2014 FIFA World Cup

BOF

Messi is always poor in tournaments for some reason

yeah but assuming they play 4-3-3 at that front 3 can be made up from messi, aguero, higuain, tevez, palacio, lamela, di maria, lavezzi, gaitan, and look out for icardi young inter striker

its not that bad is it!

assuming argentina win their group they'll then get switzerland / france then at a guess portugal / belgium in the quarters

i think they can get to the semis

is their defence that bad?

GK -Romero

RB - Zabaleta

CB - Otamendi

CB - Garay

LB - ???

they could drop mascherano in at CB too and peruzzi looks like he'll be a good RB, hasnt really happened for ansaldi at LB has it?

except Zabaleta the rest are average for me. Garay got nowhere near Madrid team when he was there and Otamendi always looks like he has an error in him. Coloccini and Mascherano would probably be a better defence.

left back is sometimes Rojo and he isnt great either

They don't have that good a midfield so they can't afford to not have Mascherano playing in it. Coloccini and Garay is their strongest CB pairing probably which is decent but nothing too special.

Jeeezus, one of the workers fell 115 ft.  :o

Just read aswell that a few hours later a worker nearby (not actually working on the stadium) died of a heart attack - his family say he was being overworked.

• 1 month later...

not even a foul! and we say our refs are shit

if he's out for the season i think monaco will pay him something like £7.5m before he kicks a ball again for them! shame, you always want the best players at the world cup  

and is number 8 ludovic guily? i thought he'd retired

• 2 weeks later...

More madness 

Angry Brazilian fans broke into a World Cup training centre and assaulted players and staff on Saturday in an attack that highlighted the security concerns facing teams in this year's tournament.

About 100 Corinthians supporters used wirecutters to breach the perimeter mesh around a coaching area in São Paulo – which will be used by the Iranian national side in June – so they could berate their team's players for recent poor form.

No one was seriously injured, but the invading fans grabbed and throttled striker Paolo Guerrero, who scored the winner against Chelsea in the 2012 Club World Cup final.

"They tried to strangle the player who scored the most important goal in our club's history. We didn't deserve this," club president Mario Gobbi said on Sunday.

According to local media, the fans refused to leave for two hours and also manhandled the coach Mano Menezes, striker Emerson Sheik and Alexandre Pato, a former AC Milan forward and the club's most expensive signing last year.

The players were in such a state of shock that Corinthians initially requested the postponement of the match they were due to play on Sunday against Ponte Preta. The club said the game should be put back to "preserve and protect all involved".

This request was withdrawn owing to commitments to TV rightsholders, but the mood of insecurity at the club persists.

Corinthians have referred the case to police and provided CCTV footage to help identify those responsible for what the club describes as an act of vandalism.

"Our employees don't feel safe any more," said Gobbi.

Brazil's supporters organisations have a long history of violence, often with lethal consequences.

For the most part the hooliganism is associated with clubs and organised crime rather than the national side.

But with the World Cup due to start in just over four months, participating teams may seek reassurance that their players will be adequately protected from intensely passionate fans, both at training grounds and in stadiums.

As one comment on the latest incident put it: "After reading this, I don't thing [sic] anyone will be willing to knock them [brazil] out of the WC."

the-fiver.png
Edited by maqroll

To many, the statistics justify the violent backlash: between 2007 and 2013 more than 33,000 people were murdered in Rio, 1,070 as a consequence of being mugged. Even more frighteningly, 5,412 people died in conflicts with the police.

Jaysus!

Less about the WC, more about Brazil, but still

I am currently in Bogota, Colombia but I was in Rio for the last few weeks and on my 3rd night I was held up at knife point in the Lapa district. They took my phone and the money I had on me. Thankfully, knowing South America well, I always leave my cards and watch in the hotel safe and so I wasn't too inconvenienced but I suspect a lot of people will be getting f***** over all around the country.

On a side note, the people here seem very confident that Falcao will make it for the World Cup and they seem to rate Brazil as favourites.

Edited by One For The Road