Group D: URU CRC ENG ITA

limpid

lampard starting as captain, gerrard on the bench

and we wonder where we go wrong...

no doubt its all part of the FAs grand plan to get lampard a token job as U21 manager or head of development in a few years time  :rolleyes:

old boys club

• Like 1

I think Hodgson does have us heading in the right direction, all be it quite vaguely. 

There aren't many people who were complaining about his team selections before the games against Italy and Uruguay. People really should evaluate actual ability of the team before criticising Hodgson too much. In my opinion,  the 2 centre backs let us down slightly in both games, yet there were no realistic alternatives. The pair of them should know how to pick up opposition strikers without Hodgson having to spoon feed them advice. For me, there are very few star players in this team and I think Hodgson did a good job getting them to the World Cup in the first place. The media may hype them up, but the likes of Sterling, Barkley and Wellbeck are scarcely good enough to hold down regular spots in their own sides, let alone an international team with World cup ambitions. With this in mind, I think we've performed perhaps even more admirably than in recent World Cups, certainly when you factor in the ability of the players.

• Like 2

Yes I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter who the manager is its not going to make much difference. We don't have enough quality English players. Lack of choice in the cb position. Few options up front and lack of quality in the centre of midfield. We build up players too quickly in this country. I rate Sterling but he has looked good alongside a world class player in Suarez for his club. Barkley is over-rated at this stage of his career. He is certainly a long way from being the next Gazza. Welbeck just isn't international quality but what choices do we have Lambert ffs. A player of his ability wouldn't get anywhere near the squad in years gone by.

I think Hodgson does have us heading in the right direction, all be it quite vaguely. 

There aren't many people who were complaining about his team selections before the games against Italy and Uruguay. People really should evaluate actual ability of the team before criticising Hodgson too much. In my opinion,  the 2 centre backs let us down slightly in both games, yet there were no realistic alternatives. The pair of them should know how to pick up opposition strikers without Hodgson having to spoon feed them advice. For me, there are very few star players in this team and I think Hodgson did a good job getting them to the World Cup in the first place. The media may hype them up, but the likes of Sterling, Barkley and Wellbeck are scarcely good enough to hold down regular spots in their own sides, let alone an international team with World cup ambitions. With this in mind, I think we've performed perhaps even more admirably than in recent World Cups, certainly when you factor in the ability of the players.

Basically my opinion of it.

It's like Hodgson has got us pointing in the right direction but hasn't got the power to get us there.

I don't necessarily think a new manager would be a bad thing, but it would be very very easy, at this stage, to appoint the wrong person who'd turn the ship back round.

• Like 1

Highlight players for England and ones to build a future around are Barkley, Sterling and Sturridge.

Players like Delph should really be given a chance now too.

Hodgson does that though.

Look at the team now compared to the one that played in Euro 2012. It's totally different.

Yeah you still have the odd old head in there, but he really has given plenty of young players a chance

• Like 1

Highlight players for England and ones to build a future around are Barkley, Sterling and Sturridge.

Players like Delph should really be given a chance now too.

Hodgson does that though.

Look at the team now compared to the one that played in Euro 2012. It's totally different.

Yeah you still have the odd old head in there, but he really has given plenty of young players a chance

I mean start with Barkley though, he's so positive on the ball.

England didn't look fit enough imo.

Thought they finished both games strongly myself, but it's all about opinions!

I think Barkley's been over hyped already to be honest.

He's a great prospect. But I don't think he's shown enough in an England shirt to prove he should be starting yet.

• Like 1

i think barkley might have the problem that he wants to operate in the same areas that rooney likes to as well, thought that after we scored vs uruguay and started to get a bit of emphasis going they all got a bit congested, if we play barkley then push rooney further up the pitch, which i dont think rooney has the discipline to do