Group B: SPA NED CHI AUS

limpid

I think the referee is giving everything Chile's way. Anyone agree?

Nope thought he was pretty fair.

Agree with this. Couldn't breathe on Sanchez without a foul being given and we had a few harsh calls, but the ref was good overall.

Chile have no chance in this group. Their attack is meant to be excellent but they didn't show a great deal against what is a Championship level defence from guys that have about 10 caps between them. Sadly for Chile, their own defense is not much better. They will be exposed by both Spain and the Netherlands.

As for Australia - had they not started so nervously, who knows? Shows what a difference a decent manager can make even with limited resources. (And yes - that is a subtle dig at Lambert).

Pretty disappointed. I thought we deserved a draw in the end. Ref was OK but bottled a few big ones for us late in the game especially the free kick to Troisi that wasn't paid. Worst thing about that ref was he kept getting in the way.

I'm pleased with how we played. Earned a bit of respect despite the score.

I agree though that Chile don't have the defence to get too much further

Honestly, goes beyond just a dodgy defence - at 2-0 Chile should have bossed the game and shut down any chance the Aussies had to test their defense. It just looks like as soon as their initial intensity dropped they just looked a lot poorer all over - lacking ideas and flair and organisation. I'm assuming it was nerves, and that Chile are better than they showed in that match.

Still, looks like they'll struggle to get past Spain no matter the goal difference.

• Like 1

Brave effort from our boys, that nervous start killed us, and we just didn't have the cutting edge to grab the equaliser despite a few good chances.

I felt we were pretty hard done by overall by the ref. I'd have forgiven him if he'd given what was a clear foul just outside the box to Troisi but it wasn't to be.

Their 3rd goal was a top finish.

Cahill and Bresciano were in vintage form and Leckie played very well I felt. Cahill was dominant in the air. I feel like Spain and Holland will destroy Chile if they can get some good crosses in. They just couldn't defend the crosses at all.

Overall a bit sad with the result as we weren't far away from nicking a well deserved point, but happy with the performance. I was expecting a cricket score after they got a couple past us in quick succession.

• Like 1

Honestly, goes beyond just a dodgy defence - at 2-0 Chile should have bossed the game and shut down any chance the Aussies had to test their defense. It just looks like as soon as their initial intensity dropped they just looked a lot poorer all over - lacking ideas and flair and organisation. I'm assuming it was nerves, and that Chile are better than they showed in that match.

Still, looks like they'll struggle to get past Spain no matter the goal difference.

We were only really a threat with the aerial balls, and once we'd scored from one and had a couple of other good chances including the disallowed goal, they panicked a bit, defended a lot harder out wide and gave us space through the middle. We didn't have the class to deal with it, but we've shown a very simple way for a good side to beat them. Get a lot of crosses in. If Tim Cahill years past his prime and playing in the MLS can dominate them in the air like that, the likes of Van Persie and Diego Costa should have a field day.

Haven't seen the Holland game. Did Vlaar play and how did he do?

Vlaar was pretty immense to be honest - played in the middle of three centre backs and never gave Diego Costa a sniff.

Try and catch the highlights - it was a cracking match!

Edited by theboyangel

I will. Three at back eh?

Yes and fortunately for Holland and Vlaar, the other two weren't Baker and Clark ;)

Aye. Looked very comfortable with quality around him.

Made a few very important tackles and covered well as the middle of the back 3. I'm struggling to think of more than a couple of chances for Spain, despite them having most of the ball - especially in the first half. Good game from our captain.

• Like 3

I think Chile does have a good chance of qualifying this group. Although yesterday result everybody thought Australia would melt down, But they've played quite good. I heard they were doing ok in friendlies.

If Chile could go with something like 5-3-2, I think they could somehow cover their mistakes and probably play a nervy spain side. If they somehow got a goal and tried to focus on countering with Sanchez I think they have a good chance to have a result. Spain defence couldn't cope with quick players (Where are you Gabby lol).

I think Chile does have a good chance of qualifying this group. Although yesterday result everybody thought Australia would melt down, But they've played quite good. I heard they were doing ok in friendlies.

If Chile could go with something like 5-3-2, I think they could somehow cover their mistakes and probably play a nervy spain side. If they somehow got a goal and tried to focus on countering with Sanchez I think they have a good chance to have a result. Spain defence couldn't cope with quick players (Where are you Gabby lol).

Chile have the pace and quality going forward to beat the lesser sides and cause headaches for the bigger sides, but I think they are awful at the back and can be overpowered in midfield. I think Spain will qualify with Holland from this group.

• Like 1

Talk of the end of an era for Spain. Slightly premature I think.

Is it though? I think we've all seen Barca begin to decline and their players are pretty much the backbone of the Spain team. They need a change, 'tiki taka' has been defeated domestically and internationally so it would seem, they could easily stay successful by using a different system though as their squad is fantastic.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG7WoNI4uQY

From the man who brought us "DENNIS BERGKAMP! DENNIS BERGKAMP! DENNIS BERGKAMP! DENNIS BERGKAMP! DENNIS BERGKAMP! AHHHHHOOOHHHHHAAAA!!!"

• Like 2