich I can see Lambert for the first time feeling the full wrath of the Villa Park faithful.

I am not sure how Lambert will react to that. He comes across as being totally oblivious to the shit we find ourselves in and continually states we have been unlucky. He may find on Sunday the fans disagree with him. The guy is either a bullshitter and is fully aware that we have been serving up tripe or is delusional. I hope its the former otherwise there is no hope for us.

• Like 1

Of course he's a bullshitter, he's just scared to put the blame on the players publicly because he knows it'll be seen as throwing them under the bus and we all know he's not the type to admit to making mistakes himself. He sees the same bullshit on the pitch that 99% of Villa fans see but he's just got to answer dumb questions to the press making the least possible fuss. 

• Like 1

A very poor Newcastle team beat an even worse Villa team. "We deserved a draw" says Lambert. We got what we deserved …. Nothing!

Paul Lambert's continual defence of unacceptable performances is getting to be very annoying. According to PL we are doing ok and would be well up the table by now if only we had a little luck.

Is Lambert incompetent or just plain daft? Thousands of Villa fans could see what was going to happen yesterday, and yet PL just stood there like a rabbit caught in car headlights. That quizzical expression on his face obviously wasn't deep thought about tactics …. he must have been composing the"Westwood was brilliant, and we deserved a draw" speech for his post match interview.

I thought we played well against Newcastle on the whole (especially first half). We often go up to St. James' and get a tonking but the tactics were almost spot on this time? Most people (if not everyone) would've taken a draw before the game and, aside from a couple of incredibly unlucky deflections, we'd have got a draw. Vlaar could've done better with the goal but it simply shouldn't have gotten there.

We've improved possession over the past couple of games (something which has been jumped upon many times on here) but aren't getting results. Our strikers are completely out of form - Gabby should've done better with one chance especially (granted, on his left) and Benteke was terrible all game; (lack of) through ball in particular.

Of course, we'll ignore all of this and just continue to blame Lambert for everything that happens on the pitch.

I can't believe people still go to so much effort to make excuses for performances like that 18 months into his time here.

Common sense tells me that option B has to be the choice, but …. I no longer enjoy being a Villa fan, and I've been a dedicated fan for the past five decades. I've spent countless thousands following the Villa, and yet now I find it difficult to find any enthusiasm when match day approaches. Lerner and Lambert both bear some responsibility for my slide into apathy, old age and feeling knackered is probably another contributory factor. So I'll choose Option A and a bit of excitement as we journey into the unknown.

Bobzy

And he has failed in too many ways IMO!

Over-anxious sackings and poor hirings have been a contributing factor in where we are at the moment - I'd like to see this trend stopped if I'm honest.

No they haven't.  O'Neill walked out and Houllier couldn't continue due to poor health.  The only person who could be said to be sacked is McLeish, and I'd hardly say that was a result of over anxiety; more rectifying a mistake that shouldn't have been made in the first place.  Since then, we've had nearly two years of poor purchases, poor performances on the field, getting knocked out of cups by lower league opposition, and a succession of "worst ever...." records. 

It IS a hard job, granted, but Lambert clearly isn't the right person for this difficult job.

You really didn't think we played well - especially first half - then BJ?

Yesterday?  No, I'd say the first half was an equally contested half between two teams who were both low on confidence.  I wouldn't say we played "well" at all.  But then second half, we played especially badly, and got exactly what we deserved.  Nowt.

You really didn't think we played well - especially first half - then BJ?

Yesterday?  No, I'd say the first half was an equally contested half between two teams who were both low on confidence.  I wouldn't say we played "well" at all.  But then second half, we played especially badly, and got exactly what we deserved.  Nowt.

Fair enough - I thought we were good first half, closed down Newcastle excellently all over the pitch, ran the midfield, created a couple of good chances and opened up good positions but couldn't take advantage of either of these.

Second half we weren't as good in the middle of the park or forwards (Westwood going off, Benteke being terrible) but defended well on the whole - aside from Vlaar's fannying about and the bobbly deflection crap at the end.

It was a game that had 0-0 all over it, really.

Edited by bobzy

Of course he's a bullshitter, he's just scared to put the blame on the players publicly because he knows it'll be seen as throwing them under the bus and we all know he's not the type to admit to making mistakes himself. He sees the same bullshit on the pitch that 99% of Villa fans see but he's just got to answer dumb questions to the press making the least possible fuss.

Same what McLeish did! If he admits were shit he be out of a job!!!

Of course we all wan't us to stay in the league, but it isn't as easy as one or the other.

As many have stated it's not just black and white.

I don't for one second believe that playing the horrid lowgrade football we play now is our only way to get points.

The only period under Lambert when we've had decent results was when we tried to play proper football

Of course we all wan't us to stay in the league, but it isn't as easy as one or the other.

I don't for one second believe that playing the horrid lowgrade football we play now is our only way to get points.

The only period under Lambert when we've had decent results was when we tried to play proper football

I said it's not black or white in the original post - you've just avoided answering altogether.

Which is more important to fans; playing good football or staying up?

I said it's not black or white in the original post - you've just avoided answering altogether.

Look at the bold part, there is your answer.

Staying up, obviously.  But you've just inadvertently confirmed another reason why Lambert should be dismissed, as you imply that it isn't possible to stay up and play decent football.  In any case, there's a reasonable chance that we'll end up with the worst of both worlds, ie playing badly AND getting relegated.

Edited by Risso

Ok Risso.

I'm more curious as to which is genuinely preferred.  If I'm honest, I'm not 100% sure either way.

Edited by bobzy

If I had to choose I would go for unattractive football and staying in the league, rather than attractive football and being relegated.

I care about the future of our club more than Lerner, Lambert or any of our players. Being relegated would not help our future at all.

Â