Played my mate at this last night. we used to be about even, but **** me he's gotten good.

His pressing game is insane. no matter what I did I never seemed to get more than a second on the ball, if that, and he read my passes like a book. He was everywhere. I don't understand how people play like that. i try but I can't do it.

I scraped a 2-1 defeat, but I didn't really deserve it.

I prefer PC generally because it's a better long term investment. 

I can get games half price than most console games if you look hard enough.

I got fifa for £29 in November, that's pretty decent. 

I got shadow of Mordor for £12.99 on a special promotion. You don't get that new for console. Just doesn't happen. 

My computer cost me 500 and I can run any PC game at the moment on Ultra high and full AA. 

xbox one at the time was still 399 so for an extra £100 and games half price it was a no brainer for me. 

Played my mate at this last night. we used to be about even, but **** me he's gotten good.

His pressing game is insane. no matter what I did I never seemed to get more than a second on the ball, if that, and he read my passes like a book. He was everywhere. I don't understand how people play like that. i try but I can't do it.

I scraped a 2-1 defeat, but I didn't really deserve it.

Find out!  Ask him!  I need to know this too!  From the research I've done it seems that some of it is down to custom tactics etc.  I get absolutely hammered by people playing like that.

They all say it's just practice.  I've asked people I've played against, I've asked on FIFA forums.  It's driving me nuts.  You can't play against it, you just get splattered.  Their players react first, they race directly to your man and win the ball before you've had chance to control it, they defend deep and break at speed, and you're always swamped but they're always in acres of space.

It's not practice, it's a flaw in the game engine.  I just can't figure out the exploit.

That's what I said to him. It felt unplayable.

I realise I'm not a very good player anyway, but I was trying everything. And I don't mean everything to win, I mean just everything to get the ball in any sort of space to have a second to think.

i've had people tell me that when they play me. all i do is cut off passing lanes, second man press using RB and sometimes the high pressure quick tactic. never keep it on too long though cause it knackers the players.

you can always create a custom tactic to press even more though.

i never recommend pressing too much though as it leaves players out of position a lot.

It does take practice.

I've never used a Custom Tactic, in fact I don't even know how to.

I take standard free kicks, corners, team formation is just a basic 4-3-3. If I bothered to work out how to set up my team properly I'd be invincible.

I just prefer playing my own way though. I'll never lower myself to other people's levels where they run at you from a kick off.

They all say it's just practice.  I've asked people I've played against, I've asked on FIFA forums.  It's driving me nuts.  You can't play against it, you just get splattered.  Their players react first, they race directly to your man and win the ball before you've had chance to control it, they defend deep and break at speed, and you're always swamped but they're always in acres of space.

It's not practice, it's a flaw in the game engine.  I just can't figure out the exploit.

Hold down R1 (RB Xbox), let the AI press and control another defender and anticipate where they are going to make a pass. 9 times out of 10 they will exploit a lobbed through ball, if you let the AI press his player on the ball for you, you will win back possession with the player you're controlling easily. 

Defending is an absolute piece of piss on this game if you don't do it like most people do.

Also, use R2/RT to jockey them when it's a 1 on 1 with your defender. Never jump in, they will run out of ideas and either run into your player or turn and play it backwards. Also, if you are jockeying them then there's more of a chance that your defender will intercept the pass they make than if you ran towards them.

Edited by villarule123
  • Like 1

I actually created a custom tactic last year where i made my players press less and play a deeper defensive line because dribbling was harder and everyone used the same 90 pace strikers. It meant they could never get in behind. I highly doubt that would work this year as the dribbling is just ridiculously broken. Every half decent player can change direction like Messi.

You can adjust that in the matchmaking settings. I've made it I only play teams of equal star rating and team type (club vs club/international vs international)

Even with the filter on you get matched up against Roma, Liverpool, Spurs with Stoke. It's ridiculous.

The amount of people playing as Roma now, giving the ball to Doumbia and holding run is just shit. The game is wank 'cos too many people exploit the shit parts of it. 

When you come up against a player who plays football, this game is really rewarding. But it's too easy to exploit pace. Will EA ever fix this issue? Same problems year in year out. Pace abuse, chip through balls. 

They all say it's just practice. I've asked people I've played against, I've asked on FIFA forums. It's driving me nuts. You can't play against it, you just get splattered. Their players react first, they race directly to your man and win the ball before you've had chance to control it, they defend deep and break at speed, and you're always swamped but they're always in acres of space.

It's not practice, it's a flaw in the game engine. I just can't figure out the exploit.

Hold down R1 (RB Xbox), let the AI press and control another defender and anticipate where they are going to make a pass. 9 times out of 10 they will exploit a lobbed through ball, if you let the AI press his player on the ball for you, you will win back possession with the player you're controlling easily.

Defending is an absolute piece of piss on this game if you don't do it like most people do.

Also, use R2/RT to jockey them when it's a 1 on 1 with your defender. Never jump in, they will run out of ideas and either run into your player or turn and play it backwards. Also, if you are jockeying them then there's more of a chance that your defender will intercept the pass they make than if you ran towards them.

The problem with using R1 is I find it easy to accidentally pull your back four out of position using that and then the lobbed through balls just tear you apart.

I need to learn how to do it though as I am shit at defending. Definitely my weak point.

I also find that if I use the teammate press button then the opposition just run round the defender. Ie they'll press but not actually do anything when they get there.

Whereas playing my mate he was pressing me and making a tackle pretty much before I got the ball!

Used to see it all the time, its just high pressure, high aggression set in tactics with you quickly swapping between players to make the tackles. You can find the custom tactics all over the internet and see people doing it on youtube etc. Its a horrible way of playing but to each his own, part of the reason i haven't touched Fifa in 2 months.

As for guessing which way most people are going to go, the general rule is people cut back or cut in on themselves, thats why you feel like hes reading your mind. You just have to do the opposite of what you normally would in certain situations to throw them off.

I remember when we all had Fifa 13 and we all went on together, that was when FiFa was fun. 

great chat and actually when we clicked we were unstoppable. 

We were also woeful, and I enjoyed the awful football puns we came out with as well. 

"couldn't cross a road"

"couldn't finish yourself off"

"couldn't pass urine" 

yadda yadda. 

Shame no one has a PC apart from me :(

I also find that if I use the teammate press button then the opposition just run round the defender. Ie they'll press but not actually do anything when they get there.

Whereas playing my mate he was pressing me and making a tackle pretty much before I got the ball!

Exactly the same - I fully understand RB pressing etc but some of these lads, their players just race straight at me and smash my guy to the ground.  They ALWAYS win the ball.  I can tell when I've played someone like that as they'll either have made 15-20 tackles by the end of the game, or only 3-4 (think the shoulder smash doesn't count as a tackle) and my passing will be at 40% accuracy whereas his will be at 70-80% accuracy.  Interceptions and shoulder charges galore.  Typically my own passing will be 70%ish and I'll have over 50% possession.  Just against these scrubs!

Â