Finals

limpid

What I find sad is that this could be the last time I see a lot of these players at a World Cup.

Kuyt is 33 now, don't see him playing another one, have my doubts about the Euros.

Sneijder, Van Persie and Robben are all 30 now, at 34 they may be around but it may be pushing it.

Van Dar Vaart who missed out is 31, don't expect to see him at another, nor Heitinga who I had a lot of respect for at Ajax.

If this isn't the end of an era, we're on the verge of it.

I've had a similar, albeit more personal realisation too.   I'm 35 now and it dawned on me that this will probably be the last World Cup somebody who was born in the 1970s (like me) will score in. The first World Cup I remember is Mexico 86 but the first one I really watched was Italia 90 & since then people from my decade have scored in every world cup. I doubt any will in Russia. 

Interesting perspective. I am 27 so this world cup where I am same age as the average world cup player. Russia 2018 I will be 31. Without being pedantic, I dont think any players born in the 70s would have scored in Italia 90, but I may be wrong.

I've gone and checked.  I assumed there would be a teenage goalscorer at Italia 90, and I was correct!  Ronald Gonzales born in 1970 and he scored against Czechoslovakia aged 19. :D

Ok that's fair enough. Is he the only one?

Vlaar has been the best individual defender at the tournament IMO

For me as well. He is getting very high praise from our commentating team now and its deserved.

Strength, speed and timing. He has continually improved since joining us, hope he manages to get a goal or something tonight.

What I find sad is that this could be the last time I see a lot of these players at a World Cup.

Kuyt is 33 now, don't see him playing another one, have my doubts about the Euros.

Sneijder, Van Persie and Robben are all 30 now, at 34 they may be around but it may be pushing it.

Van Dar Vaart who missed out is 31, don't expect to see him at another, nor Heitinga who I had a lot of respect for at Ajax.

If this isn't the end of an era, we're on the verge of it.

I've had a similar, albeit more personal realisation too.   I'm 35 now and it dawned on me that this will probably be the last World Cup somebody who was born in the 1970s (like me) will score in. The first World Cup I remember is Mexico 86 but the first one I really watched was Italia 90 & since then people from my decade have scored in every world cup. I doubt any will in Russia. 

Interesting perspective. I am 27 so this world cup where I am same age as the average world cup player. Russia 2018 I will be 31. Without being pedantic, I dont think any players born in the 70s would have scored in Italia 90, but I may be wrong.

I've gone and checked.  I assumed there would be a teenage goalscorer at Italia 90, and I was correct!  Ronald Gonzales born in 1970 and he scored against Czechoslovakia aged 19. :D

Ok that's fair enough. Is he the only one?

Dunno. I only needed one and as soon as I found him I stopped looking. :lol: 

Vlaar has been the best individual defender at the tournament IMO

For me as well. He is getting very high praise from our commentating team now and its deserved.

Strength, speed and timing. He has continually improved since joining us, hope he manages to get a goal or something tonight.

Not mentioned by these two words removed though.

Robbie Savage XI

Tim Sherwood XI