How much did you enjoy your childhood?

Voinjama

Love it how we all grew up poor :)

Wasn't anyone even remotely middle class ?

Not me. High rise council estate, dad was a factory worker, mom was a shop assistant (among other low paid jobs). They never owned a car, had a bank account or took an overseas holiday. 

But before I get too "four Yorkshiremen sketch", my childhood was great. Apart from the fact that my parents argued incessantly (which really pissed me off), I was as happy as Larry - had loads of mates, enjoyed primary school, mostly enjoyed Grammar School (sixth form especially). 

I look back on it with great fondness - but then again I'm quite happy as I am now, too. 

I guess it was as much as anything me thinking out loud that did we suddenly have this "boom" moment when everything took off  (no politics please )

My dad worked my mum didn't  ... we were a one car family , an old Hillman Avenger  and i think around 79 my mum got an Austin A40 that was so old the windows had to be propped up with wedges otherwise they stayed fully open  , and one door of the car didn't open at all

like others , we'd finish school , get changed and then rush out with all the other kids in the street to play football (always some old codger would call the police because our football dared hit their garage or kill a daffodil) , 40 /40  or knock down ginger   .. that was 6 days a week pretty much , Sunday night being an early night due to it being Bath night  ....

and then suddenly as i touched on in my first post  ..  along came microwaves , VCR's , holidays  , Binatone consoles with awesome graphic stick tennis   B)   .. not just us but the whole street   ....  i wouldn't say overnight  , but it kinda felt that way

did a whole generation go from poor to working class overnight  ... was it technology advances that caused the boom   ??

Everyone thinks their era was the best time to grow up.

yes and no ... my recollection of the 70's is that it was shit  ..but the 80's ( I turned 10 in 1980) were great

80's Britain looks like the most horrible depressing place in the world whilst 80's America always looks the opposite.

• Like 2

Everyone thinks their era was the best time to grow up.

yes and no ... my recollection of the 70's is that it was shit  ..but the 80's ( I turned 10 in 1980) were great

80's Britain looks like the most horrible depressing place in the world whilst 80's America always looks the opposite.

i suspect it depends where you went in either country  ...

tbh , that still rings true now  ... there are parts of America even in the 2010's  that look like 3rd world countires and I'm surprised some Ethiopian Rock Star isn't organising an aid  concert for them

My wife blames my parents for me being pretty mental now, not in a sleep with one eye open way, but how I dwell on things and over react. I have to agree. My parents were shit, my brother was an evil bastard and the sooner i could get out of the family home i did. I truly hated every minute of my childhood from zero to 14 when i moved out. To the point i cant talk about it without upset or resentment. A good example, bear in mind my dad was pretty well off, my wife said what was the best present you had as a kid, I told her i had a pen once.

Love it how we all grew up poor :)

Wasn't anyone even remotely middle class ?

Apart from the fact that my parents argued incessantly (which really pissed me off), 

You'll have to forgive me for asking but I can't resist.

How do you think that affected your personality?

My guess would be that you would have grown up to hate contention and are a natural peace-maker. B)

My most harrowing childhood memory?

When I was 4 I jumped off a climbing frame at nursery. Unfortunately, I was trying to jump as far as I could (onto a crash mat)

This resulted in two things:

1. My tongue sticking out due to intense concentration.

2. A very uncontrolled flight and landing.

The ultimate result was that as I landed, my knee hit my chin, still with my tongue outstretched in concentration and I bit clean through it. 

Luckily, I managed to isolate the part that I bit through to a very large hole, as opposed to just biting the whole thing off, but it was a very close run thing.

Needless to say I cried, a lot. And there was blood, a lot. It was a little traumatising.

But as I said, not half as traumatising as it would have been had my tongue flopped out onto the floor completely detached from my body.

• Like 1

+The miniature railway outside the back of the Viables centre.  Loved it.  Still here to this day, when I saw it after moving back here years later, the flood of memories nearly triggered a mental break.

Public_Rides_imag1.JPG

Choo-choo mother ****!

I see yourchildhood  Basingstoke miniature railway and raise you my childhood  Chertsey miniature railway

• Like 1

My most harrowing childhood memory?

When I was 4 I jumped off a climbing frame at nursery. Unfortunately, I was trying to jump as far as I could (onto a crash mat)

This resulted in two things:

1. My tongue sticking out due to intense concentration.

2. A very uncontrolled flight and landing.

The ultimate result was that as I landed, my knee hit my chin, still with my tongue outstretched in concentration and I bit clean through it. 

Luckily, I managed to isolate the part that I bit through to a very large hole, as opposed to just biting the whole thing off, but it was a very close run thing.

Needless to say I cried, a lot. And there was blood, a lot. It was a little traumatising.

But as I said, not half as traumatising as it would have been had my tongue flopped out onto the floor completely detached from my body.

I did something similar, when I jumped off a coal shed, caught my neck on a clothes-line, did a full triple Salchow and twist before landing on my head.

My childhood consisted of a long series of lessons in how excitement and over-exuberance always lead to a trip to the hospital.

I have more scars than Jack Reacher but fewer excuses. 

Edited by MakemineVanilla

One of the most tragic moments of my childhood was being too tall for Wacky Warehouse at seven years old; A time that should have been my prime years in the ball-pool cut short by something out of my control.

I remember going to a mate's birthday party and having to sit with the Moms whilst all the other children had the time of their lives in that mesh-netted paradise. :(....I was eight at this time but still hadn't full accepted it.

Â