How much did you enjoy your childhood?

Voinjama

Becoming an uncle today has made me look at my own life and my own childhood (0-18) etc. I thought I would start a topic about this. How was your childhood? How were your school days? What good things happened and what bad things happened?

Will contribute myself later.

on the basis that I never met Jimmy Saville , Rolf Harris , and any Radio 1 DJ's  it sounds like I had a lucky childhood if not a great one :)

TBF mine was juts your typical childhood I guess  ... We lived in Sittingbourne and moved to Surrey in 76  ( i was 6) ... don't know how my life would have panned out had we not moved , i guess I would have married my cousin and burnt immigrants at the stake like everyone else in Kent .

my recollection of the 70's was regular power cuts ,big hair , crap tank tops ,paisley shirts with big collars , Black Jacks& Fruit Salads (4 for 1p ?)  ,  wearing my brothers hand downs and having our first holiday abroad to Benidorm in 78 

the 80's was when life seemed to get better .. along came VCR's (is there anyone who is an 80's child who didn't see a very fuzzy pirate copy of E.T on VHS  !!)  , Microwaves , better cars , better holidays  etc .. there was off course the big scare that you'd never get a job when you left school with 3m un-employed  but i went to College and discovered the BBC A computer and having mastered

10 PRINT “HELLO ”;

20 goto 10

a career in IT beckoned and I never looked back

In next weeks riveting instalment Tonyh29 looks back fondly at the 90's

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 3

had a decent upbringing if im honest, largely down to my grandparents. me and my mum are more like brother and sister where we used to argue and fall out a lot, and we was not very loving with each other and still aint. my dad never stuck around and that always bothered me but i got over it, i enjoyed my childhood for most part although i remember thinking i always wanted a brother or sister. my granddad loves music and sport so we used to have our time together watching football, rugby, cricket, wrestling and American football etc. sunday morning was his music day where we would listen to lps from alice cooper, guns n roses and other rock greats. my gran was the greatest person alive to me and idolised me and was a amazing person, got into my mid teens and discovered alcohol and women, i was the last one out my crowd to start drinking and lose my virginity but once i started i soon surpassed them on all fronts. ended up in a YOI institute when i was 18 which was down to me drinking and not being able to control myself, but kind of learnt my lesson from that as ive never returned. so yea had a few ups and downs but overall i consider myself lucky. but as i said a huge part of that was down to my grandparents

Couldn't have asked for nicer parents and think they gave me a great up bringing. They didn't have a lot of money so we didn't really go on holidays or anything, but they always got me what I nagged them for on my birthday or at Christmas.

I loved Primary school but hated high school. I wasn't one of the smart kids, but I wasn't ever naughty either. I wasn't popular, but not really picked on, so I just kind of floated through, unnoticed, uninterested and bored.

Loved my later teenage years though. Playing in bands, discovering alcohol, etc.

Can't really moan at all really, I think I had a much better childhood than most kids in the world.

• Like 3

The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin?

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery.

My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet.

My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles.

There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it. 

I want some of what you have had

• Like 1

Super Nintendo

Wrestling's attitude era

Great television

Labour winning by a landslide

Ajax team of the early to mid 90s

Villa winning games

What more could you want?

Lego?

I mean, I admit I haven't really chatted to you on this site before and don't know you that well but I thought the little plastic coloured bricks were kind of a big deal to you buddy?

Super Nintendo

Wrestling's attitude era

Great television

Villa winning games

Lego?

I mean, I admit I haven't really chatted to you on this site before and don't know you that well but I thought the little plastic coloured bricks were kind of a big deal to you buddy?

Not as much as a Mustang...

• Like 1

Super Nintendo

Wrestling's attitude era

Great television

Villa winning games

Lego?

Yawn. Let's hear about how you were born in Canada for the umpteenth time.

• Like 3

Super Nintendo

Wrestling's attitude era

Great television

Villa winning games

Lego?

Yawn. Let's hear about how you were born in Canada for the umpteenth time.

Did I tell you I was born in Canada, inside a maple syrup factory...

1982_blade_runner_the_final_cut_001.jpg

now you mention it, my memory of childhood is slightly vague......

Nah, mine was fine, one of those cliches really, we were proper piss poor but it was fine, because so was everyone else around us. What can I say, my bedroom overlooked the beach, behind us was the steam train graveyard. In the winter we could climb into the fairground and explore the inner working of the big dipper.

It was a docker community, some people were quite hard, some people drank quite a lot.

School was bad.

At 14, my old man made me get a weekend job to earn my own money. I wasn't very keen on the idea. At the end of the first weekend I got paid cash out of the cash box. I got home, my old man announced I'd earned it so it was mine to do whatever with. There'd be no expectation of 'housekeeping' but equally from then on there would be no pocket money. It was a revelation, my own money!

I became aware of my existence in 1990 and I lived in Witney. Moved to Germany in 1991 and had fond memories of my 3 and a bit years there. Germany is a great country. Moved back to England in 1994 and spent 5 years at Halton Primary School and apart from 1 year where i had really bad eczema they were good times. Never really had any issues with other pupils but constantly had run ins with the teachers. Life was great but then I went from loving school to hating school when I went to a Grammar School from year 8 to year 11. I had friends there but I never really settled in very well and got picked on for being dumb amongst other things. It was a grammar school so everyone there was super intelligent. Really detested my time there and so I left when I was 16 to a school where I was happier. College days were OK, nothing special. Went to university in London for 4 years and the last 2 years were good, the 1st year was ok ish but I lacked the knowledge and 2nd year was really bad because I lost lots of weight. Since I finished uni I have worked in Germany for a few months and had many different jobs in the UK.

I am lucky in the sense that I have always had really good relations with all of my family. Most people I know cant' say that. I come from a comfortable background, not rich, but not poor. Looking back on my school life, I would say school was alright over all, only 3 out of the 13 years I got picked on. But from the end of 2009, early 2010 my life has blossomed and everything has been blessed.

Â