2014 FIFA World Cup

BOF

You'd have to ask the Dutch FA (or the English FA for that matter ...) about their stupid use of friendlies. I see it has been explained by others above. The system is there. Every FA knows (or should know) what that system is. If an FA can't use it to their advantage then they are stupid.

How?

We normally play good teams in friendlies.

The lowest ranked team we played in a friendly was probably Ireland...

You do play good teams but if; like Switzerland; you had avoided playing some of those friendlies for the sake of it; rather than playing them and losing or drawing them, then your average wouldn't have been affected.  By not playing a match here and there, Switzerland kept their average up and used the (admittedly flawed) system to perfection.
  • Like 1

Well, enjoy this one because the next 2 WC's are Russia and Qatar...

I'm still holding out that they award it to Australia, not Qatar...that somehow, some way, the corruption that gifted them the WC is exposed and they give it to Oz, or a joint Oz-NZ bid.

• Like 1

I'm still holding out that they award it to Australia, not Qatar...that somehow, some way, the corruption that gifted them the WC is exposed and they give it to Oz, or a joint Oz-NZ bid.

corruption that has never been exposed or proven. the won the vote, its time people get over it

corruption that has never been exposed or proven. the won the vote, its time people get over it

Wat? 

There is another way, other than proving corruption, that it could be given to Australia and I think I read that Australia (amongst other bidders) were looking at going down that route in the future (there is still time). Basically it posits that Qatar won the very specific vote to 'host a summer event' and if it turns out that it needs to be moved for them, then by that reasoning their win becomes null and void because it's no longer a 'summer event' and it goes to someone who can host it. Obviously the legal bods will ache over the paperwork but that's the jist of an appeal.
  • Like 1

There is another way, other than proving corruption, that it could be given to Australia and I think I read that Australia (amongst other bidders) were looking at going down that route in the future (there is still time). Basically it posits that Qatar won the very specific vote to 'host a summer event' and if it turns out that it needs to be moved for them, then by that reasoning their win becomes null and void because it's no longer a 'summer event' and it goes to someone who can host it. Obviously the legal bods will ache over the paperwork but that's the jist of an appeal.

thats different I dont mind that but its people just moaning at Qatar at every opportunity. Its nice to see a small country win these big events and if Qatar was to prove capable it would open up for other small nations to have a chance like a Sweden, Holland or Portugal who will never get a chance under current sort of attitudes

Qatar clearly bought the World Cup, FIFA even admitted it.

They should take it off them and give it to Australia - a proper host country.

A country that has a population the same as Northern Ireland hosting the World Cup is a joke.

Brazil - Russia - Australia looks and sounds decent.

Edited by TRS-T
  • Like 1

Australia is in the wrong time zone for big TV audiences.  How can you make hundreds of millions of pounds from television advertising revenues if your biggest market is asleep during most of the matches? 

• Like 2

Wat? 

Zatman thinks that we only shout about corruption because we're bitter that England didn't get it. Or something.

It would be similar to the world cup in 2002 in terms of time zones. Although Europe is where the money is at in terms of TV revenue, 60% of the worlds population live in Asia. Anyway the world cup in 2022 will not be getting moved so it is an irrelevant discussion to be honest. I almost certain FIFA will stick with Qatar which is a real shame.

Australia is in the wrong time zone for big TV audiences.  How can you make hundreds of millions of pounds from television advertising revenues if your biggest market is asleep during most of the matches? 

You're right... but it didn't seem a problem in 2002 with Japan/Korea, which is essentially the same time zone as Australia.

So Pele has turned down the offer to take part in Friday's draw because he doesn't want to risk choosing a tough group for Brazil. What a wimp. It's in your own country and you won't help out. clearing in the woods.

thats different I dont mind that but its people just moaning at Qatar at every opportunity. Its nice to see a small country win these big events and if Qatar was to prove capable it would open up for other small nations to have a chance like a Sweden, Holland or Portugal who will never get a chance under current sort of attitudes

Even if it proved itself capable at the expense of the lives of dozens, perhaps hundreds of slave workers?

So Pele has turned down the offer to take part in Friday's draw because he doesn't want to risk choosing a tough group for Brazil. What a wimp. It's in your own country and you won't help out. clearing in the woods.

He was quick enough this morning to remind Brazilian protesters that they should pipe down and be grateful to have the international republic of fifa showcase their country mind...