Lambert......the plan.....the future

Hairyhands

See on the subject of westwoods corner, it is benteke who specifically asks for such a delivery as he prefers attacking that type of corner. I'm not saying it's right, it doesn't work often enough but if your biggest threat in the air asks for that then that's why it happens.

I said this, as I noticed when CB wasn't playing we were attempting to whip them in. But in the game it needs variation.

To be honest I never noticed this. IMO it was the same floaters from Westwood and you will see in the Westwood thread most people thought the same.

Well against Palace, Westwood wasn't playing.So it was left to Albrighton and he was definitely not floating them, he was whipping them in.

I don't think they need to take a pay cut, it suggests that if they're playing well enough to earn it then we'll pay it. Players like Collins and dunne etc where sucking the club dry. If gabby and delph perform then they'll get paid the same.

This...

We now know that there isn't a wage cap... we just won't pay stoopid wages. Circa 50k is not stupid if you are playing week in and week out and your team have ambition enough to stay in the division.

See on the subject of westwoods corner, it is benteke who specifically asks for such a delivery as he prefers attacking that type of corner. I'm not saying it's right, it doesn't work often enough but if your biggest threat in the air asks for that then that's why it happens.
I said this, as I noticed when CB wasn't playing we were attempting to whip them in. But in the game it needs variation.
To be honest I never noticed this. IMO it was the same floaters from Westwood and you will see in the Westwood thread most people thought the same.
Well against Palace, Westwood wasn't playing.So it was left to Albrighton and he was definitely not floating them, he was whipping them in.
When Westwood played it was always floaters. Reason how I know is because I nearly have a heart attack every time. Namely the 7 or 8 corners we had against Stoke. Don't think it was as bad against Swansea as we only had 2 or 3. So why he still do it when CB is not playing? Edited by HeyAnty

I don't think they need to take a pay cut, it suggests that if they're playing well enough to earn it then we'll pay it. Players like Collins and dunne etc where sucking the club dry. If gabby and delph perform then they'll get paid the same.

And how happy do you think Benteke will be if Gabby gets a renewed contract much bigger than his?

Or if Delph gets a renewed contract earning 2 or 3 times what the other midfilders are earning how long will it be before the other midfielders are on the phone to their agents looking for the exit?

You can only keep players happy if they feel the situation is fair for everyone.

And how happy do you think Benteke will be if Gabby gets a renewed contract much bigger than his?

Or if Delph gets a renewed contract earning 2 or 3 times what the other midfilders are earning how long will it be before the other midfielders are on the phone to their agents looking for the exit?

You can only keep players happy if they feel the situation is fair for everyone.

Its been stated that there is no wage cap so if they play well enough to deserve it then they'll get it. Like Suarez at Liverpool, he's by far their highest earner but do you think other players are complaining?

• Like 1

Agreed, i saw absolutely no change in our woeful set piece routines whilst Benteke was out the side

Its been stated that there is no wage cap so if they play well enough to deserve it then they'll get it. Like Suarez at Liverpool, he's by far their highest earner but do you think other players are complaining?

He is also their best player, of course they will not mind him being top earner.

Gabby is not as good as Benteke. How will Benteke feal being told there is only enough money at the club to offer him a 45k pw deal and then Gabby signs a 60k deal in the summer? He will be on the phone to his agent right away.

The same with the midfielders. Delph has been one of our better performers but he has not been 3 times better than Westwood. Westwood will want similar pay to Delph for performing to a similar standard in a similar position.

Those high contracts are left over from the free spending days and will have to be brought into line with current club policy when they run out.

Lambert is looking for 1 or 2 experienced players, which I wouldn't mind. "If we can get one or two experienced players in to give us a hand then we will try to do that." -PL after the Sunderland game (BBC Sports).

I've backed Lambert heartily from the start; probably through blind faith more that too much else.

But I really got into the game yesterday and found myself getting angrier and angrier than we can't play football.

There was a time in the second half before Albrighton's skier, about 80 mins or something where we were attempting to lay it round to each other in their half under no pressure whatsoever. We were making it tricky for ourselves by not moving well enough and most of the touches had the ball bouncing up off the floor, then Delph and Weimann (I think) exchanged passes and the ball ended up 6 ft in the air after Delph cocked up and Sunderland broke away and won a corner.

They had gone. They were barely even closing us down and we couldn't keep the ball. It's been like this for a while, but yesterday really got to me.

I can't stand it. Sort it out Lambo.

And if I'm making wishes for 2014, please stop doing floated heading-practice-for-centre-halves corners, they are toss. Cheers.

It's unbeleiveable really, but typical that you blame Lambert for this!! You are talking about basic skills that must be practiced every single day in training - if they haven't got those skills by now it's highly unlikely that a few extra hours on the training pitch are going to sort that out.

