The R word

villanwesty88

Norwich won't catch us. They might get one result. They won't get two and take four points. I also don't see Cardiff winning two of their last 3 so I don't see them catching us. Sunderland and Fulham are the worry for me. I think Fulham could win two of their last 3 and I think Sunderland could take 7 points from their last 4.

We are though in terms of chances of being relegated in a very strong position. 35 could well keep us up but that would mean 4 defeats on the spin and likely take away our goal difference advantage.  A point and the goal difference not taking a battering would most likely be enough. Anymore than a point and we will definitely be safe for me.

What I dread is going into the last game still in with a shout of going down. I don't think my 40 year old ticker could take it.

Cardiff have, Sunderland, Newcastle (taken holliday),and Chelsea left. I don't say they will, but it's not unlikely they will get about 4 points from those.

4 points won't be enough for Cardiff to overtake us, their GD is about 20 goals worse than us I think.

Norwich won't catch us. They might get one result. They won't get two and take four points. I also don't see Cardiff winning two of their last 3 so I don't see them catching us. Sunderland and Fulham are the worry for me. I think Fulham could win two of their last 3 and I think Sunderland could take 7 points from their last 4.

We are though in terms of chances of being relegated in a very strong position. 35 could well keep us up but that would mean 4 defeats on the spin and likely take away our goal difference advantage. A point and the goal difference not taking a battering would most likely be enough. Anymore than a point and we will definitely be safe for me.

What I dread is going into the last game still in with a shout of going down. I don't think my 40 year old ticker could take it.

Cardiff have, Sunderland, Newcastle (taken holliday),and Chelsea left. I don't say they will, but it's not unlikely they will get about 4 points from those.

4 points won't be enough for Cardiff to overtake us, their GD is about 20 goals worse than us I think.

Plus we're 5 points ahead of them ;)

Next weekends fixtures

Swansea v villa

Fulham v hull

west brom v west ham

man Utd v norwich

Sunderland v cardiff

ideal results would be draws in fulham and Sunderland games and defeats for Norwich and west brom and avoid defeat for us, should see us safe with a 5 point cushion and just 2 games left for the teams below

worst case scenario is Fulham, west brom and Cardiff win and Norwich get something off Utd, if this happens and villa lose, Wba go above us to 36 pts, Cardiff and Fulham will be on 33 and Norwich if they get a point on 33, leaving us just 2 points and 2 places off the drop

what a mess we've got ourselves into. Again.

• Like 2

While it's true that the teams below us can get unexpected results (like Sunderland yesterday) they can also have that go against them. A battling Wigan last year got beaten at home by a Swansea team that had absolutely nothing to play for, for example.

We are though in terms of chances of being relegated in a very strong position. 35 could well keep us up but that would mean 4 defeats on the spin and likely take away our goal difference advantage. A point and the goal difference not taking a battering would most likely be enough. Anymore than a point and we will definitely be safe for me.

Yeh, but im talking about their survival chances. I know it sounds ridicilous, but this year, 34 points might be enough!

Yeh, but im talking about their survival chances. I know it sounds ridicilous, but this year, 34 points might be enough!

That's be great, because we're on 35!

Next weekends fixtures

Swansea v villa

Fulham v hull

west brom v west ham

man Utd v norwich

Sunderland v cardiff

ideal results would be draws in fulham and Sunderland games and defeats for Norwich and west brom and avoid defeat for us, should see us safe with a 5 point cushion and just 2 games left for the teams below

worst case scenario is Fulham, west brom and Cardiff win and Norwich get something off Utd, if this happens and villa lose, Wba go above us to 36 pts, Cardiff and Fulham will be on 33 and Norwich if they get a point on 33, leaving us just 2 points and 2 places off the drop

I'm pretty sure that we won't see that much going against us and I do believe that we should manage to stay up this year. However, what really bugs me is that we have to endure the same heart-pounding end to a season that has become the norm the past 4 years. I sincerely hope that there is improvement next year, because I find it hard-pressed to argue we have improved much this year (regardless of our injury list).

That's be great, because we're on 35!

Yep, I wouldn't be surprised if the bottom three will be Fulham, Sunderland and Norwich

What it does seem to mean is, almost regardless of other results, we won't KNOW we're safe until last game ofthe season so it could be a horrible last day...

I reckon we could be in the same situation we were 2 years ago - 3 points clear and not mathematically safe but with a big enough margin in the goal difference to not have to worry.

• Like 2

Next weekends fixtures

Swansea v villa

Fulham v hull

west brom v west ham

man Utd v norwich

Sunderland v cardiff

Thanks for the tip: A tenner on this will get me a grand back with Paddy Power!

5 points Clear (effectively 6 with GD) with 3 games to go.

Looking at the stats Hull @ home looks like a draw....

In each of our next two games draws would suit both teams, and may well happen.

So another horrible end to the season and we absolutely deserve to be down there. Our injuries have been awful but we really have played some shocking stuff, especially against teams around us and the bottom line is it just isn't good enough. 

People can argue whom to blame (Lambert/Lerner) but without a change (preferably a cash injection) I really can't see how we will stay up next season.

Again, we are more confident of other teams not picking up the points they need rather than us doing it ourselves. The whole idea that there are always 3 teams worse than us is pretty depressing, as we aren't better than many more than that. 

I think we will do it, just, with next pre season being critical for this clubs Premier League status. 

I think we'll get a surprise win next week followed by a draw at home to hull, but that'll be irrelevant as 2 of fulham, norwich and Cardiff will lose next week putting us out of danger

Still can't believe people thought we weren't in this battle

We're in it more now, as we've picked up one point in five games. Five games ago, I think the people who were fairly confident that we wouldn't go down were right to think that.

I can't believe that a relegation thread gets made every season now, usually before Christmas, just because we're hanging around the 14th/ 15th position, in what we know is an extremely tight league.

The signs were always there though. No matter how tight the league might be, there were always signs were could go on a terrible run. This is the second time we have lost four and drawn one. We are not good enough

The signs have been there pretty much all season. The squad has lacked strength in depth which is why action desperately needed to be taken in January. Add to that the fact the football we have produced for most of the season has been poor then many could see that we were always likely to catch a cold.

It is understandable that many of us fans couldn't see what was coming. It is however unforgivable that the manager seemed totally oblivious to it.

Since we beat Chelsea we have played like a team with nothing to play for. Even yesterday for the first 30 minutes you'd have thought it was us and not Southampton who had little really to play for.

It is that lack of being switched on and giving our all in the last few weeks that worries me. Against Stoke we were bullied all over the park. Against Fulham they arguably had better players but bottom line is they wanted it more, against Palace a team also not blessed with quality they won simply because they wanted it way more. Whilst we were content to see out the game and go through the motions they kept driving at us. Then yesterday when you think we'd come out 100mph closing down Southampton battling for every ball really giving it a go we started like it was a pre season friendly.

If we are to survive off our own doing then we immediately need to start giving our all and playing like a team that knows the severity of the situation it is in.

Agree with this.

The signs have been there for the majority of the season. There were some who ignored what was happening and pointed to us being 10th or 11th but most could clearly see the shocking performances and awful results.