$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

The thing is, whilst I don't really rate Lambert tactically at all like most others. The budget that he has been given to build an entire squad is most certainly a championship level squad budget.

When you're being forced to sign a few players for £1m staying in the league under any measures necessary, although we may not want to think it, is a good achievement.

Who's been forced to do that?

The idea that he's got a Championship budget (when in reality it's more mid mid-table PL) makes no sense to me. If Lambert had to sign an entire squad, that's one thing. Yet despite our injuries, we still have Lambert signings who can't even make the 18! No Benteke, No Kozak, off form strikers and his man Helenius is nowhere to be seen. If he hadn't wasted so much money on the past 2 years on players that don't even play much anymore, then maybe he could've bought in another player with some decent quality.

The thing is, these players would have been expected to be good enough but some ended up falling short. When you have little money to spend this is the risk you take.

IMO whoever pushed through the idea of the bomb squad is should take the blame as this was the reason for spreading the budget across too many players.

Considering the wages the club have continued to pay I imagine we wouldn't be any worse financially if we had taken a more slow and steady approach to phasing out these players. We'd probably have sold them easier too had they continued to play.

I think it's pure fantasy that any member of the bomb squad would have improved us at all. We're are talking about Hutton, bent and Ireland. Come on!

I'm not saying that the bomb squad players would have improved us, but bringing in less but better quality players over the last 2 seasons would have us in better shape by now.

kurtsimonw, but he HAS had to buy an entirely new team! Who is there that we had before that has played all season? Delph Baker and Guzan. That's it really.

He hasn't though. How can you say he's had to buy this many players when even with injuries some of his signings can't make the bench? That shows he's spent too much on quantity and not quality. Guzan, Baker, Clark, Delph, Agbonlahor, Weimann have all played a good portion, Albrighton has played over 20 games too I believe. I don't think we'd miss Helenius or Tonev had we not signed them, even with all the injuries we had.

Our wage bill is around mid-table, as was the amount of money he was given this season. Going into the 37th week of the season and not being safe is a job failed.

I have no idea how i forgot Gabby and Weimann but I still stand by my point. 

But the sad thing is that going into the 37th week safe IS NOT job failed it is job DONE. That's the sad thing about it, there is no ambition apart from staying in the league. In theory Lambert would have succeeded even if we stayed up in the 95th minute on the 38th week. Whether we like it or not that's the reality.

I agree this is OT sorry.

It will be interesting to see the morning papers. You would imagine information will begin to leak out regarding Lerner's upcoming statement.

Yup - thats what I m waiting for - and the fact that it hasn't happened has may doubtful that the statement will amount to much..

Lerner is going to become a joint owner as he is selling some but not all his shares. (He could not get someone to cough up all the money he wanted but will not say that).

They new ownership team will appoint a DOF and they take a back seat.

Lambert stays and will be backed in the summer to improve the squad (no amount will be announced)..... the club will still show fiscal responsibility and abide by FFP.

Lerner will acknowledge the last few years have not been good but it was necessary to get our finances in order.... they are OK now so we begin a new phase.

The future is bright but not enough to make us all wear sun glasses.

ITK... nah...

Not ITK at all but that's about what I suspect is most likely.

It will be interesting to see the morning papers. You would imagine information will begin to leak out regarding Lerner's upcoming statement.

Yup - thats what I m waiting for - and the fact that it hasn't happened has may doubtful that the statement will amount to much..

A new era or a false dawn?

Shuffling desk chairs on the titanic - a change of manager - slight easing of budgets - villa old boys on the coaching staff - one or maybe all of those - dressed up as a new dawn...

Youre a bit more hopful gent ? - is this based on inside info - or just a hunch...

I can't see any scenario in which Lambert stays. If that was the plan then they'd have said that already and Lambert wouldn't keep saying he doesn't know.

Have you not considered that maybe even the top brass at Villa don't know themselves whether they will keep Lambert?

I can't see any scenario in which Lambert stays. If that was the plan then they'd have said that already and Lambert wouldn't keep saying he doesn't know.

Yep - and how often do managers come back from where Lambo is ? 

I like the bloke - but I think its in everyones interest for a parting of the waves...

I like the bloke - but I think its in everyones interest for a parting of the waves...

Come back from what exactly? It's not like he's universally unpopular with the fans.

Edited by Mantis

Have you not considered that maybe even the top brass at Villa don't know themselves whether they will keep Lambert?
If they don't know yet then I can't see them suddenly deciding he's the right man. Like I said there's nothing pointing to him staying. Edited by Big_John_10

Come back from what exactly? It's not like he's universally unpopular with the fans.

I think he is. Majority poll in a local paper, away fans turning last two away games and browse most villa forums and the majority want him gone. I think he's a very unpopular manager right now.

If they don't know yet then I can see them suddenly deciding he's the right man. Like I said there's nothing pointing to him staying.

Maybe they just want to consider all their options? Perhaps the takeover situation is still up in the air?

I think he is. Majority poll in a local paper, away fans turning last two away games and browse most villa forums and the majority want him gone. I think he's a very unpopular manager right now.

There's a difference between being unpopular and universally unpopular.

Edited by Mantis

Shuffling desk chairs on the titanic - a change of manager - slight easing of budgets - villa old boys on the coaching staff - one or maybe all of those - dressed up as a new dawn...

Youre a bit more hopful gent ? - is this based on inside info - or just a hunch...

I still believe Lerner will announce that he is selling the club to a particular buyer. Surely RL or PF would have denied the takeover rumours already if this was not the case? 

Randy and the boardroom 1hour before he makes his statement on Monday...

8arvzn5.jpg

For the record, I personally think Randy will come out and say that he is at an advanced negotiation stage with a potential buyer and more information will be made available in the coming weeks.

I still believe Lerner will announce that he is selling the club to a particular buyer. Surely RL or PF would have denied the takeover rumours already if this was not the case? 

You would have thought so - but RL isn't great with the media - it could be a major miscalculation on his part - this is after all the man who thought mcleish was the way forward.....

"Aren't you a little short for a takeover?"

"I'm Philip Anschutz, I'm here to rescue you!"

"Who?"

"Philip Anschutz, I've got your attacking midfielder and I'm here with additional investors!"