*spoilers* The Walking Dead *spoilers*

dont_do_it_doug.

When I first saw it, it did scream to me 'well, we haven't sorted out the contracts for x persons yet, so let's leave it open', but in hindsight, I think I was possibly being overly cynical...possibly.

Well we know its not Carl for 100% as he said about cutting his other eye out and feeding it to Rick. So those two are out. Negan is against violence to all women. So that leaves Eugene, Abraham, Daryl, Aaron, and Glenn. If its Aaron that be a flop so I dont think it be him. Cant see it being Daryl now a sthey would have done shock factor now..

So its between Eugene, Abraham and Glenn. I dont think it would be Eugene. I think its between Glenn and Abraham. Like I said above the taking it like a trooper comment sounds like Abraham. But I think for shock value they should go for Glenn. 

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well we know its not Carl for 100% as he said about cutting his other eye out and feeding it to Rick. So those two are out. Negan is against violence to all women. So that leaves Eugene, Abraham, Daryl, Aaron, and Glenn. If its Aaron that be a flop so I dont think it be him. Cant see it being Daryl now a sthey would have done shock factor now..

So its between Eugene, Abraham and Glenn. I dont think it would be Eugene. I think its between Glenn and Abraham. Like I said above the taking it like a trooper comment sounds like Abraham. But I think for shock value they should go for Glenn. 

The one thing that would make me lean towards Glenn is that in "The Talking Dead" (or whatever it's called) after-show chatty programme where they digest what they've just watched, the writer talks about the fact that the death 'changes the group' into something else and puts them on a different path.  I could see that explanation being more relevant from a moral point of view if Maggie and the group were to lose Glenn (imminent father), moreso than if the group were to lose Abraham who wouldn't necessitate quite that change in approach.

I agree with you guys, but I wonder if they've put all that stuff in about Abraham wanting to be a father and finally getting to be with Sasha in order to give him a little something extra to lose. FWIW I still think it's Glenn. Anyone else and it wouldn't be as effective in my opinion.

I'm quietly confident they'll reveal who it was who took a dirt nap in the first episode of next season. I watched Talking Dead and to their credit they did confront the criticism the Internet was giving. If I remember correctly the writers/producers said something to the effect that the reason they didn't reveal who it was is because the story of the episode was Rick losing all confidence and control and being brought back down to earth with a bang and the death of an important character is the start of a new story that the new season will cover.

I don't agree, personally. I think the death of a character dear to Rick should have been the end of that episode's story as it compounds his loss of control, then next season's story should be the aftermath of losing that person and how the group changes because of it. The audience were robbed of potentially one of the best scenes in TV history and I don't think it'll have the same effect with 6 months in between and no build up beforehand.

6 minutes ago, Ginko said:

I agree with you guys, but I wonder if they've put all that stuff in about Abraham wanting to be a father and finally getting to be with Sasha in order to give him a little something extra to lose. FWIW I still think it's Glenn. Anyone else and it wouldn't be as effective in my opinion.

Yeah I too watched the conversation in the front of the RV thinking to myself "well this is all fairly blatantly setting old Abe up for a fail". 

There was also some strange editing.  Where they came upon the final largest roadblock that was arranged like a massive triangle of people and obstacles, they were never seen moving back away from it.  It just came back from an ad break and cut to them stopped on the side of a road discussing leaving Eugene in the driver's seat.

1 hour ago, Ginko said:

Yeah that is why I think it may be Abraham. Glenn would be a bigger loss for the group. If you think about it since the group formed Glenn is the guy he has known longest. So he will take this hard, as will a majority of the group. Glenn helped Rick in the tank scene in series 1, so i do believe Rick will take this death hard if it is confirmed to be Glenn.

I'm quietly confident they'll reveal who it was who took a dirt nap in the first episode of next season. I watched Talking Dead and to their credit they did confront the criticism the Internet was giving. If I remember correctly the writers/producers said something to the effect that the reason they didn't reveal who it was is because the story of the episode was Rick losing all confidence and control and being brought back down to earth with a bang and the death of an important character is the start of a new story that the new season will cover.

I hope so, if its a stupid flashback that will really wind me up. Rick looked defeated and I expect that will be a majority of the next series, the group taking orders from negans group until half way through where something must happen for Rick getting his fight back.

I don't agree, personally. I think the death of a character dear to Rick should have been the end of that episode's story as it compounds his loss of control, then next season's story should be the aftermath of losing that person and how the group changes because of it. The audience were robbed of potentially one of the best scenes in TV history and I don't think it'll have the same effect with 6 months in between and no build up beforehand.

