Euro 2016 General Chat

MrDuck

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Definitely should be scrapped, it's boring and only serves to tire teams out for future games, which negatively impacts the quality of said games. ET was actually a lot more exciting when it had the golden goal.

That's a very good point.  I don't mind extra time in club competitions over a longer timespan but during international tournament football it has a disproportionately negative effect on the winning side.

It would be an interesting statistical study to see how teams have fared in finals tournaments the round after going to extra time.  Has extra time effectively knocked both sides out by the next round, over and above the normal rate.

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

last World Cup Netherlands 3 knockout games all went the distance and then hammered Brazil in the meaningless 3rd placed play-off though could be a one-off. 

Yeah and a 3rd placed playoff, especially for Brazil, is another extenuating circumstance.  You're playing a dead rubber in effect.  I'd keep it to genuinely meaningful games with no questions as to each side's motivations.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

said it before penalties after 90 minutes as then 1 team knows they have to attack in the extra 30 minutes plus would give both teams a breather

Hockey goes from 5 vs 5 to 3 vs 3 in extra time. I would do something like that; starting 10 vs 10 and then reduce it every ten minutes.

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Isn't it basically the same as any multi tiered league system evs? In order to work your way to the top you have to show that you can consistently beat teams previously considered better than you.

It's pretty much the entire basis of football as we know it. 

But that is not what was said.....at some stage you do have to play the best teams. The best teams in the mini league end up playing the unfancied teams that are left and vice versa, so no.

and there is not a knock competition at the end of multi- tiered league system unless you include the play offs.....but not in the prem.

look, i know why they do it, to keep the competition interesting by keeping the fancied teams in for as long as possible.....hence my comment.

if it was a simple knockout competition, i wouldn't have made it.

I'm torn.  I'm still annoyed about the video of them singing and dancing when England lost but I'll forgive that because I love Wales as a place and I identify as British rather than English. I should be cheering for them, and I probably would be if the game were on ITV but it's on the BBC and that just reminds me that Robbie **** Savage exists. 

Â