Villa fan/Paul Lambert rant - Beware you may be offended

wedge

Buying a ready made premier-league squad for 40m who are on low wages... Lambert has to have some credit for actually doing something incredible. You'll never get world beaters, but for the crappy budget he is on, the guy has done good.

To hear our fans at home with a back drop of c 10 wins in c 45 games.....I think it is a bit rich to criticise them.

Is it? Our home support is pretty poor and one could make the argument that it works both ways - performances affect the crowd but the crowd also affect performances.

Contrast that to our away support which is absolutely fantastic and can't be criticised.

I think the crowd were **** fabulous for long parts last year, even singing the manager's name after big defeats to Chelsea, Spurs and Wigan. It didn't somehow magic us to the top of the table.

I don't think anyone's saying that support is everything.

I never said the players are nervous to make mistakes for the entire game but there seems to be an edge around the place as soon as we go a goal down or start to play poorly.

Sorry to disappoint Mantis but I really wasn't referring to you.

I was merely responding to one of your points.

I just think vocal support in general is reactionary.

I have no doubt as i've stated earlier in the thread that if we start to see better results at home then the fans will be more vocal in their support at home.

One other point that should also be mentioned is that for the first ten minutes of our performance against Man U the players showed no nerves at all and indeed we were the better team within that period so no I don't believe the players are afraid to make mistakes at home due to the home crowd.

Its just that we have been unable to sustain any decent period of play at home to allow the fans to become more vociferous in their support and it's nothing more than that. 

Absolutely. We need to feed off the players as much as they need to feed off us at times. I thought the atmosphere at the game on Sunday was electric at the start (and the boys did well for all of 8 minutes), but the problem was that as soon as we went 1-0 down we all thought "here we go again".

As for Paul Lambert, we're to square one if we sack him, 

While continually changing the manager is pretty much guaranteed not to bring success there is no reason to think that blindly keeping a manager will be a guarantee either.

I have been majorly disappointed in PL on a number of fronts and can see no reason so far or us to "stick with him". Lerner and Faulkner will no doubt have no plan of action apart from keeping their collective heads down until the summer and keeping their little fingers crossed that we do not get relegated.

Lambert will go when Lambert decides and not before.

If players can't cope with a few moans and groans from a crowd then I would question whether they would make it at the top level. Virtually every player will receive criticism, be it from home or away fans. It is up to the player to prove those critics wrong. For example look at gabby, he normally plays best when the opposition fans are giving him gip "moms a whore etc" thus rubbing the criticism back into them.

I think villa fans have been very patient, even when mcleish was in charge, it wasn't until feb/march time that full vocal dissatisfaction was shown. The last few games at home have been truely woeful and therefore I can't blame some fans for showing their feelings. It is up to the players to put in a good performance to get the crowd going.

• Like 3

Ok then, so who would you like to see Lambert replaced with?

I'm not one of those who want Lambert gone right now, but as this question has been asked a million times I'll throw a name out there - Malky Mackay.

That would be great progress....

I'm not one of those who want Lambert gone right now, but as this question has been asked a million times I'll throw a name out there - Malky Mackay.

Enough with the Scots already

Sorry i know it's impossible to come up with names without immediately being shut down.

I hope our next manager comes from outside the UK

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

That would be great progress....

And therein lies the main reason why other posters are relunctant to put names forward. 

• Like 2

Has Mackay done anymore  for Cardiff than Lambert has done for Norwich and Villa. He has had a massive transfer budget at Cardiff.

Edited by PaulC

And therein lies the main reason why other posters are relunctant to put names forward. 

Exactly. These are the responses : 

1. Someone really good, i.e. Guus - 'There's no way he'll come, you're in la la land'

2. Someone unproven, i.e. someone doing good in the lower leages or someone from an OK foreign team - 'There's no way to know how he'll do in the Premier league'

3. Someone availabe, i.e. Clarke, possibly Mackay - 'He's rubbish', well duh... that's why he'd be available to a penny pinching Villa in the first place.

• Like 1

Buying a ready made premier-league squad for 40m who are on low wages... Lambert has to have some credit for actually doing something incredible. You'll never get world beaters, but for the crappy budget he is on, the guy has done good.

DK i've read quotes like 'the best young manager of his generation' and referring to Lambert as a 'technical genius' but 'doing something incredible.' Really?

He has set the worst type of records of any manager we've had in the Premiership, very nearly relegating us in the progress and currently we have the worst scoring record at home in all four divisons.

The much used 'but we're 11th' is currently the only positive that those who support him can provide yet we are still playing abject football and our best players are those who were currently at the club before Lambert arrived with the exception of Vlaar. 

I do not think the above could be in any way described as incredible and indeed i would suggest that to date Lambert's record with us could and should be referred to something as being at the other end of the spectrum from 'incredible.'

Sometimes i believe we as fans actually deserve that lack of success since 1996 because of what is actually become acceptable to us.

Edited by Morpheus

Exactly. These are the responses : 

1. Someone really good, i.e. Guus - 'There's no way he'll come, you're in la la land'

2. Someone unproven, i.e. someone doing good in the lower leages or someone from an OK foreign team - 'There's no way to know how he'll do in the Premier league'

3. Someone availabe, i.e. Clarke, possibly Mackay - 'He's rubbish', well duh... that's why he'd be available to a penny pinching Villa in the first place.

It would be pointless to appoint somebody similar (or worse) to Lambert. I could not bear having to witness another rebuilding program and transitional period.

• Like 1

Â