Worst-

Given

Balaban

Ireland

Collymore

Curic

Davies

Makoun

Purely for money spent Curtis Davies for 10 million quid was an absolute stinker. Zat Knight gave you everything he had but he was a poor centre half. I always thought Jlloyd Samuel was worse than useless (even though we didnt sign him) I was shocked the amount of games he racked up for us. Stephen Ireland I strangely enough believe he has something but his attitude stinks and that was a horrible bit of business.

Mellberg, Laursen, Benteke, Yorke, McGrath, Barry were super bits of business.

Jlloyd Samuel had a cracking season the year we finished 6th under Dolly the Pignosed Numpty.

Kinsella was possibly the worst midfielder I've seen in a Villa shirt.  Taylor second time round signed some absolute stinkers, eg Kinsella, Leonhardsen, Bakke, UDLC, Boulding...

One of the best value for me for me was Alan Wright.  Got him for a song from Blackburn where he was always second choice behind Le Saux, and turned into one of our best left backs of the last 20 years.

• Like 2

Best-

Laursen

Barry

Yorke

Platt

Mellberg

Milner

Worst-

Given

Balaban

Ireland

Collymore

Curic

Davies

Makoun

Purely for money spent Curtis Davies for 10 million quid was an absolute stinker. Zat Knight gave you everything he had but he was a poor centre half. I always thought Jlloyd Samuel was worse than useless (even though we didnt sign him) I was shocked the amount of games he racked up for us. Stephen Ireland I strangely enough believe he has something but his attitude stinks and that was a horrible bit of business.

Jlloyd Samuel had a cracking season the year we finished 6th under Dolly the Pignosed Numpty.

am sure he even got an England call up at one stage. was garbage after that though. playing in Iran the last i heard :D

Gustavo Bartelt

Mark Kinsella

That Hungarian keeper?

Gabor Kiraly. The guy who played in pajamas.

Wouldn't say he was bad business.  He was an emergency loan deal as we had no keepers.  He conceded the famous Scholes volley didn't he.

Worst business for me was the whole Milner saga.

One week we were playing fantastic football, banging 3 in against West Ham, the next week we're getting spanked by Newcastle with a half arsed Stephen Ireland parading around the pitch. We went from top 6 contenders to relegation material in one fowl swoop.

Gustavo Bartelt

Mark Kinsella

That Hungarian keeper?

Gabor Kiraly. The guy who played in pajamas.

Wouldn't say he was bad business.  He was an emergency loan deal as we had no keepers.  He conceded the famous Scholes volley didn't he.

but the goal at Old Trafford in last minute of FA Cup was horrific. think was Solkjaer scored it

I love this sort of thread - great way to think back on good times and bad.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Peter Withe yet. Cost us £500k, which was a lot at the time and raised many eyebrows, but he was the final piece in the jigsaw and scored around 20 goals in his first season to help win us the league and the winning goal in the European Cup final next season.

You can't really ask much more than that. A master stroke from Mr Saunders, the greatest manager we've ever had. :)

stinkers ... Leonhardsen

He'll never be inducted into our hall of fame, but I think this fella gets more stick than he deserves. Scored a few goals in not many appearances and was signed on a free. In terms of 'business' he wasn't bad business at all.

I don't think you can include Benteke here yet. Let's see first what we get for him when we sell him. The price hasn't been set yet. We have some guestimates, but all we know is no-one was willing to pay what we wanted in the summer.

I don't disagree that he will be some of the best business, but it's not certain yet. He wasn't free, and for example a bad injury might happen any day.

I don't think you can include Benteke here yet. Let's see first what we get for him when we sell him. The price hasn't been set yet. We have some guestimates, but all we know is no-one was willing to pay what we wanted in the summer.

I don't disagree that he will be some of the best business, but it's not certain yet. He wasn't free, and for example a bad injury might happen any day.

Even if we were to break even on him he was good business for what he has given us. It's fair to say we'll more than break even on him.

Best-

Laursen

Barry

Yorke

Platt

Mellberg

Milner

Worst-

Given

Balaban

Ireland

Collymore

Curic

Davies

Makoun

am sure he even got an England call up at one stage. was garbage after that though. playing in Iran the last

Seems like an England call up screwed him up and it went to his head!

im sure this counts but picking up Guzan again on a free is deal of the century

Equally, if we hadn't picked him back up again and he'd gone to someone else and shone there we'd be looking at that as one of the worst deals for the club in recent history.

I don't think you can include Benteke here yet. Let's see first what we get for him when we sell him. The price hasn't been set yet. We have some guestimates, but all we know is no-one was willing to pay what we wanted in the summer.I don't disagree that he will be some of the best business, but it's not certain yet. He wasn't free, and for example a bad injury might happen any day.

Even if we were to break even on him he was good business for what he has given us. It's fair to say we'll more than break even on him.
Definitely, I'm not disputing that at all. But his real worth is still undecided until someone pays the big bucks. And when we're debating our best business all-time, a should be is not enough. Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 1

Â