What is your experience of mental health?

AstonMartyn88

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it. 

I've been on since January - upped the dosage to 100mg couple of weeks ago.

It worked fine, all the usual 'ticky' stuff dropped off after a few weeks, but since I've come back from a festival in Feb, I've dropped like a stone. I didn't really 'feel' depressed previously, I was taking it for anxiety, but now I feel absolutely flat. Not suicidal, not like that, just absolutely no energy, no drive, no go in me.

I recently was put on fluoxetine. And propranolol. I've not noticed them do anything.

I was previously on sertraline at a party high dose for a number of years. Again didn't notice anything, until I stopped taking it then I got bad brain pops for a month or so.

5 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it. 

I've been on since January - upped the dosage to 100mg couple of weeks ago.

It worked fine, all the usual 'ticky' stuff dropped off after a few weeks, but since I've come back from a festival in Feb, I've dropped like a stone. I didn't really 'feel' depressed previously, I was taking it for anxiety, but now I feel absolutely flat. Not suicidal, not like that, just absolutely no energy, no drive, no go in me.

That's not really enough time to make any judgements especially if you have gone to a festival. You will understandably get a natural high and a noticeable drop once that natural high has worn off.  

Chat to a professional regarding dosage amounts and the best time to take them. 

• Like 2

On 06/03/2024 at 19:46, T-Dog said:

Posted in the 'Health and Sickness' thread but probably better suited in here.

Does anyone have any experience of taking Sertraline? I recently had quite a 'big' life event that has potentially changed my life, and I started developing OCD symptoms a couple of weeks after, to the point where it was affecting my work. Doc put me on Sertraline and I've been on it since Jan, and at first it seemed to work quite well. The dosage has been upped since, and now I feel worse, more anxiety based OCD about a number of things. I'm guessing 'life' has caused the anxiety, but I don't understand why it's hit me like a train when I'm on double the dosage now? 

TIA.

After my dramas (that I wrote about in the relationship thread), I had a bit of a bleak tumble over Christmas and my dad (a retired GP) finally won the battle to get me onto antidepressants. I went to the GP, did the test but was borderline depressed and ended up on 50mg of sertraline, and I've been on it since just before new year. The first two weeks were rough—and starting them just before new year was a massive error as the second of January was probably the worst day I've ever had—delayed hangover, tiredness, coming up on sertraline, feeling directionless and lost, home alone—I've never ruminated so awfully and constantly.

Happily though it was my lowest point. I leant into running (which I'd been building up over the previous month or so) and got back on the job hunt. I also came to accept that my ex was a weirdo and that it was nothing to do with me. The sertraline, imo, started more and more making me feel as if I didn't give a damn about her. It just created this sense of ambivalence in me, and it was enough to get me going again alongside everything else. I sent out loads of job applications and got picked up by a couple of recruitment people, who very quickly got me a couple of job offers. I accepted one, and left Madrid last week to move to Devon, where I'm now a copywriter.

Sertraline has ultimately helped me get my life back on track—it's been one tool among a lot of other tools, along with good support from friends and family, and treating myself as well as possible. I do feel it though, I think. It's slightly keeping me a touch more ambivalent about a lot of things, but I'm still capable of all the emotions, so it's not bad. Still, I'm going to try to speak to the GP again soon with the aim of tapering off it.

I also found out that half the people I know are on it for a variety of reasons. For me, it's been amazing honestly. Six, five, four, three months ago I couldn't imagine feeling normal again, but now it's all good. I'm happy to sing it's praises to anyone.

I wonder if you're feeling extra weird as your body adapts to the higher dose?

• Like 4

Three months without medication. Clinic called me last week, my case manager, a fantastic young psychologist. 

He asked if i could come in that day with a tone of urgency. I asked if it was in relation to my medication, while thinking that the last session i had where i spoke with a sense of urgency i was nearly admitted to psychiatric confinement. 

I let him know last week, as best i could, that i was doing fine. 

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

Three months without medication. Clinic called me last week, my case manager, a fantastic young psychologist. 

He asked if i could come in that day with a tone of urgency. I asked if it was in relation to my medication, while thinking that the last session i had where i spoke with a sense of urgency i was nearly admitted to psychiatric confinement. 

I let him know last week, as best i could, that i was doing fine. 

You could be doing fine. A professional can make that judgement. 

