Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

I'd go Guzan Bacuna vlaar Clark Luna Kea Sylla Delph Andi CB gab And hope for a better performance than we saw in such a poor second half today. Need Bacuna to keep Baines quiet.

Edited by chappy

everton are a very stubborn team, just cant see us winning and I would of said that even if we won today, draw for me purely because I think we will but in a better performance than today, if lukaku plays like he can then we could lose, thank god we have the beast back

Providing no injuries, I suspect we will line up...

-----------------------Howard-----------------

---Coleman--Jagielka----Distin---Baines----

---------------Barry-------McCarthy------------

------Mirallas------Barkley------Pienaar------

----------------------Lukaku----------------------

Osman could play though as Pienaar is just coming back from injury.

That XI leaves a bench from this lot: Robles, Osman, Heitinga, Jelavic, Oviedo, Kone, Deulofeu, Naismith, and Stones.

Will be a tough game, and interesting, as always. Looking forward to coming back to VP, one of the best away days in the Premier League by far.

4-2-3-1: Guzan, Bacuna, Vlaar, Clark, Luna, Sylla, KEA, Delph, Gabby, Tonev and Benteke.

Westwood has to be dropped, even though I don't want to see KEA take his place  :( Delph playing in the much-needed number 10 type roll.

Everton with a front midfield 4 of Mirallas, Barkley, Pienaar and Lukaku IMO are going have a fun day against us, 2-1 Everton.

Edited by Avflife

Providing no injuries, I suspect we will line up...

-----------------------Howard-----------------

---Coleman--Jagielka----Distin---Baines----

---------------Barry-------McCarthy------------

------Mirallas------Barkley------Pienaar------

----------------------Lukaku----------------------

Osman could play though as Pienaar is just coming back from injury.

That XI leaves a bench from this lot: Robles, Osman, Heitinga, Jelavic, Oviedo, Kone, Deulofeu, Naismith, and Stones.

Will be a tough game, and interesting, as always. Looking forward to coming back to VP, one of the best away days in the Premier League by far.

I look at that Everton team with envy when you consider the players we did have.

Comfortable win for Everton 3-1.

This will come back to bite me on the arse, but...

Are Everton really good enough to warrant us switching to 532 at home?

It's a pretty negative formation that we employed against Man City in order to contain them and hit them on the counter. But on a good day, we should atleast be capable of taking the game to Everton. Plus they only play 1 upfront, which means their supporting players would get the freedom of Villa Park to tap the ball around (just like Chelsea away last season).

I would stick to 433 personally. I suspect Westwood will get another crack of the whip before getting dropped and Weimann's industry could come in handy against Baines. I wouldn't be surprised to see us lining up unchanged for this one. Perhaps Sylla will come in for KEA, but I wouldn't put money on it.

It's a pretty negative formation that we employed against Man City in order to contain them and hit them on the counter. But on a good day, we should atleast be capable of taking the game to Everton. Plus they only play 1 upfront, which means their supporting players would get the freedom of Villa Park to tap the ball around (just like Chelsea away last season).

We've only used 5-3-2 once at home this season and it co-incided with our only home points this season. Remember that the other defeats using 4-3-3 included a game against Newcastle; a side I would argue are poorer than Everton. Plus Everton's game under Martinez is a possession-based game similar to that of the top sides we've faced (not to mention they've started quite well with it).

With all of the above taken into account and with us clearly needing to do something to arrest our home form, IMO I think it would be sensible to start off with 5-3-2 and see if the Citeh game was a fluke or whether that formation has something.

• Like 2

We've only used 5-3-2 once at home this season and it co-incided with our only home points this season. Remember that the other defeats using 4-3-3 included a game against Newcastle; a side I would argue are poorer than Everton. Plus Everton's game under Martinez is a possession-based game similar to that of the top sides we've faced (not to mention they've started quite well with it).

With all of the above taken into account and with us clearly needing to do something to arrest our home form, IMO I think it would be sensible to start off with 5-3-2 and see if the Citeh game was a fluke or whether that formation has something.

Hmmm, it's difficult to argue with that, though that doesn't mean I won't try.

I remain quite sceptical of the 532 formation, it just seems to invite pressure on the defense, and I'm not sure if it's called upon for a team of Everton's ability. They're a good side, but our victory against Man City came with a big slice of luck, something we shouldn't look to rely on against a team of Everton's ability. That said, 433 isn't working at home, and it hasn't done for some time either. It certainly didn't work against Tottenham, a team which can atleast be compared to Everton in terms of ability.

Perhaps 532 might be the way forward, but I think it would be showing too much respect to Everton, particularly at home.

Personally, I'd go for a change of personnel and 451. Get some width into the team, perhaps with Bacuna taking Weimann's role and Lowton coming in at right back. I don't see many other avenues to attack within the team at the moment unfortunately.

Hmmm, it's difficult to argue with that, though that doesn't mean I won't try.

I'd be disappointed if you gave in :P

I remain quite sceptical of the 532 formation, it just seems to invite pressure on the defense, and I'm not sure if it's called upon for a team of Everton's ability. They're a good side, but our victory against Man City came with a big slice of luck, something we shouldn't look to rely on against a team of Everton's ability. That said, 433 isn't working at home, and it hasn't done for some time either. It certainly didn't work against Tottenham, a team which can atleast be compared to Everton in terms of ability.

I agree with being sceptical which is why I didn't go as far as saying 5-3-2 would definitely work. We just know that 4-3-3 currently isn't working and that because 5-3-2 has worked once (and has a 100% record) against a similarly set up side, we should at least see if it'll work again out of curiosity and maybe a bit out of necessity. As I said, I also think Everton's shape lends itself to a 5-3-2 setup. 5-3-2 gives us effectively 5 midfielders depending on how you include the wingbacks in the formation and Everton pack their midfield. That's largely why it was successful for us against Citeh I believe. Now you say there was a large slice of luck in that win and you might be right, but that's a matter of opinion that I don't subscribe to. Because their possession was largely far from our goal and their goals were scored from corner kicks, plus Guzan was not over-worked on the day at all (7 on target in total IIRC) and that's with Citeh's list of glittering stars on display. If we can keep Citeh largely at bay in open play then we can keep Everton at bay. We just need to be luckier (or better) on set pieces and we mightn't need to score 3.