BT to have exclusive CL rights from 2015

Nabby

£900 mil paid by BT 

Sky offered £500 mil...

Seem's they overpaid to me.

Seem's to me a headline move to get subscribers but if this deal is 900mil what will the next one be ? For me the consumer just means I have to spend more 

especially as I can't have BT broadband as I don't live in a location with fibre connected.

This is bad news for fans and mainly clubs who aren't in the CL. People aren't going to pay for both Sky and BT.

With the internet as it is now it is very easy to get a HD stream for free to watch games and that is what I will do for the CL games after this kicks in.

Well, you can't really consider it an own goal by UEFA - they just go with the highest bidder. They don't give a stuff who it is and whether it's free to air.

I only watch Arsenal in the Champions League anyway, but only by default of where I call home now and the fact that they're the only English team in that competition I wish well for anyway. Once it goes to pay TV, I really won't care anymore.

Well, you can't really consider it an own goal by UEFA - they just go with the highest bidder. 

It could be considered short termism.  Just look at what happened to boxing when it was all but removed from terrestrial television, top boxers went from being some of the most famous people in the country to barely recognisable. I don't think football will fall that far, but it's profile will certainly suffer and who knows what that will mean in five or ten years? 

This is bad news for fans and mainly clubs who aren't in the CL. People aren't going to pay for both Sky and BT.

With the internet as it is now it is very easy to get a HD stream for free to watch games and that is what I will do for the CL games after this kicks in.

If I could sort out a decent middle east based VPN I would be sorted.

I herd the BT boss saying this will make it nore affordable than Sky I'm interested to see how that will work out.Give it to BT they have gone balls deep into this and they do have a lot of Football now but I wonder how the will recoup the money paid and will they have infrastructure to show CL they way Sky currently do ? 

If I could sort out a decent middle east based VPN I would be sorted.

I herd the BT boss saying this will make it nore affordable than Sky I'm interested to see how that will work out.Give it to BT they have gone balls deep into this and they do have a lot of Football now but I wonder how the will recoup the money paid and will they have infrastructure to show CL they way Sky currently do ? 

You've missed the point. This isn't about recouping money or making more. Its an investment to protect profits at there current levels. Its to stop BT customers defecting to Sky/Virgin for their phone/internet services. BTs turnover is absolutely huge. Its sometimes like 3 times that of BSkyB. If BT really wanted to squash Sky they could...they'll have no quarms over losing a few hundred million quid with BTSport is they protect their multi-billion £ turnover on phone/broadband services. 

I too quite enjoyed watching a bit of CL footy on a Tuesday night. I'd buy the OH a couple of girly magazines (not that type) and she'd be happy for a couple of hours whilst I had a couple of beers with the football.

This is just bonkers.

I'd love football fans to get together and bring this crashing down by cancelling all of their Sky and BT subscriptions for say 6 months. Would make everybody involved think twice about what they are doing. Just like matchday ticket prixing, fans have the power... they/we just don't do anything about it.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

I do think football is going to suffer an almighty crash in the next 10-20 years, the increasing amount of money being thrown around is unsustainable IMO and I do think people are slowly getting sick or being bled dry all the time to watch it. I know plenty of people who are cancelling their sky sports subscriptions and are signing upto dodgy streaming sites which actually broadcast in better quality than the sky apps !

Â