Villa fan/Paul Lambert rant - Beware you may be offended

wedge

When was the last time Villa had a player to cheer for? Barry? Angel? Mellberg? Laursen? These players were never replaced, the personalities and the courage was never replicated. The fans have no one to see lead the energy of the team and it's not coming from Lambert - last guy it came from was MON. 

Vlaar has that kind of personality, he's just only started looking good though.  Gabby is Villa through and through too.

A lot of Lambert's signings are likable, especially when compared with the players they replaced.

Vlaar, Clark, Baker. Luna. Lowton, Westwood, Sylla, Kozak, Gabby, Delph, Bowery, Bacuna - I get the feeling that these guys are giving 100% every time they pull on a Villa shirt. They are not the most talented players we have ever had (in some cases far far from it) but they pass the first test for me - looking like they give a damn. But if we are looking for heroes, not booing them off at half-time might be a good place to start

• Like 1

When was the last time Villa had a player to cheer for? Barry? Angel? Mellberg? Laursen? These players were never replaced, the personalities and the courage was never replicated. The fans have no one to see lead the energy of the team and it's not coming from Lambert - last guy it came from was MON. 

Has this not just proved my initial point?

I go to "cheer" the whole team, not just one player...

• Like 1

Vlaar, Clark, Baker. Luna. Lowton, Westwood, Sylla, Kozak, Gabby, Delph, Bowery, Bacuna - I get the feeling that these guys are giving 100% every time they pull on a Villa shirt. They are not the most talented players we have ever had (in some cases far far from it) but they pass the first test for me - looking like they give a damn. But if we are looking for heroes, not booing them off at half-time might be a good place to start

Agreed. Not all of them players will be considered a "success" when there time here is over, but they will work extremely hard and appreciate playing for Aston Villa Football Club.
Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

Oh come on, you know full well what he meant.  A hero for the terraces sort of player.

• Like 1

It's got so bad we're now happy if a player looks like he's trying hard or is likeable?

I'd much rather watch someone good at football than someone fail to make a simple pass but he seems like a decent guy.

Yes, I liked it when these "young and hungry" players toppled Arsenal and Manchester City this season. Give the lads a break. 

Oh come on, you know full well what he meant.  A hero for the terraces sort of player.

Is Gabby Agbonlahor not a "hero for the terraces sort of player"

Or Benteke? Who is miles better than Angel was.

My opinion is, if you want to boo Villa, then go to St Andrews or The Hawthorns, because that's what they do there.

Maybe we should start singing an adaption of the "We'll Support You Evermore" song at home games, something like "We'll Support You Until You Go One-Nil Down".

• Like 2

Or Benteke? Who is miles better than Angel was.

My opinion is, if you want to boo Villa, then go to St Andrews or The Hawthorns, because that's what they do there.

Maybe we should start singing an adaption of the "We'll Support You Evermore" song at home games, something like "We'll Support You Until You Go One-Nil Down".

isnt this just a 'im a better fan than you' post?

He doesn't need to. Telling fans to 'go to St. Andrews or The Hawthorns' because they may wish to express themselves differently to him at a game is the archetypal 'better fan then you' argument. It basically translates as Wedge saying that he considers himself and others fans of the same viewpoint to have more right to be at Villa Park then others that differ from them.

Completely unnecessary and very petty really...

• Like 1

Well he effectively has said that he considers some fans less worthy of being at Villa Park. If that isn't indicating that you are a better fan then others, I don't know what is?

Is Gabby Agbonlahor not a "hero for the terraces sort of player"

Well, he would be if he didn't have 1 good game followed by 10 ordinary ones.

• Like 1

Well he effectively has said that he considers some fans less worthy of being at Villa Park. If that isn't indicating that you are a better fan then others, I don't know what is?

Well no he condemned the booing. He didn't say anything about considering some fess less worthy of being at Villa Park.

My patience is wearing thin also. I'm afraid its the old "they get paid enough" so should be performing to the best of their ability every game. These players more often than not, are not! proof, Wiemann anyone?? Fans get annoyed with players not grafting. Its like if we could speak to them personally, it would be like "I've seen your quality, f****g show it". We have seen them at the end of last season and begining of this season beat big teams so we know its there. When they have played like that, why should we pay good money to watch anything less, that's the fans frustration. Answer me this? If the players said they couldn't be bothered for a competitive game would even the biggest fan still go and watch??

There's not actually that much booing considering the tripe that we have served up there for a few years. I am actually surprised that we have been so patient. My patience is starting to wear thin.

Why boo the current players and manager who had nothing to do with 'the last few years'?

Lets be frank Houllier and McLeish were really the scapegoats.

There was one decent season out of O'Leary, the rest was tripe in the main

Martin O'Neill put a bit of pride back 6-6-6 was decent results albeit the Home form was very iffy and we played hoofball  most of the time.

and now we have a very inconsistent version of progress.

we have c 10 years of "jam tomorrow".....in the meantime we have spent c £5000 each on season tickets.

I'm not sure where all this is leading to?

Â