What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Very debateable.

Not a bad looking car by any means. But, imo, it looks like exactly what it is. A cheap Golf.

But kind of beside the point I was making. Which was that those arguing that you should buy a golf instead of a A3 because it's better value, should in turn be getting a Seat instead.

Edited by Stevo985

Golf is what you buy when you are 20 because you don't know any better , A3 is what you buy when you understand it's a better car all-round than a Golf

as Stevo says , if it's value you are after buy a  Seat ..or a Skoda

Haven't driven a Golf in a long time but don't Audi pride (and sell) themselves on being a firmer sportier ride?  I drove an A4 once and was warned that there's no safety net with them i.e. it's all grip until there's absolutely none.  Granted we were hooring around a backroad but the reasoning was do not trust an Audi because it'll quite happily kill you with very little feedback.  But then not everyone is always trying to beat their sector time PB :D 

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Haven't driven a Golf in a long time but don't Audi pride (and sell) themselves on being a firmer sportier ride?  I drove an A4 once and was warned that there's no safety net with them i.e. it's all grip until there's absolutely none.  Granted we were hooring around a backroad but the reasoning was do not trust an Audi because it'll quite happily kill you with very little feedback.  But then not everyone is always trying to beat their sector time PB :D 

They have a very sporty "s line"suspension, but it's an option these days. 

The standard is "sport", even if you buy an s-line. Basically because of what you said, the s line suspension is too firm.

The XF I had before I always felt was designed for people (like me ) who don't know one end of a car from the other , where as the Audi is a much better drive because it does have the firmer suspension ...

The suspension is changeable on my A5 , though tbh I don't really notice the firm ride one way or another ... for school runs I have it in comfort mode and when I do my late night drive home from the cinema through the country lanes , without breaking any speed limits whatsoever your Honour  , I stick everything into the sport mode and have my fun , which was always a little bit harder / scarier in the XF

but to be honest ,  you could probably put me behind the wheels of car with square wheels and I wouldn't notice the difference

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

I've currently got my ancient Merc auto set up so soft it does that 'wallow' just like you used to see the cars do on old american cop shows.

In my head, I'm permanently in an episode of the Rockford Files. That episode where he has to commute home, hand over his money to teenagers and do a quick 30 minutes of e-mails before tea...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We finally bought a replacement second car on the weekend. We've had a Nissan people carrier thing which was bought from new way back when. It's got to the end of it's life in a big way, including a stretched timing chain and knackered engine along with a whole host of other issues. Every time it starts might be the last, basically.

Anyway, we / she had a short list of smaller downsized cars and we went out on the weekend. Downsized as the school run and guitar transport has just finished and it will rarely if ever leave town. It's a shopping trolley and single person 7 mile commute kinda car.

Renault and Dacia quickly dismissed due to disinterested staff. Disinterested after we'd told them we were buying in the next 24 / 48 hours. MG turned out not to exist yet, it was just a totem on an empty lot.

That left Toyota (Aygo) and Skoda (Citigo). Both nice cars, both drove fine around town, both had sales staff that came over as mostly human.

We told both garages we would sign up by 4:00pm if the deal was right. Toyota agreed 4:00pm was a good deadline as they were closing early for the football. Then it became quickly apparent that Toyota wanted to sell a car far more than Skoda did. The price tumbled, the spec went up, the extras became free, the valuation on the Nissan went up.... and we bought a funky little red n black Aygo at 3:50pm and left the garage at the same time as them locking up.

Ridiculous amount of kit, reversing camera, wifi hub (!), air con, alloys, heated mirrors (?), fancy sporty half leather seats, extra stick on plastic fins and scoops n shit to make it look much faster as it takes 14 seconds to get to 60mph.

It would appear the way to get a deal you are happy with is to turn up 3 hours before a footy match on the last sales weekend of the quarter.

Just the next 3 years now to decide if that was the best way to have bought a car.

drove a hire car over the weekend , a Mondeo

you forget how lazy you've become when you can't drive a car with a gear stick , for shame I stalled as I tried to pull away from lights having left the car in 3rd gear  and you can't park a car without parking detectors .... the Mondeo has these Mr Magoo type mirrors where everything looks so magnified as to be closer than they really are , I reversed into a bay and got out to find I was still about 12 foot away from the wall behind me

the car itself I thought wasn't too bad , was only when I got back in my own car a few hours later when I realised just how bad the ride and handling is ( this is from a  self confessed driver that previously commented that I doubt I could notice such things !!)

• Like 1

Seems like the battery is going in my keyfob, 

mMKUg5aTKOXGC4Xw_bVRJKw.jpg

Anywhere local to West Bromwich I can get this sorted for a reasonable fee or Is it a job I can do myself? 

Advice / Ideas needed please.

Ok I'm 29, the mrs is 25. I do 25-30k miles a year so have a boring Astra 1.7 diesel, however its economical, and has never let me down. 

The mrs has a horrific Ford Ka, which her PCP contract is up soon. As its barely used we are thinking of getting a "fun car", something to use at weekends, or when we go for days out, shopping etc. Either a convertible, or something like an Alfa Brera. 

Any ideas? We are happy to spend around 10k (used). 

19 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Advice / Ideas needed please.

Ok I'm 29, the mrs is 25. I do 25-30k miles a year so have a boring Astra 1.7 diesel, however its economical, and has never let me down. 

The mrs has a horrific Ford Ka, which her PCP contract is up soon. As its barely used we are thinking of getting a "fun car", something to use at weekends, or when we go for days out, shopping etc. Either a convertible, or something like an Alfa Brera. 

Any ideas? We are happy to spend around 10k (used). 

Porsche Boxster springs to mind.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

fun weekend car, as long as you dont mind it being small - 

fiat500abarth-31webopt.jpg

i had a competizione so it wasnt exactly cheap but you should be able to get a decent 500 for less than £10k

Mentioned earlier in the thread (I think) that I had the pleasure of taking a 500 Abarth around for a razz recently and bloody loved it.

It belonged to a wealthy client that has, amongst other things, a Maserati GT and Lamborghini Gallardo Balbone and he says the FIAT is the most fun car he owns. 

• Like 2

On 1 July 2016 at 15:48, Sid4ever said:

Anybody have any recent experience of the Audi A6 Avant?  Good or bad gratefully received.

Yes, currently have one. Bought it new and will have had it 3 years in September, absolutely love it its a superb car.

I literally haven't found fault in it.

27 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Mentioned earlier in the thread (I think) that I had the pleasure of taking a 500 Abarth around for a razz recently and bloody loved it.

It belonged to a wealthy client that has, amongst other things, a Maserati GT and Lamborghini Gallardo Balbone and he says the FIAT is the most fun car he owns. 

Yeah me and you have had this chat before!

coming off an island there's not much by the way of half sensible that can touch it, you can really throw it about, the handling and acceleration is brilliant

• Like 1

On 08/07/2016 at 19:55, V01 said:

Seems like the battery is going in my keyfob, 

mMKUg5aTKOXGC4Xw_bVRJKw.jpg

Anywhere local to West Bromwich I can get this sorted for a reasonable fee or Is it a job I can do myself? 

Lost track of which thread I was in and now I want a liquorice ice pop.

• Like 2

Â