Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

I'd like us to try 5-3-2. It looked so much better with Luna and Bacuna as the wing backs rather than Bennett and Lowton.

For this game i'd play

--------Clark - Vlaar - Baker

Bacuna ------------------------Luna

--------- Delph -- Westwood 

-----------------Tonev

---------Gabby ---Benteke

I'd go

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Clark Luna

Delph Westwood

Bacuna Agbonlahor Tonev

Benteke

Reasoning: I'd double up with two more defensive minded players on the right side to combat Baines. Plus, I think that Bacuna and Lowton can both break forward when they need to and have shown the ability to put in good crosses. You could make an argument for KEA or Sylla instead of Westwood, but I think for once, we're coming up against a midfield that isn't so physically imposing. There's no Paulinho or Yaya or Sissoko to boss us around and we can get away with something a little more lightweight. Tonev instead of Weimann because the latter just needs a temporary drop for form. I think Gabby excelled with his free role up the middle against Norwich and allows him the ability to run unmarked instead of trying to beat his man down the wing. It gives him the ability to run at a few different defenders instead of just one. Plus, he does enough work tracking back to be that extra man in the midfield.

But I think PL will come out like this again.

Guzan

Bacuna Vlaar Clark Luna

KEA Westwood Delph

Weimann Benteke Gabby

It all depends how we play the 3-5-2. If we play it rigidly, then it will just be another game of ball watching. However if we play it with a bit of fluidity it can work.

I'd have Baker tight on Lukaku with Clark and Vlaar marking zonally. Both Vlaar and Clark are intelligent enough to do this and they should be able to cope with the runs inside by Everton's wider players as well as any runs from midfield. Sylla to try an neutralise Barkley who plays as their most advanced midfielder and is also quite a physical player. Delph and KEA ahead of him pressing as they usually do. Preferably operating as a double-pivot when we are on the offensive. I'd go for Gabby as the second striker as his pace will enable speedy counters. With Everton playing a more narrow formation, the wing-backs should be able to get forward more and provide the width.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

No number of formations are going to change the fact that we need to start being braver with the ball instead of playing the safe options and playing it back.

The 5-3-2 will stifle us and is not the way to go. It is PL overchecking one way to try and prevent any defensive failures.

Hmmm, it's difficult to argue with that, though that doesn't mean I won't try.

I'd be disappointed if you gave in :P

I remain quite sceptical of the 532 formation, it just seems to invite pressure on the defense, and I'm not sure if it's called upon for a team of Everton's ability. They're a good side, but our victory against Man City came with a big slice of luck, something we shouldn't look to rely on against a team of Everton's ability. That said, 433 isn't working at home, and it hasn't done for some time either. It certainly didn't work against Tottenham, a team which can atleast be compared to Everton in terms of ability.

I agree with being sceptical which is why I didn't go as far as saying 5-3-2 would definitely work. We just know that 4-3-3 currently isn't working and that because 5-3-2 has worked once (and has a 100% record) against a similarly set up side, we should at least see if it'll work again out of curiosity and maybe a bit out of necessity. As I said, I also think Everton's shape lends itself to a 5-3-2 setup. 5-3-2 gives us effectively 5 midfielders depending on how you include the wingbacks in the formation and Everton pack their midfield. That's largely why it was successful for us against Citeh I believe. Now you say there was a large slice of luck in that win and you might be right, but that's a matter of opinion that I don't subscribe to. Because their possession was largely far from our goal and their goals were scored from corner kicks, plus Guzan was not over-worked on the day at all (7 on target in total IIRC) and that's with Citeh's list of glittering stars on display. If we can keep Citeh largely at bay in open play then we can keep Everton at bay. We just need to be luckier (or better) on set pieces and we mightn't need to score 3.

Perhaps large slice of luck was unfair on the team that beat Man City. But the result was more akin to an FA cup third round giant killing then it was to a solid premiership triumph. You'd do well to argue that we were the better side, though you could certainly argue that hard work and astute tactics won the day, rather than luck.

