BT to have exclusive CL rights from 2015

Nabby

ive read somewhere BT are saying "selected matches" will be free to air, whether or not that is just the final and semi final im not sure

A way of enticing fans to subscribe I guess.

I'm a Sky Sports subscriber and I do enjoy their coverage, BT Sports was utter crap when I watched it in the free month.

Wonder how much BT Sports will be charging from 2015?

ive read somewhere BT are saying "selected matches" will be free to air, whether or not that is just the final and semi final im not sure

Humprhey has tweeted that the final and semi finals of both along with matches invloving British teams will be shown at least 1 for free.

£15 a month for BT HD at the moment isn't it?

It will go up to around £40 a month, which really isn't worth it. Sky and the BBC have all domestic football covered along with cricket along with other sports. Paying a stupid amount to watch 1 live Premier League game a week, plus Champions League every 2 weeks isn't worth it at all.

£15 a month for BT HD at the moment isn't it?

It will go up to around £40 a month, which really isn't worth it. Sky and the BBC have all domestic football covered along with cricket along with other sports. Paying a stupid amount to watch 1 live Premier League game a week, plus Champions League every 2 weeks isn't worth it at all.

They won't be able to justify £40 a month so it won't cost that much. 

I think it is good that sky finally have some actual competition. The standard of punditry on Sky has already stepped up in the last 12 months with BT coming along. 

I was pleased when Virgin secured free BT with the XL package, not just because of football but other sports too which they had secured exclusive rights that I wouldn't have been able to see otherwise, but this new deal surely means that that agreement will no longer be workable.

I can imagine that many plastic Manure/Chelski/Arse/Ci£y fans will be throwing themselves off tall buildings now.

as I hate Sky im really happy about this news and fact I dont have BT Sport makes it even better as if a good game on ill just have an excuse to go the pub  ;)

though I think coverage in Ireland will stay the same

so if the winners now get somewhere between £80-100m in prize money, and the group stage teams get around £40m, based on a tv deal with sky/ITV that was £400m, what does a £1bn tv deal do to the prize money?

You overestimate the prize money slightly. For 2012/13 (group stage only)

Man Utd: 28.55m Euro for appearing in the group stage, plus 4m for group stage performance (1m per win, 500k per draw) for EUR32.55m

Chelsea: 27.28m Euro for appearing, plus 3.5m for performance for a total of EUR30.78m

Man City: 27.28m Euro for appearing, plus 1.5m for performance for a total of EUR28.78m

Arsenal: 24.42m Euro appearance, 3.5m performance for a total of EUR27.92m

Celtic: 16.67m Euro appearance, 3.5m performance for a total of EUR20.17m

Most of the BT money will go into that appearance fee, depending on how much the rights increase in value elsewhere. I'd probably double the figures. Of course, the interesting question is if, since a Welsh team making it to the group stage would get only a bit below what Celtic would get (which means probably on the order of what Man Utd get now) a relegated Cardiff realize that they could probably make the CL on Championship-level wages if they decided to go back to being a Welsh club (and they'd have a better than 50% chance if they went that route of getting another British club in the draw).

If BT can even the Premier League rights out or even get a majority, I won't be staying with Sky any longer. Sky are not having a good time of it at the moment, they're losing rights, gaining rights to F1 which is at it's worst/boring point for a long time, BT Sport currently being free everywhere except Sky.

The only thing I would miss if that happened would be the Cricket.

so if the winners now get somewhere between £80-100m in prize money, and the group stage teams get around £40m, based on a tv deal with sky/ITV that was £400m, what does a £1bn tv deal do to the prize money?

You overestimate the prize money slightly. For 2012/13 (group stage only)

Man Utd: 28.55m Euro for appearing in the group stage, plus 4m for group stage performance (1m per win, 500k per draw) for EUR32.55m

Chelsea: 27.28m Euro for appearing, plus 3.5m for performance for a total of EUR30.78m

Man City: 27.28m Euro for appearing, plus 1.5m for performance for a total of EUR28.78m

Arsenal: 24.42m Euro appearance, 3.5m performance for a total of EUR27.92m

Celtic: 16.67m Euro appearance, 3.5m performance for a total of EUR20.17m

Most of the BT money will go into that appearance fee, depending on how much the rights increase in value elsewhere. I'd probably double the figures. Of course, the interesting question is if, since a Welsh team making it to the group stage would get only a bit below what Celtic would get (which means probably on the order of what Man Utd get now) a relegated Cardiff realize that they could probably make the CL on Championship-level wages if they decided to go back to being a Welsh club (and they'd have a better than 50% chance if they went that route of getting another British club in the draw).

Your posts are awesome

BT will presumably pick more PL games not involving the CL clubs, since they're already forcing the CL clubs' fans to subscribe...

Interesting point. I think they would still want big PL games though so people consider only getting BT and watching Sky down the pub if needs be.

I can see BT Sport going the way of ITV Sport, Setanta etc. A Hell lot of money to pay to show a competition that only 4 or 5 British clubs play in. I'd not pay to watch the Champions League, if my club weren't in it (not bloody likely any time soon mind!). Especially when you can watch most games on a dodgy stream these days. 

I can see BT Sport going the way of ITV Sport, Setanta etc. A Hell lot of money to pay to show a competition that only 4 or 5 British clubs play in. I'd not pay to watch the Champions League, if my club weren't in it (not bloody likely any time soon mind!). Especially when you can watch most games on a dodgy stream these days. 

BT have a LOT more riding on this than ESPN did and much deeper pockets than Setanta. 

BT's business was going backwards because they had tied up so much of their revenue in land line phone line rental but with mobile phones and cable tv they were becoming irrelevant.

They needed BT Sport to have a reason for people to get BT in their homes again and they have massive resources to make sure it works, hence the record Premier League deal last year and now record champions league deal. Once the next Premier League rights auction comes up they will try and take the majority of matches, leaving Sky with very little football worth watching.    

Â