Villa fan/Paul Lambert rant - Beware you may be offended

wedge

Does anyone have experience of going to other Premier League grounds as a home fan? I know it's probably something that is present at all clubs to an extent but there does seem to be an awful lot of moaning at VP.

I went to a QPR home game with a friend a few seasons back when they were in the Championship with Neil Warnock managing. They drew 1-1 and it was a dull game but the fans were relentless chanting Neil Warnock's blue army for easily over 30mins of the match. Was hilarious in fact.

I think as much as some are calling the OP naive in his sentiment and there is an expectancy of the players to perform because we as fans pay our money I'm sure it's also no coincidence that the away Villa fans always back the team regardless of if they're losing which also no dare say galvanizes the players.

It's always hard for me to talk about this stuff though as I've only been to 3 games in the last 2 years thanks to being at university in Bournemouth. So I guess you could argue what right do I have to moan about the home supports lack of... Support if I'm not there lol

I dont want Lambert sacked at the moment even though the football is dire.

One thing I will never do is boo at the stadium or boo our own players off or ironic cheers when someone who has had a bad game finally gets subbed. It just isn't going to help. On the other side im not going to stand up and blindly cheer them on when we are 2-0 down and we have been awful.

There was a guy in the Upper Holte a few weeks ago, v Cardiff and just before half time he started shouting out on his own 'They are all shit, Tonev, shit, Baker, shit, KEA, shit! Lambert, SHIT!' a few fans had a go at him and he kept on saying how he paid his money and it was his right to say what he wanted. Id never seen him before and haven't seen him since so not a season ticket holder but these fans amaze me, I dont know why they turn up. I thought it was going to kick off at one point as one fan was really pissed off with him.

I go to our games and I will support the team and if im unhappy I leave the stadium at the end of the match, make my way home and log onto Villatalk and moan on here instead  :P

Bang on about the booing

It really does my head in. Like it's going to help the players!

I may be wrong (as I'm getting on a bit now and have lost a few of my brain cells) but I don't recall fans booing our own team years ago?

I actually don't have a problem with someone venting their spleen though. You've got to show your frustration somehow, but booing, well it's what you'd expect little kids to do

UTV

• Like 1

Villa fans frustrate and annoy me more than ANY other fanbase in the world, which is quite a problem considering Aston Villa Football Club has been my only true love in my 20 years on this planet. I usually keep quiet about my love/hate for my fellow supporters usually, but the recent wave of 'Lambert out' cries following yesterday's defeat (to the reigning and 20-time Premier League champions) has forced me to comment.

Aston Villa fans (especially at home games) tend to disassociate themselves from the club from the minute we go a goal down. Of course this is born from a love of the club and a desire to see the Villa do well. Having said this, I still think part of the reason we're so bad at home is the crowd, as soon as we go a goal down "they're (surely that should be "we're"?) all shit" and they get booed, compare that to teams abroad who's fans still sing even if they're 3-0 down.

The fans should be lifting the team when we're behind, but instead of the players responding to the crowd, the crowd responds to the players and what's happening on the pitch. Our young players are scared to death to play in front of 35,000 moaners who, for the most part, only want to know when we're winning.

As for Paul Lambert, we're to square one if we sack him, this is a slow progression project, seemingly everyone apart from Villa supporters can see this, we will finish a lot higher than last year, game-for-game, we have taken more points from the games so far this season than we did in the same matches last season, that's what progression is! It's like some Villa fans expect us to be challenging for the top four, the only way we will ever get anywhere close to that again is by sticking with a manager than has a long-term plan and stability in his job. It's not going to happen overnight. Rant well and truly over. UTV.

This is 100% the truth and the reason why we struggle at home.

Nothing gets on my nerves more than when people start to groan at a misplaced pass, or start boo-ing at HT. Football is all about trying something different, it won't always come off but you have to keep trying. If you get slated by half the crowd for making a mistake or luck not going your way whilst trying, why would you want to try again?

I can't blame Lambert playing for points this season to get comfortable in the league and my personal opinion is that the football itself will improve (especially once our more important player(s) regain form) later in the season but to me, it just seems like most of the crowd at VP have never played football before, and literally have no idea what the reality is.

I agree. I find it interesting that people can, out of the same mouth, chastise Ireland and Bannan for "Hollywood balls" and also complain about or current midfielders lack of creativity.

it just seems like most of the crowd at VP have never played football before, and literally have no idea what the reality is.

So do you think that fans of other football clubs have all played football before? And are you advocating that only people who have played football before should be allowed into Villa Park?

This is puzzling.

• Like 1

To hear our fans at home with a back drop of c 10 wins in c 45 games.....I think it is a bit rich to criticise them.

Is it? Our home support is pretty poor and one could make the argument that it works both ways - performances affect the crowd but the crowd also affect performances.

Contrast that to our away support which is absolutely fantastic and can't be criticised.

And likewise, one could also say that we player better away because the fans are excellent and the players feel less pressure.

Or you could say that the system we play relies upon the opposition having a lot of possession and catching them on the counter act.

Away fans have always been positive. It's a day out have some fun!

Anyway sack the fans!!! LOL!!

• Like 1

And likewise, one could also say that we player better away because the fans are excellent and the players feel less pressure.

Well I've only seen two away games this season, Norwich and Fulham. we were pretty awful in both.

I've seen all home fixtures. Haven't seen anything bar substandard dross apart from the odd ten minutes here or there.

The supporters won't put up with it forever.

• Like 1

Or you could say that the system we play relies upon the opposition having a lot of possession and catching them on the counter act.

Away fans have always been positive. It's a day out have some fun!

Anyway sack the fans!!! LOL!!

I never said it was entirely to do with the fans - that would be stupid. Tactics no doubt play a big part but I doubt they're the only reason.

Is it though? Even when we play shit we still seem to get excellent support away.

You make it out as though this was unique to Villa - which it isn't.

With the exception of your typically low supported teams like Fulham, Wigan etc, most clubs, and especially those of our size will have a decent away following and typically that away following will be vociferous - it's just the nature of that particular beast

Edit: Example - this is a subject that is discussed on a Man Utd forum - http://community.manutd.com/forums/t/224148.aspx

Edited by drat01
  • Like 1

I just think vocal support in general is reactionary.

I have no doubt as i've stated earlier in the thread that if we start to see better results at home then the fans will be more vocal in their support at home.

One other point that should also be mentioned is that for the first ten minutes of our performance against Man U the players showed no nerves at all and indeed we were the better team within that period so no I don't believe the players are afraid to make mistakes at home due to the home crowd.

Its just that we have been unable to sustain any decent period of play at home to allow the fans to become more vociferous in their support and it's nothing more than that. 

To hear our fans at home with a back drop of c 10 wins in c 45 games.....I think it is a bit rich to criticise them.

Is it? Our home support is pretty poor and one could make the argument that it works both ways - performances affect the crowd but the crowd also affect performances.

Contrast that to our away support which is absolutely fantastic and can't be criticised.

I think the crowd were **** fabulous for long parts last year, even singing the manager's name after big defeats to Chelsea, Spurs and Wigan. It didn't somehow magic us to the top of the table.

I never said the players are nervous to make mistakes for the entire game but there seems to be an edge around the place as soon as we go a goal down or start to play poorly.

Sorry to disappoint Mantis but I really wasn't referring to you.

Â