How much did you enjoy your childhood?

Voinjama

I can offer you a lean-to in the shadows of the Malverns?

Edit: But I was also being honest about classes. ;)

Bit to far North for my liking :)

Victorian nobs from your neck of the woods found the destination quite acceptable. :)

I use the M4 as my guide on the north / south debate. I'm always surprised the people of Malvern aren't wandering the streets stripped to the waist drinking beer and smoking tabs.

Less than 0.7 degrees, I think.

Who'd have put you down as someone so narrow-minded? :P

Edited: Inappropriate smiley.

Edited by snowychap

Less than 0.7 degrees, I think.

Who'd have put you down as someone so narrow-minded? ;)

Like I said too far North :)

Rubbish. Not the fault of the folks. Rural and very middle england middle class i guess in worcestershire, private education. not that I was in conttol of that or anything. no idea if it would have been different elsewhere. Generally I peaked at primary school as I had 17 girlfriends on the go, working under the 6 year old definition that anyone of the girls I spoke to was necessarily a committed prospective partner for when I got adult. Middle school was subsequently a great disappointment. Sixth form was largely shit too. Part other kids are words removed, part shyness and chronic insecurity. Life began at about 24-5 for me when I got over it at last thanks to the maelstrom of university. **** youth. Long live adulthood.

Loved mine.

Loved school, loved being a kid but also loved growing up.

Can't help feeling I wasted it in certain ways though. I always long to go back, which is a shit way to live life, imo.

A few years ago when visiting a friend who was spending some time in a home for neurotics, I noticed a slogan on the wall which amused me at the time and which amuses me when ever I think about it.

It read: It's Never Too Late To Have a Happy Childhood!

It kind of said what we kind of know already, that we were too busy living our childhood to have any coherent memory of it, and so our so-called memories are almost certainly constructs we've created as adults.

The question is whether adults who claim to have had happy childhoods are just better at reinventing the past than those who claim to have been unhappy?

Freudians tend to think that the only measure of how happy our childhoods were is how neurotic we are now.

• Like 1

Up until the age of 12/13 I used to love life, loved playing football, loved hanging out with friends, getting round a mates house to play 4 player Goldeneye and all that kind of stuff, life was quite fantastic actually.

At the age of 12/13 everything turned to shit, started getting bullied in school, teenage angst kicked in, at 14 one of my best mates was killed, which led to lots of pot, speed and ecstasy, which led to me actually dropping out of school before taking my GCSEs and suffering with depression, consequently struggled after school for a while. Hated that part of my life.

Bit of a mixed bag for me really! 

Edited by PieFacE

Love it how we all grew up poor :)

Wasn't anyone even remotely middle class ?

Not me. High rise council estate, dad was a factory worker, mom was a shop assistant (among other low paid jobs). They never owned a car, had a bank account or took an overseas holiday. 

But before I get too "four Yorkshiremen sketch", my childhood was great. Apart from the fact that my parents argued incessantly (which really pissed me off), I was as happy as Larry - had loads of mates, enjoyed primary school, mostly enjoyed Grammar School (sixth form especially). 

I look back on it with great fondness - but then again I'm quite happy as I am now, too. 

Similar to me Pieface.

Shit ain't it. 

Think the worst thing for me is that I just got no help from anyone, and still haven't really and a lot of issues I still have today lead back to my teenage years, as I've never really known how to deal with it.

I actually remember a day or two after my mate died, I was naturally struggling to keep my shit together as I was sent straight back to school, and a teacher actually told me to stop pretending to be down to get time off school. Think that's the closest I will ever come to hitting a woman.

Edited by PieFacE

It was the 90's so yeah it was good.

Best time to grow up by a country mile.

*cough* 60s *cough*

The 60's seemed like a great time to be an older teenager/young adult in. For a child I can't imagine a time better than the 90's. A great mix of developing technology but it not being all consuming and there was still a desire to play outside and do kid things. Children's TV was unbeatable and quite violent to boot. It saw the rise of computer games and Premier League football was brilliant even if now it is clear that it was the beginnings of something terrible.

Â