Ben Flowers

chappy

Listening to the news earlier they said he faced "a ban of at least 8..." At which point I was certain they were going to say months

Couldn't believe my ears that the next word was games.

The first punch, out of frustration was worthy of an 8 game ban. Then to hit him again when he was down was bloody shocking, then throw in the fact he was unconscious!!

Edited by Genie

Listening to the news earlier they said he faced "a ban of at least 8..." At which point I was certain they were going to say months

Couldn't believe my ears that the next word was games.

The first punch, out of frustration was worthy of an 8 game ban. Then to hit him again when he was down was bloody shocking, then throw in the fact he was unconscious!!

They have different levels of offence each with a tariff, 8 games is the minimum that he will face under the particular charge he is facing. In reality I would expect his ban to be far far longer although his main issue may well be in court.

Yeah but that's only because 8 games is the minimum ban for a punch of that kind. Think it's something like "opponent off guard" or something is the factor. That makes it a minimum 8 games.

But it's in the laws as "8+" so it's very likely that he'll get considerably more.

It's like saying Suarez faced a ban of "at least 3 games" for his bite. Technically true, but always going to be considerably more.

I think the most important thing to observe here is that there was someone in the front row dressed as Hulk Hogan.

VA gets everywhere. 

• Like 1

Ben Flower: Wigan prop banned for Lance Hohaia punch

Wigan prop Ben Flower has been given a six-month ban - the longest in Super League history - for punching St Helens' Lance Hohaia.

Flower, 26, punched Hohaia to the ground two minutes into Saturday's Grand Final, then landed a second blow while the New Zealander lay prone.

He was sent off as the Warriors were beaten 14-6.

The ban until 14 April takes in 10 Super League games and the World Club Series match against Brisbane Broncos.

Hohaia had already accepted a one-game suspension for a forearm strike which came before Flower's punches

It's the longest in history and more than double the punishment for a "normal" punch.

I think it's long enough.Their regulations state that the injury of the player can be considered, so I imagine if Hohaia had been more seriously injured the ban would have been longer still.

Why are sports people exempt from law? If you did that on a  road...prison.

In a sport..BAN!

It's a fair question.  Not like there aren't witnesses and TV replays as evidence!

Â