Black managers face "hidden resistance"

Jimzk5

Surely it has to be the number of non white people APPLYING for coaching/manager roles versus coaching/manager appoiontments?

The opportunity is there for all to do their coaching badges and it looks like there is a low percentage of non white who apply to do this. What next?...there is racism in who these coaching courses are aimed at?

Their is probably a better ratio in Prermier League of black managers than black goalkeepers in the league and is that racism as well. 

Can only think of Howard and Vorm who is playing in top flight at moment

• 4 weeks later...

With all the racism that managers face, its surprising to see jimmy Floyd hasselbaink lead burton Albion to promotion from league 2 to league 1 this season

And very little has been said about a black manager doing a good job.

• Like 1

With all the racism that managers face, its surprising to see jimmy Floyd hasselbaink lead burton Albion to promotion from league 2 to league 1 this season

He was one of the very few Leeds players I quite liked.
  • Like 1

he was on SSN earlier discussing how he has done well at Burton and was asked about the "rooney rule" and said it was ridiculous to appoint a manager on colour or even interview one on that basis, because a manager should be appointed on merit and nothing else.

he was on SSN earlier discussing how he has done well at Burton and was asked about the "rooney rule" and said it was ridiculous to appoint a manager on colour or even interview one on that basis, because a manager should be appointed on merit and nothing else.

what a racist.

• 1 month later...

The Football League is one step closer to introducing a ‘Rooney Rule’ in a bid to increase the number of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) managers and coaches in the sport by promoting open and transparent recruitment practices.

Further talks will take place between the clubs and the Football League with the aim finalising the proposals in time for a formal vote at their 2016 Annual General Meeting ahead of potential implementation in 2016/17.

The recommendations were developed after a six month process of engagement with sports and inclusion campaign organisations in the UK and abroad including The FA, the Premier League, PFA, LMA, Kick it Out, the Sports People's Think Tank and NFL.

The League’s proposals have also received the backing of Dan Rooney, the Chairman of the Pittsburgh Steelers and the architect of the NFL’s 'Rooney Rule’.

Football League Chairman, Greg Clarke said: "I would like to thank our clubs for giving me a mandate to continue this important work.  I’m also grateful to Dan Rooney and the NFL, as well as other well informed and intentioned stakeholders for the support they have given us during this review.

"It is important that The Football League takes the lead in this area as our 72 clubs will provide the majority of employment opportunities and that football's other stakeholders support our initiative.

“I am in no doubt, whatsoever, that our clubs make employment decisions for managerial and coaching positions on the basis of merit alone.  They do so because they believe the relevant individuals are the right people to take their club forward.

"However, it is also apparent that this is an industry that places great value on previous experience and personal relationships which can sometimes act as a barrier to those that are less able to get a foot in the door.

“These proposals are intended to try and address such issues, which seem to disproportionately affect those from a BAME background, while at the same time leaving employment decisions solely in the hands of clubs, as it should always be for them to decide who they wish to employ."

Dan Rooney said: "I am encouraged to see The Football League taking inspiration from the work of the NFL while creating a programme of measures that are tailored to the specific challenges facing English soccer.

“I hope these proposals make the same impact in England that the Rooney Rule has in the NFL.”

Clarke presented the following recommendations following a review which began in October 2014.

Introduce mandatory new recruitment practices in Academy football that would make it compulsory for clubs to interview at least one BAME candidate (where an application has been received) for all Youth Development roles requiring a minimum of a UEFA B coaching licence.  The League should also set a target of between 10% and 20% (to be agreed in due course) of these positions being filled by BAME coaches by 2019.
Adopt a Voluntary Recruitment Code for first team football under which clubs would commit to interview a BAME candidate (where an application has been received) for any managerial or coaching position except in the specific instance of an individual being recruited from another club on terms agreed between the two parties.  It is anticipated this would be piloted by 5-10 clubs during 2016/17 ahead of wider adoption.
Work with relevant stakeholders to introduce processes aimed at identifying current BAME coaches and players with the potential and aspiration to coach in professional football.  This would include the creation of a ‘ready-list’ of qualified candidates to be used by clubs when recruiting.
Cooperate with stakeholders to upskill potential candidates and provide suitable networking opportunities with club decision makers.
Heather Rabbatts, Chair of The Football Association’s Inclusion Advisory Board, welcomed the recommendations.