You could be doing badly but THINKING you are fine,  A professional can make that judgement. 

Make sure you check in with the professionals.  That's why they are there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was prescribed Sertraline very recently as I have been struggling for a few months with health anxiety. I’ve had it many years but never taken anything to try and manage it. However, I feel as though I have been ill since December, keep getting colds and sore throats. Anyway, I got so fed up that I decided to go the doctors to have a general check over and request some blood tests. Also described how it has been making me feel, impacting on my work, and how December is a pretty sad time now since my mother died over Christmas 2022. 

Blood tests have come back clear which is good news. But now I am left with the decision on whether or not I start on the anti-depressants. I have no idea what to do.

Just now, Mandy Lifeboats said:

You could be doing fine. A professional can make that judgement. 

You could be doing badly but THINKING you are fine,  A professional can make that judgement. 

Make sure you check in with the professionals.  That's why they are there. 

I've been receiving treatment from this clinic for a decade. I know them like they know me.

Not a month has gone by without an hour long session with a psychologist, at times i see him weekly. He's great. Unfortunately he has to answer to and work in accordance with the psychiatric assessment given further up the hierarchy. He's gone as far as he can without jeopardizing his professionalism to give me honest counsel, and that has included empathising with my frustrations regarding treatment, encouraging a review of my mental health file, and even notifying me that a colleague had made enquiries about me and that he couldn't police my file to ensure people who shouldn't be accessing it, weren't. This was during a time i was chairman of the advisory board to the clinic.

I've sought therapy and professional counsel from outside sources also.

I'm taking some me time.

I will be certain to stay in touch. 

Thank you for saying though @Mandy Lifeboats

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

he couldn't police my file to ensure people who shouldn't be accessing it, 

I will be certain to stay in touch. 

1. This cou.d be interpreted as a paranoid thought. That worries me. 

2. Just stay in touch.   Self diagnosing mental health is obviously ridiculous.  Your condition could prevent an objective view.

👍

21 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

1. This cou.d be interpreted as a paranoid thought. That worries me. 

2. Just stay in touch.   Self diagnosing mental health is obviously ridiculous.  Your condition could prevent an objective view.

👍

1. It's really not. The insinuation was that a woman who had recently been promoted from peer worker to consumer consultant (upon my recommendation) and who was to work alongside me on the consumer advisory board, had make enquiry about me that morning. Psychologists policing comments followed. This woman had three consumers accuse her of accessing their files, something i discovered well and truly afterwards. 

Fwiw she was the liaise between myself and management during the revamp of the consumer advisory board. The management that was responsible for the removal of the previous advisory board and i had a moment of disagreement in the final meeting before it was ended.

Due to the royal commission into mental health, it was never going to be long before an advisory board was reintroduced. I was one of the first to be brought back, and i was working under a chairwoman who decided to move on shortly after the board was reestablished. She gave the clinic her recommendation for who should succeed her, and i was appointed. 

It wasn't long before management, yes, the one I'd not seen eye-to-eye with, appointed the young woman from consumer consultant, to chair.

I was terminated not only from chair, but thanked for my five years on the board and told to move on.

Within two months both management and the new chair woman were no longer employed at the clinic. And that had nothing to do with me. I was advised to go to fair work, but advisory boards aren't regulated under law. And honestly my feelings were if that's how it was, I'd be in for a lot that had little to do with the work i had started and intended. Advocating for consumers and bridging the gap between the clinicians and the consumers, to work together. 

2. I have an amazing support network, and i have no intention of my ego getting in the way of moving towards a better standard of living. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

I was prescribed Sertraline very recently as I have been struggling for a few months with health anxiety. I’ve had it many years but never taken anything to try and manage it. However, I feel as though I have been ill since December, keep getting colds and sore throats. Anyway, I got so fed up that I decided to go the doctors to have a general check over and request some blood tests. Also described how it has been making me feel, impacting on my work, and how December is a pretty sad time now since my mother died over Christmas 2022. 

Blood tests have come back clear which is good news. But now I am left with the decision on whether or not I start on the anti-depressants. I have no idea what to do.

@Tayls

I know i don't know you outside of your posts here, however i want to challenge this.

Would it be fair to say, you have a good idea of your options, and it is those options that are bringing up conflicting feelings? 

Could it be that what you are doing already is an indication that you can trust yourself through these difficult and challenging times?