This may be where we differ, but I don't think we should line up like Cheltenham Town would if they were playing away to Chelsea. It gives Everton too much respect, and flies in the face of my belief that we can atleast compete with Everton on our own turf. That may be a bit optimistic, but it's the sentiment as much as anything. 

That said, something needs to change. We can't create chances at Villa Park with 433 and, as you say, we have a 100% record with 532 at home this year. I wouldn't want to put money on Lambert's selection for this one, that's for sure.

-------------------------Guzan------------------------------

Bacuna----------Vlaar--------Clark------------Luna-----

-------------------Sylla-----------Delph----------------------

Weimann--------------Tonev---------------------Gabby

---------------------------The Beast-------------------------

God i miss Zog, when is he back?

• Like 1

Guzan ..

Bacuna .. Vlaar .. Clark .. Luna ..

Sylla .. Delph .. KEA .. 

Tonev .. Benteke .. Gabby .. 

Sylla and KEA to press and give us more defensivly .. And give Delph more chance to go forward with the front 3 + Gives Bacuna the chance to get ufront too .

It all depends how we play the 3-5-2. If we play it rigidly, then it will just be another game of ball watching. However if we play it with a bit of fluidity it can work.

I'd have Baker tight on Lukaku with Clark and Vlaar marking zonally. Both Vlaar and Clark are intelligent enough to do this and they should be able to cope with the runs inside by Everton's wider players as well as any runs from midfield. Sylla to try an neutralise Barkley who plays as their most advanced midfielder and is also quite a physical player. Delph and KEA ahead of him pressing as they usually do. Preferably operating as a double-pivot when we are on the offensive. I'd go for Gabby as the second striker as his pace will enable speedy counters. With Everton playing a more narrow formation, the wing-backs should be able to get forward more and provide the width.

personally i'd prefer Weimann as the second striker because his less static. He'll feed off the Benteke flicks ons better than Agbonlahor.

Gonna be a tough match, can see it go both ways. Hope Clark is back. Baines, Barkley and Lukaku will be their biggest threat. Distin is in good form, while jagielka is out of form. Everton has looked better than expected, but there is certainly a chance there. Just hope there isn`t one of those matches where several of our players are out of form like it has been lately.

Sylla inn, possibly Tonev if he is improving in training. Looked positive last time, but he might be better used as "super" sub. Weimann has been very poor lately so there should be something there.

Annoyingly, Barry should be suspended after his

Sickening challenge last week (2nd one), but isn't.

Not sure about the 3-5-2 for this one as they play one up front it would mean two redundant CBs.

Id play 4-2-3-1

Guzan

Bacuna vlaar clark luna

Sylla delph

Weimann tonev gabby

Benteke

Guzan

Bacuna Vlaar Baker Luna

KEA Delph

Lowton Helenius Agbonlahor

Benteke

Weimann needs to be dropped. For me Bacuna looks more defensively solid than Lowton but we miss Lowton's creativity and he should be in the team.

Weimann in my opinion offers very little at RM and hard work alone isn't enough. We need someone who can make things happen. Especially at home where we can't rely on counter attacking.

Which is why i'd also give Helenius a start. His best position is meant to be off the front man. He looks a clever, creative player and could link up well with Benteke. It's worth a try. Playing Westwood, Delph and KEA together doesn't offer enough going forward.

I don't know if Clark's fit or not but i'd play Baker as we need his presence against Lukaku and for me he's a better defender than Clark despite Clark's recent form.

-------------------------Guzan------------------------------

Lowton----------Vlaar--------Clark------------Luna-----

-------------------Sylla-----------Delph----------------------

Bacuna---------------Weimann-------------------Gabby

---------------------------The Beast-------------------------

personally i'd prefer Weimann as the second striker because his less static. He'll feed off the Benteke flicks ons better than Agbonlahor.

Possibly but given how poorly he is playing I'd bench him.

You'll definitely have opportunities. Centre backs and goalkeeper are still a bit uncomfortable with the new style and are still adapting (though they are getting better). Don't fall into the trap of concentrating just on Baines providing the width from full back though. Coleman has come on absolute miles over the last year, he is basically another Baines on the right! Anyway, should be good. Think a lot will depend on which Lukaku and Mirallas turn up...