Our best midfield player ever

PaulC

Cowans for me as well but I remember a certain Mark Draper's performance against Man U. Fergie after the game implied that Draper had taken his team apart.

Draper was class but unfortunately injuries took their toll.

Nobby Solano for me. Class.

He had a great season here but best ever? Nah.
I'm not sure what we're judging it by. Cowans in terms of long term servant yes. My view on Nobby was individual talent and skill / technical ability.

In terms of being a winner and a leader, Kevin Richardson would get my vote. Great captain he was.

Possibly one of the funniest posts I've ever read......hilarious

Bruce Rioch for me. Our best midfield in my time would be something like Bruce alongside Sir Morty, Platty and Gordon Cowans but I guess Johnny Dixon and Danny Blanchflower would be among those who would be well worth a shout from the past.

• Like 1

Bruce Rioch for me. Our best midfield in my time would be something like Bruce alongside Sir Morty, Platty and Gordon Cowans but I guess Johnny Dixon and Danny Blanchflower would be among those who would be well worth a shout from the past.

I included Rioch. Blanchflower is an interesting selection. Guess his best days were at spurs and their famous push and run side of the 60s under Nicholson. Great names from the past!

• Like 1

Platt by some distance for me.  I absolutely idolised him and loved the way he used to go round the keeper.  His goal against Arsenal in the 89/90 season was immense. We had just battered Man United 3-0 on boxing day in front of 45,000 and then we had Arsenal a few days later, again at Villa Park, and Platt volleyed the ball in from the edge of the box with incredible technique. We won that game 2-1 (Think Mountfield got the other?) and it really looked like we were gonna win the league until we got stuffed at home by Wimbledon (actually after Platt missed a penalty.......)

Then there is of course THAT goal for England against Belgium. I can remember being a 10 year old jumping around my living room when Platty scored that. 

Yes, definitely Platt for me, absolutely fantastic player, as his transfer record proves. Think he was even the most expensive player in the World at one point with all his transfer fees combined.

(Shame he became a right c*** afterwards)

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 2

in my lifetime it has to be Barry, Cowans was coming to the end when I started watching Villa :(

always had a soft spot for Houghton but think thats mainly to do with his Ireland exploits

Salifou

Osbourne was a different level than Salifou ;)

So many to chose from,  Gordon Cowans,  Gareth Barry,  Dennis Mortimer,  David Platt.

Sid by a whisker over Platt then Dennis then Gareth.

Surprised no one has mentioned Steve Hodge though

Then there is of course THAT goal for England against Belgium. I can remember being a 10 year old jumping around my living room when Platty scored that. 

Being around the same age at the time, I think up to that point, THAT goal was the greatest moment of my life. Shame he's turned into such a massive knob, and forgotten his roots since then.

Edited by dAVe80

Sid Cowans for me. I have never seen another Villa player pass the ball, over such varying distances, with such precision as this man. I consider myself very lucky to have seen him play.

Sid for me too, cracking player.

So many to chose from,  Gordon Cowans,  Gareth Barry,  Dennis Mortimer,  David Platt.

Sid by a whisker over Platt then Dennis then Gareth.

Surprised no one has mentioned Steve Hodge though

Do i detect a hint of sarcasm there! Mention Hodge then we should mention Steve Mcmahon too  :)

tony morley

sid cowans

dennis mortimer

paul merson

.. in no particular order or position. no platt because he really dislikes us for some reason, barry would have been a big legend but the way and the fact that he left soured it all for me. milner was good enough but again. soured. ian taylor would have been in just for being ian taylor but these imo are the 4 best midfielders in terms of ability.

Â