Black managers face "hidden resistance"

Jimzk5

Fanstastic news! hopefully we see some good new faces rather than the old tosh like Phil Brown, Gary Megson etc etc

You mean like Sherwood, Monk, Carver and Ramsey?
No I mean like, Phil Brown , Megson, Warnock, Redknapp, Allerdyce, Bruce, Mclaren and so on and so on. The same old faces playing the same old football in a boring managerial merry go round system.

You only need to go back a couple of months and see what managers were available to Villa when lambert left to see the quality out there.

The names I mentioned are managers who've recently got their first job, "new faces" as you put it. That's 20% of the managers who finished the season who're basically "new" to management really, quite a lot IMO for the top level.

You can't just say you need new managers though. Steve McLaren is an outstanding manager IMO, it's ridiculous he's not in the Premier League.

Carver and Ramsey only got their jobs due to the tightness of their chairmen not wanting to commit to another manager. They were Caretakers taking over the role.

I can and I did, Mclaren, flopped with England, chased out of Villa before he even got the job and released from Championship Derby.

Last year there was 2 black managers now there are 6 so the attention to the subject is working. but 6 out of 92 shows a massive sign of imbalance.

McLaren flopped with Derby? Might want to check where they were when he took over. Was brilliant at Derby and in Holland. International management isn't the same as club football. His only disappointment is a short time at Wolfsburg in a long managerial career.

Do you have stats on the ratio to whites:blacks applying for managerial jobs? If not, how can you say it's unbalanced?

As you said, some managers get the job through a caretaker type role. Monk and Sherwood proved themselves in the role to get a permanent job. Ramsey was awful, yet somehow kept his job.

Edited by kurtsimonw

The fact people are to be even given a chance not due to merit but the colour of their skin, is what is really "absurd". PC gone mad.

There is abundant evidence that appearance, including skin colour, affects hiring decisions across many different industries. For just one example of how people in an entertainment industry have tried to combat both racism and sexism in hiring decisions, most major metropolitan orchestras now conduct 'blind auditions' behind a screen. The evidence we have points to the theory of 'aversive racism', ie. subconsciously holding female and minority candidates in lower regard, without bearing any conscious ill-will towards them, being both real and statistically-significant in hiring decisions. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Dunno how many times it needs to be pointed out, but no club has to employ a black manager, they just have to interview one and show they were considered. The notion that it will promote 'the not good enough and the under qualified' is absurd.

Precisely, Clubs are not even giving the chance to interview to Black Managers, this is all they are asking for, an oppourtunity to prove their talent. But instead you get people clinging on to failures like Ince, Campbell and Barnes and then painting a whole race with the same brush.

How many Whelans, Mackays and Terry types are there out there unexposed?

really? this is not 1960s Mississippi. Clubs arent going out of their way not to give black managers a chance

Do you know that? or are you assuming?

Pretty sure Les Ferdinand openly said black managers were not even getting interviews. So yes, clubs MAY not be going "out of their way" to give black managers a chance, but they are DEFINITELy not giving black managers a chance.

The thing that annoys me about all of this, is that people keep mentioning the amount of black and ethnic minority players compared to the amount of black and ethnic minority managers, but I can't be alone in thinking that the skillsets of being a player are laregely different to the skillsets required for being a manager.

Yes, some players will already have the intelligence, knowledge and interest in formations and tactics, motivational skills and drive to be a manager. But many of them are simply footballers who are great at playing football. Which doesn't equal 'skills to be a manager'.

I'm sure there's a small percentage of wannabe managers who can get by, simply by having been a great footballer, saying things like "I won the Champions League, listen to me and you'll not go far wrong!".... but that can surely only get you so far? You need more skills, which simply being a footballer wont give you.

There are managers out there who have never played football past youth level, so this whole "There are more [insert nationality or ethnicity] players, why aren't there that many managers?!?!?!" argument just seems like a load of ball bags to me.

Dunno how many times it needs to be pointed out, but no club has to employ a black manager, they just have to interview one and show they were considered. The notion that it will promote 'the not good enough and the under qualified' is absurd.

Precisely, Clubs are not even giving the chance to interview to Black Managers, this is all they are asking for, an oppourtunity to prove their talent. But instead you get people clinging on to failures like Ince, Campbell and Barnes and then painting a whole race with the same brush.

How many Whelans, Mackays and Terry types are there out there unexposed?

really? this is not 1960s Mississippi. Clubs arent going out of their way not to give black managers a chance

Do you know that? or are you assuming?

Pretty sure Les Ferdinand openly said black managers were not even getting interviews. So yes, clubs MAY not be going "out of their way" to give black managers a chance, but they are DEFINITELy not giving black managers a chance.

Must be true if he said it.

What about all those Indian .pakastani Chinese Japanese managers ? I suppose they must all be considered for a position too ?

In my opinion if your good enough then your good enough.

I don't doubt for one minute there are racially motivated chairmen but surely not all 92 top flight clubs ?

Edited by dounavilla
  • Like 1

Â