Ronnie Biggs Dead

maqroll

Yeah, a strange kind of folk hero considering what he did was pretty horrible. 

Certainly not a folk hero for railway people

It's not even that really.  The fact that they beat the shit out a relatively old man with an iron bar (the driver of the train was pushing 60) then left him for dead is a horrible thing to do. It ruined the drivers life, he never recovered from the injuries and he never really went back to work.  I don't think Biggs was the one who beat the driver up but he was complicit in it.  

• Like 1

Hmmmm :detect:

Mandella "dies" just as his film comes out

Biggs "dies" just as there is a well publicised TV programme about the Great Train Robbery

If only Alan Mullery had a this is your life coming up soon ............

• Like 1

So sad, who's going to look after his dog, Razzle now?

Oh hang on, I'm mixing up with Jonny Briggs.

Meh, I couldn't give a shit about the train robber, he was just a tea boy anyway, apparently. What was his sentence and how long did he serve?

I believe he did 10 years of a 30 year sentence.

So sad, who's going to look after his dog, Razzle now?

Oh hang on, I'm mixing up with Jonny Briggs.

Meh, I couldn't give a shit about the train robber, he was just a tea boy anyway, apparently. What was his sentence and how long did he serve?

I believe he did 10 years of a 30 year sentence.
30 years... Heavy handed sentence that. Served 10, sounds about fair to me. Shouldn't have escaped, don't condone it, and he shouldn't be seen as some kind of hero. Celebrating in Brazil as some kind of cult hero that had escaped British justice was rubbing it in, but was 30 years a just sentence?

For the small part he played in the robbery 30 years was a rediculously long sentence. Mixed views! No hero but I wouldn't condemn him either. It is strange that he was smallest cog in the machine but ends up being the most famous. Guess its more about the escape and the exile in Brazil and the beautiful stripper girlfriend than the actual part he played in the robbery.  We do tend to glorify our criminals from the 60s. The Kray twins for instance who were a lot more sinsister and evil than Ronnie Biggs. 

Â