players - best and worst business we have done

Jimzk5

Best -

Gareth Barry, cost £2.4million, 11 years service, 365 games, sold for £12million.

Nolberto Solano - £1million, scored a few goals before being sold back to Newcastle for £3million + Milner on loan for a season

Stewart downing - £11million, a year and half of good football before being sold for £20million to Liverpool, hasn't been the same since he left us and never looks like recapturing the form he had with us

Worst -

Gary Cahill - £5million to Bolton, absolute quality defender and it was obvious to everyone except the manager that he was going to be a top player. Sold for a snip

Jean II makoun - £5.7million, 6 games, 1 red card and a shit jumper later released on a free.

Peter crouch - £6million, made the jump too soon to the premier league, when he finally found his feet he was sold for just £2million to Southampton, followed by a £12million move to Liverpool, £11million to Portsmouth, £16million to spurs and £8million to stoke.

Edited by Jimzk5

Benteke has to be right up there, 7m for an absolute gem with scary potential. Will be at a top top club in a few years and we'll probably get 25m+ for him.

Worst well pretty much all of o'neill and mcleish signings.

N'zogbia, Reo Coker 10m a piece is terrible business we also got robbed with bent too but he kept us up so worth every penny in the end.

Agree with most of those, especially Solano and Cahill, and would add:

Dean Saunders - got a player at the top of his game who went on to be brilliant for us

Paul McGrath -  a huge risk on a player with dodgy knees and a liking for drink

Gareth Southgate - an average midfielder at Palace to an international class defender

John Carew - swapped the shite Baros for an absolute beast of a striker.

Worst - Marlon Harewood - £10m in transfer fees and wages, a waste of money of the very highest order.

Emile Heskey - a non scoring striker, again, just what was O'Neill thinking?

Curtis Davies - get this chump and Zat Knight and let Cahill go - brilliant.

Stephen Ireland is probably the worst from my time.

Contenders for best include those mentioned above such as Barry, Saunders, McGrath and Benteke. One who also deserves a mention is Guzan, a top keeper whod you would happily pay 10m for, before we re-signed him from ourselves on a free I think he only cost a couple of million.

Stephen Ireland is probably the worst from my time.

Contenders for best include those mentioned above such as Barry, Saunders, McGrath and Benteke. One who also deserves a mention is Guzan, a top keeper whod you would happily pay 10m for, before we re-signed him from ourselves on a free I think he only cost a couple of million.

Guzan - we were close to signing him in the January window of 2007 for £2million but he couldn't get a work permit, we signed him in the summer for £600k because his contract was up. Bargain Edited by Jimzk5

Best of the past 25 years:

David Platt - signed for a relative pittance, became an england international and then went for big money (at the time). Money was not reinvested wisely though.

Paul McGrath - proved the doubters horribly wrong, went on to become possibly the greatest Villa player I have seen.

Dwight Yorke - bought in for nothing, possibly one of the most talented and exciting attacers we've had. The £12.6m we got for him allowed us to bring in Paul Merson and Dion Dublin, who both more than enough justifed the money we spent on them.

Mark Delaney - signed for £350k, was a real gem for the money and quicly became a stalwart in the team (and to date the best rightback we've had in the last 20 years). It was a huge pity his career was ended early through injury.

Gareth Barry - for only £1m compensation, he turned out to be the most versatile and assured midfielder we've had in years. Its a pity he left how he did, but I'm sure history will be kinder on him - and he was sold for £12m.

Brad Guzan - best goalie we've had since Bozzie. Will probably go on to beat the guy in appearances too, unless he is snapped up by one of the big boys. He's improved so much!

Christian Benteke - for £7m he was an absolute steal. He looks the complete player and is in another world compared to some of the plodders in our team. Will go for £35m+ next summer. Lets hope the money is reinvested wisely. Its been a pleasure watching him destroy defenses single-handedly.

Leandro Bacuna - its still early days but he looks like a real gem for just £1m. This season's best signing so far.

Worst of the past 25 years:

Stan Collymore - a huge disappointment for what was a massive fee at the time. The move had all the right intentions but just didnt work out.

Bosko Balaban - not sure what happened there, he came with a promising reputation but you could tell he was way off the pace from the start.

Of course, MON has an entire section to himself:

Gary Cahill - future England international, dropped in favour of Zat Knight and Curtis Davies, then sold to Bolton for bugger all.

Habib Beye - past-it, poor quality cover, on a £40k a week contract.

Curtis Davies - mooted as a future England international, but turned out to be just an average defender. WBA took us to the cleaners with this one. £10m he cost!!!

Marlon Harewood - MON steamed in to beat the mighty Wigan for this below-average striker, £4m spent on possibly the clumsiest striker I have ever seen.

Emile Heskey - when we needed a Darren Bent to bang them in, we got a lumbering donkey on rollerskates. A total embarassment!

Post MON:

Stephen Ireland - Categorically the worst signing we've ever made.

Jean Makoun - Looked like he couldnt be arsed when Houllier was here, couldnt be even more arsed after Houllier left.

There are a few more I'd like to name but its making me angry!

Edited by R.I.C.O.
  • Like 2

Best of the past 25 years:

David Platt - signed for a relative pittance, became an england international and then went for big money (at the time). Money was not reinvested wisely though.

Would you really say that we didn't spend them wisely? We bought at least half a team for those money, and that team finished 7th and then 2nd the year after. I'd call it rather well spent money. As I don't remember what all the players cost at the time I can't say which we got for him, but the summer we sold him we bought:

Dalian Atkinson

Steve Staunton

Kevin Richardson

Shaun Teale

Ugo Ehiogu (I think it was that summer)

Cyrille Regis

Among others. Ok, you can add a few that never turned out that great, like Dariusz Kubicki and Paul Mortimer. But all in all I think it was rather good. Agree with the rest of your post, though.

Yes i was going to post the same thing. The money we got for Platt built a side which came 2nd in the league. Arguably the best team we have had since the 81 team

• Like 2

To narrow down to one for each choice,

Best business was Dwight Yorke, absolutely adored him and loved the story about how we came to aquire him; a proper rags to riches!

Worst business is tough because there's honestly been so many in my time it's hard to whittle it down but I'll plump for Stephen Ireland.  Supposedly knocked 8m off the Milner deal on what 60K a week?? I actually rated him but for the minutes he played that's just awful for the accounts.

Special mention to Curtis Davies and Gary Cahill.

Â