I can understand why some posters might criticise tactics, or team selection, or what players have been bought (although largely if not entirely I feel that this is done by posters from a posiiton of absolute ignorance) but to critise Lambert for a lack of basic skills (in players he didn't even purchase) is a step to far

If Lambert chooses not to renue Delph's contract (presuming he doesn't suddenly start playing like Djemba-Djemba for the rest of the year), then I think I might cry. :-(

Again the first point of attack is Lambert............the first decision will be the clubs as to whether we can afford to pay what will be required to keep him

I've backed Lambert heartily from the start; probably through blind faith more that too much else.

But I really got into the game yesterday and found myself getting angrier and angrier than we can't play football.

There was a time in the second half before Albrighton's skier, about 80 mins or something where we were attempting to lay it round to each other in their half under no pressure whatsoever. We were making it tricky for ourselves by not moving well enough and most of the touches had the ball bouncing up off the floor, then Delph and Weimann (I think) exchanged passes and the ball ended up 6 ft in the air after Delph cocked up and Sunderland broke away and won a corner.

They had gone. They were barely even closing us down and we couldn't keep the ball. It's been like this for a while, but yesterday really got to me.

And if I'm making wishes for 2014, please stop doing floated heading-practice-for-centre-halves corners, they are toss. Cheers.

It's unbeleiveable really, but typical that you blame Lambert for this!! You are talking about basic skills that must be practiced every single day in training - if they haven't got those skills by now it's highly unlikely that a few extra hours on the training pitch are going to sort that out.

I can understand why some posters might criticise tactics, or team selection, or what players have been bought (although largely if not entirely I feel that this is done by posters from a posiiton of absolute ignorance) but to critise Lambert for a lack of basic skills (in players he didn't even purchase) is a step to far

So if these same players start passing the ball well I take it you won't give the manager any credit?

• Like 2

He is also their best player, of course they will not mind him being top earner.

Gabby is not as good as Benteke. How will Benteke feal being told there is only enough money at the club to offer him a 45k pw deal and then Gabby signs a 60k deal in the summer? He will be on the phone to his agent right away.

The same with the midfielders. Delph has been one of our better performers but he has not been 3 times better than Westwood. Westwood will want similar pay to Delph for performing to a similar standard in a similar position.

Those high contracts are left over from the free spending days and will have to be brought into line with current club policy when they run out.

I wouldn't worry too much....I doubt Benteke will be with us after the summer

Not at all. Once again there is no wage cap, there's a structure in place for last season and this season. Not once has it been stated that those left from the Mon days will need to reduce their wages, especially when in the prime of their career. They can't expect an increase but certainly not a decrease, if performing and deserving of course. To suggest benteke deserves the same contract as gabby after one good season is ludicrous.

So if these same players start passing the ball well I take it you won't give the manager any credit?

I'm not criticising either players ability to pass the ball, the original poster did that. I also don't think that we are that bad at passing the ball but at the moment we are set up to get the ball forward very quickly. 

My point is that if someone thinks Delph and Weimann lack the neccesary skills to pass the ball, I would lay that issue at the players door not at Lamberts

It just annoys me that everything is Lambert's fault.......I again saw a post on a different thread criticising Lambert (again) for not buying Sissoko for only £2.5m (and £65k a week) etc. There is plenty that people can choose if they wish to criticise but at least make it something that Lambert can reasonable do something about

If Delph didnt sign a new contract the first thoughts of many would be "no salary cap" and PF's helpful "Lambert can spend the budget as he sees fit" when in reality we are making do and mending at the moment

Sadly I think that our future is currently blighted by the actions of an unwilling owner. RL is an intensively private man who has proven himself unsuitable to the robustly speculative venture that is Premiership football.

AVFC must have confident investment over the next three transfer windows at least. Any plan which is led by short sighted and swingeing cost cutting is doomed to ultimate failure, the penalty for which is lower league obscurity.

I've been there before with Villa, but obviously not at a time when the "megabucks Premiership" is becoming the private domain of the truly wealthy.

Failure to make desperately needed signings because of the rigid and ridiculously low current wage policy would be tantamount to dereliction of duty by RL, as (in his own words) the current Custodian of Aston Villa.

• Like 2

I think the way we pass the ball or lack of it at times is something the manager should take responsibility for. If we were passing it like Barcelona he'd be rightly praised.

The lack of movement, awareness and poor first touch of our players at times is something the manager should and I'm sure will address.

• Like 3

Not at all. Once again there is no wage cap, there's a structure in place for last season and this season. Not once has it been stated that those left from the Mon days will need to reduce their wages, especially when in the prime of their career. They can't expect an increase but certainly not a decrease, if performing and deserving of course. To suggest benteke deserves the same contract as gabby after one good season is ludicrous.

Ludicrous??????  I love Gabby, he Claret & Blue through and through but I would guess that if you told 19 other PL clubs that they could have either CB or Gabby on a free, 19 out of 19 would be willing to offer Benteke a better contract