2014 FIFA World Cup

BOF

Seedings in football are bullshit. They started doing it in the League Cup now too for the first few rounds.

Stick everyone in a hat and draw them out, who cares what country they are from. Champions League, World Cup, whatever competition. Would make it a lot better.

• Like 1

I don't care what the criteria is I'm not having that.

We've been here :) It tends to be win your group and win nearly every match you play. Switzerland guilty as charged. If teams don't want them in pot 1 then maybe they should just beat them.

Explain Holland then...

• Like 1

Seedings in football are bullshit. They started doing it in the League Cup now too for the first few rounds.

Stick everyone in a hat and draw them out, who cares what country they are from. Champions League, World Cup, whatever competition. Would make it a lot better.

Don't know you want the best teams getting to the later stages. Once you get rid of the poorer teams and we get down to the knockout stage it gets more interesting.

Holland won every single match in qualifying didn't they? Qualified for euro 2012 (where admittedly they were shite but at leas they were there unlike Swiss) and reached the world cup final last time out.

But of course because they didn't play Greenland and Andorra all the time in friendlies they're in pot 4.

Holland won every single match in qualifying didn't they? Qualified for euro 2012 (where admittedly they were shite but at leas they were there unlike Swiss) and reached the world cup final last time out.

But of course because they didn't play Greenland and Andorra all the time in friendlies they're in pot 4.

Ironicallly, IIRC it was because the Dutch played a friendly against Indonesia earlier in the year they brought their average ranking point haul down enough to pull them out of the seeded group, whereas I've read somewhere the Swiss FA were loathe to arrange friendlies to preserve their rankings.

Won 9 and drew the other after we'd qualified.

Didn't they play Indonesia as some kind of colonial celebration game or something?

Yes, that was it.

Netherlands always seem to be in the group of death. 2000, 2004, 2006, 2008 and 2012. And their world cup 2010 wasn't a group of death but it was not easy with Denmark, Japan and Cameroon. It's a bout time Netherlands had a nice easy group.

• Like 1

I don't care what the criteria is I'm not having that.

We've been here :) It tends to be win your group and win nearly every match you play. Switzerland guilty as charged. If teams don't want them in pot 1 then maybe they should just beat them.

Explain Holland then...

You'd have to ask the Dutch FA (or the English FA for that matter ...) about their stupid use of friendlies. I see it has been explained by others above. The system is there. Every FA knows (or should know) what that system is. If an FA can't use it to their advantage then they are stupid.
  • Like 1

As BOF says, everyone knows the rules, so there's no point in complaining about them. The Swiss have just been a bit smarter than everyone else.

That said, the system is pretty stupid. Italy came in at second place in the previous euros, and have been outseeded by a team who didn't even make it to the competition. If FIFA had any sense, they'd weight it in favour of those teams achieving success in a competitive environment, giving less importance to pointless friendlies.

Holland are an interesting example though.  They were really poor in 2012. They lost five times in the calendar year, including all of their Euro 2012 fixtures.  I don't think you can gloss over that. 

Holland are an interesting example though.  They were really poor in 2012. They lost five times in the calendar year, including all of their Euro 2012 fixtures.  I don't think you can gloss over that. 

True but they did qualify, Swiss didn't.