Group D: URU CRC ENG ITA

limpid

Considering the last game is meaningless why not throw in all the guys who aint played yet. Just chuck them in. The likes of Smalling, Jones, Shaw etc

You would think doing this will be obvious. No doubt Gerrard still plays though.

Agree

Don't think he says why though, Luke shaw about to sign a £100k a week deal at utd (if we are to believe the rags) no other country does it, we do it over and over, star U19 players on £30k a week at Chelsea...

Abroad they make a career out of football, in England they don't need to because after 1 year they have everything they want

Edited by villa4europe

That's a great article. Same thing is likely to happen to Barkley and Shaw and Sterling and other promising English youngsters. I know there's no money in it but the English team would get a lot better if their youngsters would go abroad to learn different styles of play.

There are many reasons why England are no good. Too many foreign players in our top leagues, not enough quality in our players or coaching staff, lack of strength in depth, our best players are past their best etc.

Also, look at how many of the best players from the top countries play outside of their own leagues. All of our players, last night, play in our own league. How many Uruguayans play in their own country?

Overall, we just aren't good enough. I don't think I will ever see England win anything in my lifetime and I'm 42 now.

I don't want to get into this argument (another thread) but too many foreigners argument is laughable. 

1. English Premier League IS the best league in the world

2. Every one of English internationals is a starter at their club

3. That's right, because mr Chi or mr Kowalski are better than Smith and Murphy we should just get rid of them. I am sure that this will improve Smith and Murphy (because a lack of competition is very healthy for development isnt it).

rubbish. I'd say take away the private chopper away from Barkley before he gets rotten as well...

Correct.

I started the thread about this and I stand by it. The argument that too many foreigners in the league is hurting the national team is, imo, nonsense.

It's a go to excuse but there's no evidence for it at all. If anything, it's beneficial.

Beneficial to who? The foreign players are benefitting and so are the clubs who sign them. But, the national side is weaker than I can ever remember and IMO that is partly due to the number of foreign players in our country.

I'm not just talking about foreign players who start for their clubs. I'm talking about those who are a lot younger and taking academy places that young English kids could have, as well.

With the stated shortage of English coaches, probably because of the cost for the badges, maybe we should bring some foreign coaches into the country. Maybe we can stay politically correct then!

There are many reasons why England are no good. Too many foreign players in our top leagues, not enough quality in our players or coaching staff, lack of strength in depth, our best players are past their best etc.

Also, look at how many of the best players from the top countries play outside of their own leagues. All of our players, last night, play in our own league. How many Uruguayans play in their own country?

Overall, we just aren't good enough. I don't think I will ever see England win anything in my lifetime and I'm 42 now.

I don't want to get into this argument (another thread) but too many foreigners argument is laughable. 

1. English Premier League IS the best league in the world

2. Every one of English internationals is a starter at their club

3. That's right, because mr Chi or mr Kowalski are better than Smith and Murphy we should just get rid of them. I am sure that this will improve Smith and Murphy (because a lack of competition is very healthy for development isnt it).

rubbish. I'd say take away the private chopper away from Barkley before he gets rotten as well...

Correct.

I started the thread about this and I stand by it. The argument that too many foreigners in the league is hurting the national team is, imo, nonsense.

It's a go to excuse but there's no evidence for it at all. If anything, it's beneficial.

Beneficial to who? The foreign players are benefitting and so are the clubs who sign them. But, the national side is weaker than I can ever remember and IMO that is partly due to the number of foreign players in our country.

I'm not just talking about foreign players who start for their clubs. I'm talking about those who are a lot younger and taking academy places that young English kids could have, as well.

With the stated shortage of English coaches, probably because of the cost for the badges, maybe we should bring some foreign coaches into the country. Maybe we can stay politically correct then!

So you don't think English players like Henderson, Sturridge or Sterling have benefitted from playing with the likes of Suarez, Lucas Leiva or Coutinho?

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Considering the last game is meaningless why not throw in all the guys who aint played yet. Just chuck them in. The likes of Smalling, Jones, Shaw etc

You would think doing this will be obvious. No doubt Gerrard still plays though.

Yep and the other underachiever Lampard to be given a start, giving both players a good old send off for all the mediocre years they gave England fans. 

Was just saying that to my cousin yesterday. Sven was a decent manager unfairly treated. Qualified for 3 tournaments in a row without even needing a playoff. And 3 quarter finals exits, 2 of which were penalty shoot outs. He did of course benefit from a great squad, the 2006 individuals were amazing, but you can't argue with his record.

Think we've missed Ox tbf

I'm not convinced he'd have played him anyway

Part of me thinks that Roy picks his 11 and the picks a formation / tactics to fit them all in

And I didn't hear it but I've seen Durham on talkshite last night had a phone in on how unfair it is that countries always raise their game when playing England...

Did see on SSN earlier nick Collins say "this could well be England's worst world cup ever, but we shouldn't forget they had a very hard group"

The excuses have begun already, dyke has said Roy is safe, no one questions it, no one questions the players, everyone in the media just seems happy enough to accept it and move on, to euro 2016 where of course with the likes of sterling and Barkley, you know our next batch of "world class" players, we'll be ok

What the **** is going on?

• Like 2

I reckon he should have just taken Terry. We're not good enough to leave players out for non footballing reasons regardless of how disruptive they are.

Best centre half pairing in the league.

The Sven years don't look so bad now!

I never thought they were. We lost on penalties twice and were beaten just about by eventual winners. But I think the biggest difference is we always had a pretty solid defence.