BT to have exclusive CL rights from 2015

Nabby

I do think football is going to suffer an almighty crash in the next 10-20 years, the increasing amount of money being thrown around is unsustainable IMO and I do think people are slowly getting sick or being bled dry all the time to watch it. I know plenty of people who are cancelling their sky sports subscriptions and are signing upto dodgy streaming sites which actually broadcast in better quality than the sky apps !

Agree. Whilst BT and Sky wave their choppers at each other and try to bid the most, I don't think they've stopped to think about the challenges they face. The main one/s being that broadband speeds are getting faster, TVs are getting bigger and better, and steaming sites are becoming more reliable. More and more people will start to realise that they can plug their laptop into the TV and watch games for free on a stream; it'll be a snowball effect.

What will they do then? Get the sites closed down only to see them pop up under another guise elsewhere?

I struggle to see why people actually give a shit about a bloated, and largely boring competition like the Champions League.

Yeah, watching the best teams in Europe play each other is just horrendous  :rolleyes:

The vast majority of the 'group stages' are boring and predictable, full of teams that aren't champions nor anywhere near the best in Europe. Like I said, it's just a bloated excuse for a competition nowadays. 

I struggle to see why people actually give a shit about a bloated, and largely boring competition like the Champions League.

Yeah, watching the best teams in Europe play each other is just horrendous  :rolleyes:

The vast majority of the 'group stages' are boring and predictable, full of teams that aren't champions nor anywhere near the best in Europe. Like I said, it's just a bloated excuse for a competition nowadays. 

You might not have been bothered about watching say, non-Champions Arsenal play against non-Champions Borussia Dortmund, and that's absolutely fine.

But would you have been any more likely to tune in for say, Levadia Tallin against Slovan Bratislava? Both Champions last year. Would that game have made the group stages any less boring for you? HJK Helsinki against Sheriff Tiraspol? FC Aktobe against KR Reykjavik?

I can fully understand why somebody wouldn't really care about watching Champions League football, but the "it would be better if it were only Champions" argument is a bit daft in my opinion.

• Like 3

and?

instead we get one competition that's 90% the same teams every year with at least a couple of dead rubbers and at best 2/3 interesting groups out of 8 and one competition that features top teams reserves and utter dross from eastern europe

UEFA don't understand the word balance, and that includes the impact of the champions league on domestic leagues, its killed most of them, especially ours (despite martin tylers best efforts to convince me otherwise)

you'd have to lose seeding to make sure that it wasn't the biggest 4 teams left in the semis

but that wouldn't generate enough cash  excitement

I find it amazing that people think the champions league is anything other than a huge cash cow for UEFA and friends and worse as villa fans manage to find anything positive about it, its **** killed us

It makes so much money for UEFA because it is so popular the way it is.

They would be daft to change it to a less popular format, which makes less money, because of some disgruntled Aston Villa fans on the internet.

dont know. the same fans are powerful enoguh to stop Steve McLaren getting Villa job apparently ;)

If it were only champions then no one would watch until the semi final and final when the champions of the 4 big leagues play each other.

It would be a crap competition.

I would say that the current competition is only interesting from the semi-final stage onwards. 

If it were only champions then no one would watch until the semi final and final when the champions of the 4 big leagues play each other.

I would say that the current competition is only interesting from the semi-final stage onwards.

Na, there is always at least one interesting group to watch before the knock out games start. This year Arsenal's group has been the one to watch.

A champions league with only champions would make it less interesting rather than more.

• Like 1

Na, there is always at least one interesting group to watch before the knock out games start. This year Arsenal's group has been the one to watch.

A champions league with only champions would make it less interesting rather than more.

There'd be no Dortmund this year for example.

Dortmund, arsenal, Madrid would all be in the Europa league, you'd get to watch them every other still...

European football needs to shift this mentality of the champions league being the be all and end all

its easy to say "but the Europa league is shit" but if those teams were playing in it then the mentality would soon start to shift

its easy to say "if its not broke then don't fix it" but if you don't see the champions league or its impact on the domestic leagues as being broke then there's no hope for you

Â