What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

I've been buying Kumatoes lately and they are superior to regular cherry or grape tomatoes in every way. Sweeter and less acidic and really useful as a quick topping for pasta. I fried up a diced clove of garlic in olive oil and butter, got the pan real hot and then poured a little Riesling in there and threw in some sliced Kumatoes. Tossed some cooked penne in the pan. Chili flakes, salt, fresh ground black pepper, grated Parmesan with a few leaves of fresh basil...glass of Oregon Pinot Gris, and I'm golden.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

On 13/07/2019 at 19:35, peterms said:

Cheapskate corner: found some Cajun smoked chicken at half price as the farmer's market was winding down, had a 22p celeriac to make remoulade, and some homegrown potatoes, tomatoes, and salad leaves.

20190713_192852.jpg

Damn that looks good. 

How did you go about making the remoulade? Looks incredible.

13 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Damn that looks good. 

How did you go about making the remoulade? Looks incredible.

Its really easy.  Grate the celeriac, then mix in some mustard (Dijon is what I use) and mayonnaise, bit of salt and pepper, maybe some chopped chives or parsley if you have them handy.  A bit of lemon juice helps stop the celeriac discolouring, but it's not needed if you dress it immediately.

Nigel Slater has a more upmarket version.

...THE RECIPE

Peel then shred a medium-sized (450g) celeriac. The shreds should not be too fine, nor should they be thicker than a matchstick. Toss them immediately in the juice of half a lemon. Mix together 4 heaped tbsp of good mayonnaise, 2 tbsp of smooth Dijon mustard, 2 tbsp of double cream or crème fraîche and 2 tbsp of chopped parsley. Season with salt and black pepper, then fold into the shredded celeriac. Set aside for 30 minutes then serve with thin slices of ham.

THE TRICK

Toss the shredded roots quickly in lemon juice to stop them discolouring and to tenderise them. The dressing should be just thick enough to cling to the roots – in other words creamy without being soupy. Thin the sauce down with lemon juice if it gets too thick. Cream or crème fraîche sounds extravagant, but is essential if the salad is to be more than just roots in mayo. Don't attempt to keep it overnight. It will become soft and claggy as the celeriac soaks up the dressing. Chop the parsley finely – this is not the time for roughly chopped.

THE TWIST

Beetroot remoulade has a more vibrant colour and a mixture of celeriac and beets is good, but should be lightly mixed so as not to turn the dressing raspberry pink. Poppy seeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds make unorthodox but welcome additions, as do chopped toasted walnuts. A lighter dressing can be made using fromage frais instead of crème fraîche...

7 minutes ago, peterms said:

Its really easy.  Grate the celeriac, then mix in some mustard (Dijon is what I use) and mayonnaise, bit of salt and pepper, maybe some chopped chives or parsley if you have them handy.  A bit of lemon juice helps stop the celeriac discolouring, but it's not needed if you dress it immediately.

Nigel Slater has a more upmarket version.

Cheers, will give that a go. I reckon that would go great on a burger!

On 17/06/2019 at 21:58, peterms said:

Adaptation of an Ottolenghi recipe....snip

so I took this and ran with it...

fried up some chicken with courgette (not a fan of aubergine, am a fan of meat) halved some cherry tomatoes and put them in, cooked the bulgar in a bit of chicken stock, added some cinnamon, garlic, all spice, salt pepper, to the meat, put the bulgar in just before it was finished to let it soak everything up, had some passata so cooked that with some oregano, garlic, salt, pepper

served it separately with yoghurt and flat breads on the side

really nice, ive used it before for various savoury things* but would say the heat from cinnamon still comes as a bit of a surprise 

* I seem to remember sri lanka curries use a lot of cinnamon rather than chili for their heat

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the heat from cinnamon still comes as a bit of a surprise 

* I seem to remember sri lanka curries use a lot of cinnamon rather than chili for their heat

Interesting.  I never think of cinnamon as hot, though I know it's seen as one of the "warm" spices, like cloves.

Tomato slices with salt and pepper, topped with fresh mozzarella slices. I reduced some Balsamic vinegar and drizzled it over the tomatoes and topped them off with fresh basil. Nice light meal for a muggy night.

• Like 1

I have gurkensalat about 4 times a week, think sliced cucumber and a little bit of diced onion in a pickling juice and loads of dill, common side salad and one of my favourite german foods

today it was someone's wedding party in the office, he brought in a lot of bread rolls (brotchen) and probably around 5kg of uncooked mince meat with onions in there, definitely some sort of spice, chives (mett - the dish is called mett brotchen) pretty similar to tartare, really not my kind of thing, there were guys wolfing it down

Â