$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

Oh, that photo makes me sad, I miss Nike making our kits :(

Really? You like stock kits that had no unique input at all?

I much prefer them over anything Macron has produced so far and i didnt even buy the last 2-3 nike ones.

I don't know how I'd feel about this Doyen group, if the rumour turned out to be more than that. They seem to have plans in place and obviously some knowledge/contacts regarding promising players, however, would they buy a team to make them a success, or just to make a profit?

If you're making a profit with a football team then isn't that due to them being successful? or have I just made that up?

You can make a profit each year and not be successful. 

Most of the most successful teams run at huge losses - Chelsea, Man City, PSG, Real Madrid, etc...  (Man Utd being the exception)

Whilst i think West Brom are the only other profitable team in the Premier League and they are not successful - unless you count mid-lower table a success, which they probably do.

I haven't read this but apparently it says that the Doyen 200 Million investment will be into Serie A.

NEXT!

I believe their CEO's quotes on Bloomberg over that to be fair, he stated himself that its the Premier League they want to work within.

• Like 1

I haven't read this but apparently it says that the Doyen 200 Million investment will be into Serie A.

Just read the original, and yes it talks about investing £200m in serie A. It's a bit vague and talks a bit about their past, then them moving into spain and eastern europe etc. £100m will finance player transfers, £40m for club necessities etc. etc. 

Certainly does not mention a club in the UK, or buying a club. 

I thought third party ownership of players was banned in the Premiership, poss all English leagues?

Me too.

• Like 1

NEXT!

I believe their CEO's quotes on Bloomberg over that to be fair, he stated himself that its the Premier League they want to work within.

Furry muff. 

Them being based in Malta and thus being a Ltd company doesn't mean they'll invest in the UK per se. If their CEO has said they will then fair enough, they coud just be speculating on player values though rather than buying a club.

• Like 2

Doyen Sports, an investment fund that finances player purchases for soccer clubs, wants to expand into England’s Premier League, the sport’s richest domestic competition, its top executive said.

Doyen is looking to invest 200 million euros ($273 million) after profiting from its first 100-million euro venture, according to Nelio Lucas, the 35-year-old Portuguese chief executive officer of the Malta-registered subsidiary of London-based Doyen Group. He declined to identify the central European businessmen who are backing the fund.

Doyen lends cash to clubs to sign players, and expects to be repaid in three years. The teams can keep the players and repay the debt, or sell the athletes, returning the loan money and a share of any profit from the transfer to Doyen. Lucas says the setup doesn’t breach a Premier League ban on funds owning stakes in the economic rights of athletes.

“We can operate with this model in the Premier League and we’re preparing a version of this model especially for the U.K.,” he said in an interview in Sao PauloBrazil, where the company has started signing up teams, including Pele’s former club Santos. “At the end of the day, there is also a big gap between the big clubs and the other clubs. I’m sure the Premier League sees us with good eyes.”

While Premier League officials wouldn’t comment on Doyen’s plans, they said rules ban so-called third-party ownership. Doyen says it loans money and isn’t involved in such ownership.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-15/english-top-soccer-league-riches-targeted-by-fund-amid-concerns.html

• Like 1

I don't know how I'd feel about this Doyen group, if the rumour turned out to be more than that. They seem to have plans in place and obviously some knowledge/contacts regarding promising players, however, would they buy a team to make them a success, or just to make a profit?

I guess their obvious goal would be to make a profit, but they partially own some top young talent that would improve us, Leandro Damiao and Luc Castagnios would be more than welcome to join Villa for example.

Remember this all stems from Tevfik Eren apparently wanting to buy a club in the Premier League, I'm just stringing together the pieces of info regarding him and the sports arm of the Doyen Group that he financially backs/owns.

The only profit possible is when they sell

I thought third party ownership of players was banned in the Premiership, poss all English leagues?

No-one's saying it isn't, or that that's what this group would intent to do

Indeed and there is evan talk that FIFA will soon ban third-party ownership everywhere which needless to say wouldn't be very good for the likes of the Doyen Group. So it is conceivable that they will venture into buying a club as the only way to effectively stay in business.

The problem that England has over other leagues is that due to work permit laws etc it is hard to attract an unproven with high potential player from anywhere outside of Europe. Therefore if these potential new owners wanted to bring in Brazilians etc it would be a hard struggle.

I guess their obvious goal would be to make a profit, but they partially own some top young talent that would improve us, Leandro Damiao and Luc Castagnios would be more than welcome to join Villa for example.

Remember this all stems from Tevfik Eren apparently wanting to buy a club in the Premier League, I'm just stringing together the pieces of info regarding him and the sports arm of the Doyen Group that he financially backs/owns.

Not necessarily.  There are two other profits streams available -

1)  The good one.  We win things, we earn prize money, we sell more merchandise.  Profit.

2)  The bad one.  They leverage their current business model by owning Villa as a separate organisation who then borrows money from the parent organisation in order to sign players who are represented by the parent organisation.  This means that THEY would make profit, but Villa would potentially be in a precarious position.

The problem that England has over other leagues is that due to work permit laws etc it is hard to attract an unproven with high potential player from anywhere outside of Europe. Therefore if these potential new owners wanted to bring in Brazilians etc it would be a hard struggle.

Good point actually. I guess they could always establish a link with a feeder club abroad as other clubs do.

Not necessarily.  There are two other profits streams available -

1)  The good one.  We win things, we earn prize money, we sell more merchandise.  Profit.

2)  The bad one.  They leverage their current business model by owning Villa as a separate organisation who then borrows money from the parent organisation in order to sign players who are represented by the parent organisation.  This means that THEY would make profit, but Villa would potentially be in a precarious position.

3) They spend just enough money each year to keep us in the lower half of the Premier League, making sure that their spend is always less than the £100mill or so revenue coming in, and then pay themselves dividends/management fees each year.

Villa become a non-entity just surviving, owners make a 'profit', Aston Villa show a break-even or small loss each year.

then one year they miscalculate, injuries or bad form hit us, and we get relegated. 

Edited by ender4