Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

Kwan

We could have been 4-0 down, but somehow we kept a clean sheet ..

I was thinking 3 points here, now I'll be happy for a draw.

We've been totally outclassed by the other Claret and Blue team :(

We really haven't. They're obviously up for the match because Sam's given them a shouting at.

Both teams are using lots of energy and are making it very tight.

The quality will shine through in the 2nd half.

Such humour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhrr, this is pretty poor stuff. Playing a high defensive line, with Lowton all over the place. Yet somehow the midfield is not linking with either defence or attack. We are desperate for a winger, or someone to find space in front of the centerbacks. The players are clueless for ideas because all they ever do is look for the first movement.

At this point the game is reduced to 50/50s and a goal will come to whoever catches a lucky break. It should not be like this at Villa Park against one of the worst sides to visit this season. Scenarios like this really test my faith in Lambert as he seems to not know how to play any other way than on the counter.

West Ham are looking the more likely winners. I hope there's a change of system in the 2nd half.

Think we will lose this, probably 1-0 with a goal from Cole.

This is exactly how I see it. Hammers are doing a "Villa" on us and hitting us on the counter attack. We lack any inventiveness going forward and on the few occasions we had the ball on the deck we could only pass it sideways. This is perfectly set up for Hammers nicking it. Collins is simply bossing Benteke, Jarvis and Downing are causing lots of problems down our flanks and overall they just seem to "want it" more than us.

Much better needed for second half - but i'm struggling think where/how we can improve. This, I fear will also be the case when Stoke, Norwich and Hull come to VP. We're too easy to play against when we're at home. Lambert needs to think around this.

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 1

The problem is we have a poor midfield with no recognised DM and no recognised ACM either. We have a utility player (a decent one), an inconsistent box-to-box midfielder and a prospect that should be playing in the Championship.

We are also playing 3 strikers in an odd 4-3-3 where 2 of them are required to act as wingers. Our central midfield 3 would be ok if we had 2 actual wingers supporting Benteke.

Seems like Lambert shoehorns in the best players to his desired formation, even though the qualities of these players does not suit the positions they are having to play in.

I have seen no sign of improvement since Lambert took over and losing this game would typify his spell in charge so far.

• Like 1

Tough one, Weimann been playing alright so if we were to bring Albrighton on not sure who would go off

Bacuna or take Lowton off and switch Bacuna to RB

We need Lowton on the pitch to switch to CD when Baker picks up his inevitable knock