Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

The thing is if lerner decides to be more ambitious we now have pretty much an entire squad that needs to be replaced.

Hmmm I disagree... I think if we were to buy 2 or 3 quality players in the summer we'd be comfortably mid-table. Then the summer after that bring in 2 or 3 more quality players and make a push for 8th.

But I don't see Lerner allowing that.

Lambert wouldn't buy 3 quality players. He would rather buy 10 shit ones for the same price

Don't be silly. I'm sure he'd much rather spend the money on better players but the money isn't there.

Imagine if he had have bought 2 quality 10m players instead of all the players he did. We'd have absolutely no squad depth at all. We'd be struggling more than we are now. 

You have to remember we're still paying for Hutton, Ireland, N'zogbia, Given and Bent (when he gets back from Fulham). When these players are gone will he be able to replace them with better ones? I hope so. 

The books are balanced whilst paying for all these. So when they're gone, we should be able to bring in better players who Lambert wants.

Edited by PieFacE

The thing is if lerner decides to be more ambitious we now have pretty much an entire squad that needs to be replaced.

Hmmm I disagree... I think if we were to buy 2 or 3 quality players in the summer we'd be comfortably mid-table. Then the summer after that bring in 2 or 3 more quality players and make a push for 8th.

Lambert wouldn't buy 3 quality players. He would rather buy 10 shit ones for the same price

Do you really believe that? name me 3 quality players you would sign that will accept 15k per week

Imo I believe he can offer higher wages but chooses not to. Kind of like having a ready made excuse

yeah a manager that starts his job with a ready made excuse for when it goes wrong. Doesn't even entertain the idea of signing quality and trying to improve the team. so you think its all down to the evil Paul Lambert?  lmao

Don't be silly. I'm sure he'd much rather spend the money on better players but the money isn't there.

Imagine if he had have bought 2 quality 10m players instead of all the players he did. We'd have absolutely no squad depth at all. We'd be struggling more than we are now.

You have to remember we're still paying for Hutton, Ireland, N'zogbia, Given and Bent (when he gets back from Fulham). When these players are gone will he be able to replace them with better ones? I hope so.

With this new tv deal and the club getting rid of so many players money must be there.

I mean it's 70mill to finish bottom. There is no way the club has no money.

With this new tv deal and the club getting rid of so many players money must be there.

I mean it's 70mill to finish bottom. There is no way the club has no money.

I don't know how the new TV deal works, but I think I read somewhere that we haven't even had that money yet?

With getting rid of so many players the books are balanced. We still have many more to get rid of. I imagine there will be money to spend when they go. 

People keep talking about this tv deal, all the other clubs who are already spending more than us will get this increase aswell. Why do people think lerner will allocate this extra funding to the manager? He has shown that he wants the club ran on peanuts.

Edited by av1

I agree to a certain extent but It's also true to say that when working with the budget he has been that your team is going to be inconsistent. When things start going bad it's hard to get stop the rot when alot of our players are young and/or sub-standard.  One thing Lambert proved last year is that he is capable of turning it round after a bad run so on that basis I'm hopeful he can do it again but my god how 2 or 3 proven players in January would make it a bit easier for him.

Which manager doesn't want better players? The problem is with the money he has been given he hasn't done well with.

he has spent feck all in comparisons to other teams on players or wages

Agreed but some of his signings like tonev and NH are clearly not up to it when it was obvious we lacked creativity. I don't think anyone on these board's would disagree that the backing from Lerner has been poor, many however question if he has spent the money he has had wisely, and if he is getting the best out of the squad he has assembled.

Many would argue that he hasn't.

I don't see Lerner stumping up the major funds needed in fees and wages to improve upon the overall poor squad we have assembled. We were in deep shit 2 years ago and he didn't stump up the cash, we were in deep shit last year and he didn't. I have seen nothing to suggest a change in philosophy.

One thing is for certain though. Regardless of who the manager is without major investment in January we will again go into the last few games in with a very good shout of being relegated.

Edited by markavfc40

What a frightening thought, if Lambert has identified targets. 

Where are they Scunthorpe reserves?  Luton Town U21s? 

He's surrounded by dross, he'll continue to surround himself with dross.

The best bit of "transfer speculation" in January will be of the managerial variety.

• Like 1

The books are balanced whilst paying for all these. So when they're gone, we should be able to bring in better players who Lambert wants.[/quote

...and which one of the above 5 couldn't get into our current team ?...... If selected of course ?

The books are balanced whilst paying for all these. So when they're gone, we should be able to bring in better players who Lambert wants.[/quote

...and which one of the above 5 couldn't get into our current team ?...... If selected of course ?

Bryan Ruiz, Giaccherini, de guzman seeing as Swansea only have him on loan, some achievable creative players.

Plus an experienced cb, Moisander, Hangalaand,john o shea/wes Brown

If not - for god sake Lambert promote some youth players.

Like an academy CB instead of Herd...

I actually don't. Guzan is better than Given. Hutton is awful and no way better than Lowton. I love Bent but unless it's put on a plate in the box he won't score, if it's on a plate then there is no better player to score than him but because we aren't creating chances he's just a waste of a body on the field. Ireland has been useless at Villa and never delivered anything despite his talent, he's just a lazy sod. N'Zogbia is the only one possibly, and I keep thinking he could and then he disappoints but I'm still willing to give him a go because he has the talent and tries but he's not a given at all, we are just desparate.

Â