players - best and worst business we have done

Jimzk5

I agree with most of what's already been suggested

I'd add in John Carew as a great piece of business - swapping him for Milan Baros was a masterstroke

Way too many awful buys (esp in recent years) Beye, Agathe (I know he was a free), Shorey, Sidwell, Davies, Ireland, Hutton, Heskey, Warnock, Harewood - that's almost a full team!

Hutton, Beye, Davies, Warnock

Agathe.Sidwell.Ireland.Shorey

........Heskey.Harewood

:D

That team could give our present team a run for it's money.

Working from memory that shower cost us over £40million plus more in wages

In fairness to Sidwell, he's gone to have a very average and middling career at Fulham

And would probably get in our side now.

And was a permanent fixture in the side during our best run of form in a decade.

2 words: Djemba-Djemba

And yet the same manager signed Martin Laursen. I hope people bear this in mind before judging the current manager's signings based on his less successful ones.

DOL bought Bouma too.

DOL by all accounts wasn't too bad in the market. Sorensen and McCann for all their faults was great business at £4.5m for the pair. Laursen was £3m if I remember correctly. Solano £1.5m. Okay he had a few blips like Djemba-Djemba but given his budgets he did pretty well in my opinion.

MON was the complete bloody opposite. We can talk all we want about Milner, Downing and Young but for every one of them there was a Harewood, Davies or Reo-Coker. I'm still furious about the money he wasted. And it really boils my piss when another fan says "MON was great for you. You guys were so much better under him." They know nothing.

DOL by all accounts wasn't too bad in the market. Sorensen and McCann for all their faults was great business at £4.5m for the pair. Laursen was £3m if I remember correctly. Solano £1.5m. Okay he had a few blips like Djemba-Djemba but given his budgets he did pretty well in my opinion.

MON was the complete bloody opposite. We can talk all we want about Milner, Downing and Young but for every one of them there was a Harewood, Davies or Reo-Coker. I'm still furious about the money he wasted. And it really boils my piss when another fan says "MON was great for you. You guys were so much better under him." They know nothing.

But we actually were better and that's all they see.  Unfortunately some lacklustre signings and stubbornness prevented us from pushing on, but I can't deny they were good times while they lasted.  Obviously it's clear now that another year or two of that and we would have gone totally bust but fans of other clubs won't see that.

But we actually were better and that's all they see.  Unfortunately some lacklustre signings and stubbornness prevented us from pushing on, but I can't deny they were good times while they lasted.  Obviously it's clear now that another year or two of that and we would have gone totally bust but fans of other clubs won't see that.

I agree we were better, but other fans are VERY naive about how we achieved that 'success' and what the repercussions were. I wish we had Lambert sooner.

I guess all people see is where we were then and we we've been since without taking into account anything else.

It is annoying though that the general consensus among a lot of football fans seems to be that O'Neill did a magnificent job and that we were lucky to have him.

It is annoying though that the general consensus among a lot of football fans seems to be that O'Neill did a magnificent job and that we were lucky to have him.

Lucky to have him. Really? I've never got that impression. I know plenty of supporters of others clubs and if they'd been stupid enough to suggest that I'd simply point out that it was the opposite and that he was lucky to have managed us.

In fact O'Neill himself stated many times what an honor it was to manage such a great club right from when he joined, whist he was here and since he left.

Edited by markavfc40

Lucky to have him. Really? I've never got that impression. I know plenty of supporters of others clubs and if they'd been stupid enough to suggest that I'd simply point out that it was the opposite and that he was lucky to have managed us.

In fact O'Neill himself stated many times what an honor it was to manage such a great club right from when he joined, whist he was here and since he left.

That's the impression I got from some of the people I've spoken to. I never said O'Neill said that.

Â