What do we WANT next season?

Mic09

After the interesting discussion has been started in the 'what do we need next season' topic, I think it would be interesting to know what we WANT next season. Now, let's be reasonable. It's not going to be top 6. What do you think a good progress would be? If we finish 12th this season, would you take an extra 3-6 points and 10th place next season as an improvement?

Looking at the table from the last 2 years it should be possible to try and get amongst the teams from 5 -  10th place, that in my opinion is the realistic next step and maybe a cup run.

Yup, with the same kind of investment + replacing tekkers if he goes we should really be looking at 50+ points next year. With another years development for the younger players, few prospects coming through too, we shoudl be in a good position in the summer. There'll be less overhauling of the squad, more stability, so hopefully that will result in being more consistently nearer our best than this season. 

To be able to take my girlfriend back to Villa Park and honestly say "don't worry, it'll be better than the last games you saw here". (her Villa Park, and English football, debut was the 0-2 defeat to Swansea. Since then she's watched us scrape past Ipswich in the FA Cup coming from behind to win, 1-2 loss to Newcastle this season, where Okore was ruled out for the season, and a nil nil where nothing happened). 

I want to be able to enjoy Saturday afternoon football, whether it's at VP watching a good game, or sat at home watching the scores come in. 

To not have to look at other results hoping the teams around us lose. To not have to horribly find myself wanting Liverpool to win, because they are playing Palace/Sunderland/Cardiff.

Challenging for European positions would be great.. but next season I'd really just like a season without fear of relegation. Cement ourselves back as a comfortable midtable club and push on from there, with a bit of excitement in the transfer window.

• Like 2

To be able to take my girlfriend back to Villa Park and honestly say "don't worry, it'll be better than the last games you saw here". (her Villa Park, and English football, debut was the 0-2 defeat to Swansea. Since then she's watched us scrape past Ipswich in the FA Cup coming from behind to win, 1-2 loss to Newcastle this season, where Okore was ruled out for the season, and a nil nil where nothing happened).

I want to be able to enjoy Saturday afternoon football, whether it's at VP watching a good game, or sat at home watching the scores come in.

To not have to look at other results hoping the teams around us lose. To not have to horribly find myself wanting Liverpool to win, because they are playing Palace/Sunderland/Cardiff.

Challenging for European positions would be great.. but next season I'd really just like a season without fear of relegation. Cement ourselves back as a comfortable midtable club and push on from there, with a bit of excitement in the transfer window.

Maybe I should take mine more often, she has a 100% success rate. ;)

Maybe I should take mine more often, she has a 100% success rate. ;)

Looking at the table from the last 2 years it should be possible to try and get amongst the teams from 5 -  10th place, that in my opinion is the realistic next step and maybe a cup run.

5th and 10th are two different worlds though. We can finish 10th, even this year, but we can't finish 5th next year. The chance of that happening is 0%. 8th is the absolute highest we can dream of next season, and that's probably if we buy a whole set of new players and get a new manager in. Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd, Everton and Tottenham compete for the first seven places, so I don't really understand how you come up with 5th. Do you actually see us finishing ahead of teams like Tottenham and Everton? If so, I would really like to hear the explanation.

3-4 high quality signings (8 million + each). Better home form, to be certain we won't be going down after 10 games and a cup run.

The high-quality part is key. We enquired about Kiyotake, apparently, in the summer. Mat Kendrick reckons we were after a £8-10 million player in January. The summer will prove if this was all PR. Big summer for Lerner. 

A team whose first and only tactic isn't to lump it upfield. A team that can string a succession of passes together in the attacking third of the field. A team that will have a go at the opposition and take the game to them. At least 9 home victories.

Edited by mikeyp102

To be free of a relegation scrap for the 1st time since MON left and to not be bored shitless watching awful football 95% of the time. The sale of KEA, Westwood and Sylla to be replaced with midfielders that can actually play football

Â