Agree 100%, that moment could have been epic and they blew it big time

I wish I liked the Walking Dead. The girlfriend loves it, her family loves it, a bunch of colleagues love it, but it's never grabbed me. I watched the first series, then heard the second was shite, so didn't bother with it.

Is it worth struggling past the second series?

Just now, Chindie said:

I wish I liked the Walking Dead. The girlfriend loves it, her family loves it, a bunch of colleagues love it, but it's never grabbed me. I watched the first series, then heard the second was shite, so didn't bother with it.

It's OK, skip the second season, or at least the first half entirely. You won't miss much. In fact the main problem is you can skip three or four episodes in between each season end/mid season break finale. And you won't really lose anything.

• Like 1

Just now, Chindie said:

From memory, it does get better than the second series, definitely.  But it can be quite samey.  It does progress and there are great episodes but I've started watching it now almost because I've come this far.

• Like 1

Right. Cheers both. I think it's on Amazon Prime these days so can probably get up to the 5th series at least.

My concern was with it being samey. Ultimately my impression is that a zombie apocalypse probably gets pretty dull in fairly short order and therefore 6 series of that would probably burn out pretty quickly. There's only so many episodes where nothing happens I can take.

The second series on the farm was such a drag.  I'm really surprised I made it out the other side although the last couple of episodes where it all comes to a head with Shane are good.  Season 3 is probably my favourite so far with the prison and Woodbury.

I have noticed a general trend of everything of note happening in the first and last episodes of each half season though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

The second series on the farm was such a drag.  I'm really surprised I made it out the other side although the last couple of episodes where it all comes to a head with Shane are good.  Season 3 is probably my favourite so far with the prison and Woodbury.

I have noticed a general trend of everything of note happening in the first and last episodes of each half season though.

Actually yeah the tail end of season 2 is good and, consequently, season 3 is very good off the back of it.  So @Chindie if you're ever going to get hooked (or at least invested in their fortunes) then it'll be last part of S2 and on into S3. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately there is a trend of having quite a few episodes each season where nothing much happens, or they go off foraging and walk around for a stupidly long time.

It's very frustrating and the only thing I can compare it to is when an anime TV show in Japan catches up to the manga it's based off. When that happens the TV show produces their own 'filler' episodes so they don't overtake the source material, but consequently it means that nothing of any note can happen in case it were to affect the characters or storylines in the source material further down the road. It causes the 'filler' episodes to become very bland and boring.

The Walking Dead is the same yet it has no real reason to be since the comic is quite far ahead and they also don't focus on certain events enough or just leave them out entirely. What's left is a very water-downed version of the main story arc and they risk doing exactly what they did last night and miss the concentrated impact of the source material's best scenes. 

They're stretching it too thin. Catching up to the comics is a real concern, I get that, I just think there are a number of better ways to ensure that this doesn't happen than the tactics the show currently employs. I'll carry on watching because frankly at the moment I have a fair bit of spare time, but if I had to trim a bit of TV time off my schedule it'd be the first show to go, no question.

My impression, from hearing people talk about it, is that the Walking Dead operates on the basis of having a bunch of 'bottle' episodes in essence in each series to keep the budget down, but they try make it less obvious than something like Breaking Bad, which has the most obvious bottle episode in history.

Was series 3 the guvnor? Or was that 4? Thats when it started getting good. The last few seasons in my view have been good but yes as like some have highlighted there are usually many pointless episodes. 

I don't think they're concerned about catching up to the comics in the slightest, actually. I would put the filler down to, for whatever reason (probably the length (short) and time between each one? (long)), in comics we seem to be quite happy for a character to drop off the face of the earth, but in TV, not so much. Hence the filler. We gotta know where each character is, what they're doing, what they're having for tea, whose making tea, whose doing the dishes, etc...case in point, I even found myself asking where Jesus was in the finale. I didn't even notice Sophia in the crowd during Rick's speech in #150. So, they try to manifacture as many set pieces for TV as possible to give the less important characters screen time.

It's one of only what...3 shows I have a long term 'investment' in, so I'm generally quite forgiving of it's failings. The end of this season crossed that line, but there's no doubt I'll be watching future seasons.

Edited by hogso

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Was series 3 the guvnor? Or was that 4? Thats when it started getting good. The last few seasons in my view have been good but yes as like some have highlighted there are usually many pointless episodes. 

3 was the main series with him in Woodbury etc.

32 minutes ago, Chindie said:

My impression, from hearing people talk about it, is that the Walking Dead operates on the basis of having a bunch of 'bottle' episodes in essence in each series to keep the budget down, but they try make it less obvious than something like Breaking Bad, which has the most obvious bottle episode in history.

Fly? I loved Fly.

Â