You are absorbing these difficulties, and it's feeling difficult. That's natural, and a good sign of human. 

Anti depressants, to the best of my knowledge, take roughly a month or two to start working at changing the brain's chemistry. I'm not too familiar with what they inhibit or release. You do have a measurable time frame though on how long it should be working by.

All i want to emphasise is that your feelings and thoughts can be trusted, and should be valued, the entire way.

You have every right to have a change of heart or mind about what serves you and what will bring you peace.

The reason i say this is because it is important that for you to know what to do, that you value your own input in the dialogue. And that begins with what goes on in that noggin.

Allow yourself what you are feeling.

Ask yourself what you would like to see given the circumstances, moving forward.

And surround yourself with a team that can help facilitate that.

Big hugs and condolences.

Edited by A'Villan

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/03/2024 at 22:36, Tayls said:

Hi Tayls, this sounds so similar to my own experience. I lost my mum in 2016, and then my dad a couple of years after that. I really struggled with anxiety and low mood, and then depression. I’ve been on fluoxetine (20mg a day) since then, and honestly it was the best decision I’ve ever made. I saw a quote somewhere and I fully agree, taking it felt like you know when you wake up on a summer morning and the sun is out and you just want to get up and start the day? Well, it’s like someone turns the sunshine on all the time. 
I’m still me, I’m just a more settled and happier version.

• Like 2

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar thing:

I have never enjoyed holidays… whether it was as a kid, as a teenager, young adult or now with my own family. I’ve tried to explain it to people but no one really ever gets it. I get anxious and nervous and I just don’t want to be there, and want to go home straight away. I end up pretending to enjoy it but inside I’m counting the days and hours til I can go home. I realise writing thing makes me sound like a little kid, but I’m 38, married with two kids! Am I on my own with this, or is it something others have felt?

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I was just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar thing:

I have never enjoyed holidays… whether it was as a kid, as a teenager, young adult or now with my own family. I’ve tried to explain it to people but no one really ever gets it. I get anxious and nervous and I just don’t want to be there, and want to go home straight away. I end up pretending to enjoy it but inside I’m counting the days and hours til I can go home. I realise writing thing makes me sound like a little kid, but I’m 38, married with two kids! Am I on my own with this, or is it something others have felt?

Genuine question, have you ever considered that you might have a slight behaviour disorder? (Apologies if that's not the right term) I had very similar anxiety about any kind of trip away until I left the house if there was any aspect of it that was out of my control. It's taken over ten years to be diagnosed with anxiety based OCD and I didn't even know that was a thing but it all makes sense. If I'm travelling, on my terms, on my time, I'm fine. If I'm at the whim of someone else, I really really struggle, and it's about everything, even things that aren't related to the person organising. (Where's my passport, where's my suitcase, have I missed the flight) - When it was diagnosed, everything made sense, it's not pleasant but it's very manageable. And also, I can only imagine having a wife and two kids adds a lot more chaos to your situation.. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Genuine question, have you ever considered that you might have a slight behaviour disorder? (Apologies if that's not the right term) I had very similar anxiety about any kind of trip away until I left the house if there was any aspect of it that was out of my control. It's taken over ten years to be diagnosed with anxiety based OCD and I didn't even know that was a thing but it all makes sense. If I'm travelling, on my terms, on my time, I'm fine. If I'm at the whim of someone else, I really really struggle, and it's about everything, even things that aren't related to the person organising. (Where's my passport, where's my suitcase, have I missed the flight) - When it was diagnosed, everything made sense, it's not pleasant but it's very manageable. And also, I can only imagine having a wife and two kids adds a lot more chaos to your situation.. 

thanks for the reply dude, it’s something I have thought about, maybe I should look in to it more. Thank you.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

I always read this topic and I've never considered myself depressed or suffering with mental health. 

But my overwhelming question (and one I've never wanted to ask out loud) is: How do you know you're depressed or suffering with mental health issues?  What is it that makes you think "I need to see a Dr about this"? 

I understand this probably a very rude question, but I feel the need to ask it - apologies if anyone feels as though I'm making light of the situation, I promise I am not.

I suppose the reason I'm asking now is because there are a couple of people I know, who have been "fine" from the outside looking in, but have recently told me they are going through some difficult times and I often check in with them to make sure they are ok. 

Is there anything I can do to help, or is it very much "give them space, they probably don't want to be asked about it"? 

• Like 2

Â