Ronnie Biggs Dead

maqroll

You have to wonder, if his sentence was more fitting to the crime then he might not have felt inclined to plan an escape.

Quite possibly! How much money did he keep from the robbery itself?

I've saw the figure of £147k banded about.

They made off with 120 bags of money totalling £2.6m - the equivalent of £40m in today's money.

Speaking to Nicky Campbell on Radio 1 in 2000 - before his return to the UK - Biggs said his share of the money had been £147,000.

Going by those figures, £147k was the equivalent of £2, 2m in today's money. Which he claims he blew in 3yrs.

He was the mastermind behind the robbery. Anyone watch the first part of  "the great train robbery" on bbc?

I thought it was a good watch actually though half hour was probably to short, I'm aware it was only part one but I understand the 2nd episode is from the police perspective.

On the point of loveable rouge or scumbag, I never understand with these criminals the need for such violence, you point a gun in someone's face, say 'don't move' and very few would play hero. Why smash a iron bar over the poor guys head?

I'm in the rot in hell camp.

What I have always wondered is why Briggs become the main man in the media whenever the great train robbery is talked about. He was the guy who recruited the train driver and didn't do much else apart from that. 

What I have always wondered is why Briggs become the main man in the media whenever the great train robbery is talked about. He was the guy who recruited the train driver and didn't do much else apart from that. 

Probably because he was the one they never caught

Biggs was famous for the fugitive that he became, rather than the criminal that he was.

There was a programme on last week about the top 10 prison escapes of which Biggs was one.

He's only reason for escape was because an appeal had failed, and he did not agree with the high sentence that was placed on him for doing practically nothing in the actual robbery. He served what he thought was a decent stretch before plotting the plan to escape after an appeal failed.

After his escape, he was very clever about what to do and where to go to avoid re-capture; and later only getting arrested on his terms when he needed medical attention.

Well this sounds like a marvellous idea. Criminals deciding for themselves what a decent sentence would be before **** off.

There is nothing clever, admiral or news worthy about him, his life or his death.

Â