players - best and worst business we have done

Jimzk5

Best of the past 25 years:

David Platt - signed for a relative pittance, became an england international and then went for big money (at the time). Money was not reinvested wisely though.

Would you really say that we didn't spend them wisely? We bought at least half a team for those money, and that team finished 7th and then 2nd the year after. I'd call it rather well spent money. As I don't remember what all the players cost at the time I can't say which we got for him, but the summer we sold him we bought:

Dalian Atkinson

Steve Staunton

Kevin Richardson

Shaun Teale

Ugo Ehiogu (I think it was that summer)

Cyrille Regis

Among others. Ok, you can add a few that never turned out that great, like Dariusz Kubicki and Paul Mortimer. But all in all I think it was rather good. Agree with the rest of your post, though.

Didn't some of those guys win a League Cup for us?

I think in terms of finance, the Jermaine Jenas loan deal was pretty poor.

Can we include managers in this? Paying 'them' for McLeish only to give him a massive payoff after him being sacked surely is the worst one of them all?

David Platt - signed for a relative pittance, became an england international and then went for big money (at the time). Money was not reinvested wisely though.

Would you really say that we didn't spend them wisely? We bought at least half a team for those money, and that team finished 7th and then 2nd the year after. I'd call it rather well spent money. As I don't remember what all the players cost at the time I can't say which we got for him, but the summer we sold him we bought:

Dalian Atkinson

Steve Staunton

Kevin Richardson

Shaun Teale

Cyrille Regis

Among others. Ok, you can add a few that never turned out that great, like Dariusz Kubicki and Paul Mortimer. But all in all I think it was rather good. Agree with the rest of your post, though.

Ok, I stand corrected! Weren't all these players signed by a certain Dr Venglos too? Not so much of a mangerial dsaster in the end, after all.

Edited by R.I.C.O.

Dalian Atkinson

Steve Staunton

Kevin Richardson

Shaun Teale

Cyrille Regis

Ok, I stand corrected! Weren't all these players signed by a certain Dr Venglos too? Not so much of a mangerial dsaster in the end, after all.

No, they were signed by BFR in his first summer after Venglos had left. Venglos bought Penrice... :-P

ivo stas & bosko balaban were shocking signings

I don't think you can put Stas in this category...he might have been great but we never found out as he got a career ending injury

Good

Ugo Ehiogu - 40k from West Brom - for the win.

Dwight 'traitor' Yorke - was he 10k from some beach football team?

Paul Merson - I thought he was over the hill when he came to Villa, but soon proved me wrong. We've missed him since.

Bad

Stephen Ireland

Bosko Taliban (sic)

Gary Penrice

Edited by Raver50032

Martin Laursen 3 million from AC Milan for a genuinely top class player

as for worst well you could name a full 20 man squad form last 5 years though NRC, Beye, Heskey and Ireland be mainstays of that team

John Fashanu anyone? Being able to shout AWOONGA very loudly does not make you neccessarily a great footballer. I was 12 at the time and even then I knew it was a baffling signing. The begining of the end of BFR.

He was big mates with Ron Atkinson, and wanted to be near Brum so he could work on Gladiators (filmed at the NIA).  He really was just about the worst signing ever (cracking goal against Forest apart!)

There's also this player we bought for ~20-24 mil and then struggled to sell for 10 times less, so we've had to loan him out. Lerner must be pleased. No wonder he's cut the 'let's-spend-a-shit-load-on-a-player-in-hope-he'd-save-us' pot.

Some would argue that without his goals we would have been relegated which was worth a lot more money to us than the transfer fee.  Plus he was banging them in under Houllier so in my view it's Lerner's fault that we didn't get the most value for money from him anyway by appointing McCleish where goal scoring opportunities were always going to be minimal.

John Fashanu anyone? Being able to shout AWOONGA very loudly does not make you neccessarily a great footballer. I was 12 at the time and even then I knew it was a baffling signing. The begining of the end of BFR.

He was big mates with Ron Atkinson, and wanted to be near Brum so he could work on Gladiators (filmed at the NIA).  He really was just about the worst signing ever (cracking goal against Forest apart!)

I wouldn't rate him as our worst ever signing but he was never a Villa type player.  Merson was bought with the Yorke money wasn't he. Good player for Villa but no sell on fee. Having looked at all the ones in this thread.

Best Business!

1. Yorke

2. Platt

3. Andy Gray. 110k from Dundee United, brilliant player for us then sold on for a massive fee to Wolves

4. Paul Mcgrath - got him cheap and regarded by many as Villas best ever player.

Â