“The Football League's announcement today is a significant moment for all of us involved in the game and ensuring that our collective commitment to securing representation of Black, Asian and ethnic minority coaches and managers is realised," said Rabbatts.

"The Rooney Rule provided a lightning rod across the NFL and The FA and our Inclusion Advisory Board has been working with colleagues to develop a response which together creates a step change.

"A crucial component in achieving this is the Football League and its 72 clubs. This agreement which includes mandatory rules for recruitment into academies together with identifying volunteer clubs to pilot new procedures designed to include BAME candidates on shortlists is a crucial development to increase opportunity and representation.

"It is only by collective action and shared responsibility that we will truly end discrimination and open up the pathways for talent."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9875482/football-leagues-rooney-rule-moves-a-step-closer

its going to happen

well done paul ince and sol campbell, a victory for the not good enough and the under qualified 

you'll do well to convince me we need this, taking football (and eventually no doubt society) somewhere it doesnt need to go

terrible idea. Hasselbaink and Powell have had good seasons because they are good managers and I think any rational black manager themselves would agree its a terrible idea

Also I saw Paul Ince do his greatest ever Ireland XI the other day, that was proof in itself he has no idea about football

Eh, doesn't bother me. In fact having the rule will probably shut up racists like Sol Campbell to a certain extent as it's one less thing to complain about.

I think it will give the likes of sol Campbell and jason Roberts something else to whinge about

"look, black managers are being interviewed and still aren't being given jobs, its racism"

This Rooney rule will cause more trouble, football clubs will now be under more pressure to hire black or ethnic minority staff just because, well they are being made too in a roundabout way, whether they are right for the role or not

Edited by Jimzk5

Dunno how many times it needs to be pointed out, but no club has to employ a black manager, they just have to interview one and show they were considered. The notion that it will promote 'the not good enough and the under qualified' is absurd. 

• Like 1

Fanstastic news! hopefully we see some good new faces rather than the old tosh like Phil Brown, Gary Megson etc etc

You mean like Sherwood, Monk, Carver and Ramsey?

No I mean like, Phil Brown , Megson, Warnock, Redknapp, Allerdyce, Bruce, Mclaren and so on and so on. The same old faces playing the same old football in a boring managerial merry go round system.

You only need to go back a couple of months and see what managers were available to Villa when lambert left to see the quality out there.

Fanstastic news! hopefully we see some good new faces rather than the old tosh like Phil Brown, Gary Megson etc etc

You mean like Sherwood, Monk, Carver and Ramsey?

No I mean like, Phil Brown , Megson, Warnock, Redknapp, Allerdyce, Bruce, Mclaren and so on and so on. The same old faces playing the same old football in a boring managerial merry go round system.

You only need to go back a couple of months and see what managers were available to Villa when lambert left to see the quality out there.

The names I mentioned are managers who've recently got their first job, "new faces" as you put it. That's 20% of the managers who finished the season who're basically "new" to management really, quite a lot IMO for the top level.

You can't just say you need new managers though. Steve McLaren is an outstanding manager IMO, it's ridiculous he's not in the Premier League.

Dunno how many times it needs to be pointed out, but no club has to employ a black manager, they just have to interview one and show they were considered. The notion that it will promote 'the not good enough and the under qualified' is absurd.

Precisely, Clubs are not even giving the chance to interview to Black Managers, this is all they are asking for, an oppourtunity to prove their talent. But instead you get people clinging on to failures like Ince, Campbell and Barnes and then painting a whole race with the same brush.

How many Whelans, Mackays and Terry types are there out there unexposed?

Precisely, Clubs are not even giving the chance to interview to Black Managers, this is all they are asking for, an oppourtunity to prove their talent. But instead you get people clinging on to failures like Ince, Campbell and Barnes and then painting a whole race with the same brush.

How many Whelans, Mackays and Terry types are there out there unexposed?

really? this is not 1960s Mississippi. Clubs arent going out of their way not to give black managers a chance

Â