What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Does anyone have any experience of Smart Cars?

To be used purely for a 15 mile commute each day. 

I use car2go over here to get to and from work, which is about an 8 minute drive.  They're fine.  Nothing fancy and not much poke, but mega fuel efficient and easy to manoeuvre and park.  I've ummed and ahhed about getting a Brabus one so I don't have to walk to wherever the rental ones have been parked up.

Managed to get BMW down to £275 per month including gap insurance for brand new BMW 320d M Sport with all the trimmings. I have now idea how. Problem is now I am unsure whether PCP's benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

• Like 1

Limited experience of a Smart ForFour rental car in Spain :D  Felt like a very badly put-together Ford Focus.

Best of luck with it Richie.  I'm always nervous about buying cars of that nature at that age because you've got to assume that at some point in the past it's had an owner who drove the absolute ring out of it.

Best of luck with it Richie.  I'm always nervous about buying cars of that nature at that age because you've got to assume that at some point in the past it's had an owner who drove the absolute ring out of it.

You say 'of that age' and this has reminded me, in the unlikely event that anyone on this board has just purchased a metallic red Jaguar XE from the dealership down Swindon way, I can reliably inform you that your car is perfectly capable of 120mph plus and multiple emergency breaking manoeuvres.

Followed it up the M4 as best I could but chickened out when it all got a bit crazy. Still had delivery plates and plastic wrap. Never has drove it like he stole it been so apt. 

Just bought a 2001 Ford Windstar. Like driving an old boat on a gently rolling ocean while sitting in you grandfather's favourite armchair. 3.8 litre engine sounds like a train and just about gets the thing off from 0-40mph. Nothing really works as it should and there is a knack to getting anything to open/close, switch on/off. Put me on the open road in it and I am in heaven.

I use car2go over here to get to and from work, which is about an 8 minute drive.  They're fine.  Nothing fancy and not much poke, but mega fuel efficient and easy to manoeuvre and park.  I've ummed and ahhed about getting a Brabus one so I don't have to walk to wherever the rental ones have been parked up.

Just as I thought then. OK for a commuting tool. And nice and cheap to boot

• Like 1

Limited experience of a Smart ForFour rental car in Spain :D  Felt like a very badly put-together Ford Focus.

It was the fourtwo I was thinking about really. Just to use purely for the drive to work daily 

Few random musings.

I've had my hybrid for about 6 months now and I couldn't own another purely ICE car. I only hope that in 2 years time there'll be a full EV with 150 miles range and family sized so I can ditch fossil fuels in a car altogether. I go in other people's cars and they're rattly and shaky and feel old fashioned.

While on old-fashioned.. my friend's got a brand new Mondeo estate. With how well reviewed they are I expected it to be excellent. It was worse than terrible. It felt exactly the same in every way to a 1980s Sierra, spongy acceleration and road-holding, spongy seats, ill-designed and fitting everything. My car feels positively space age compared to it yet gets slated in reviews. I'm convinced that all car reviews are just paid adverts.

cheers, i would be too but there was a big sevice history and it seemed to have been very well looked after and only 70000 miles on it.kind of see it as an investment because in the irish market they have just started to increse in price after hitting rockbottom and the value compared to in the uk is even big as it is.if i advertised it across the water i would probably get a 2 grand profit. wont be many low mileage ones around in a few years too. thats unless i drive the ring out of it before that :trollface:

• Like 1

Few random musings.

I've had my hybrid for about 6 months now and I couldn't own another purely ICE car. I only hope that in 2 years time there'll be a full EV with 150 miles range and family sized so I can ditch fossil fuels in a car altogether. I go in other people's cars and they're rattly and shaky and feel old fashioned.

While on old-fashioned.. my friend's got a brand new Mondeo estate. With how well reviewed they are I expected it to be excellent. It was worse than terrible. It felt exactly the same in every way to a 1980s Sierra, spongy acceleration and road-holding, spongy seats, ill-designed and fitting everything. My car feels positively space age compared to it yet gets slated in reviews. I'm convinced that all car reviews are just paid adverts.

What hybrid do you have?

Because every time I travel in a prius they're god awful. It's like driving around in a milk float. So light and tinny.

Few random musings.

What hybrid do you have?

Because every time I travel in a prius they're god awful. It's like driving around in a milk float. So light and tinny.

Auris Touring Sports (estate). Same powertrain as a Prius but more of a traditional chassis which they've fettled for British roads. Feels far better on the road than that Mondeo and every bit as good as a Golf for example.

I assume by 'like driving around in a milk float' you mean the sound of the electric motors? I'd get used to it, most manufacturers are having to go into hybrid and EV in a big way now.

Never been in a Prius so don't know. But my Auris just feels like a Golf, Focus, Astra etc but smoother, easier and more refined.

• Like 1

Not so much the sound of the engine (or lack of it) but that combined with the car feeling big but empty. Everything seems basic and plastic and light as a feather. I'd say the same about some citroens that have a normal engine but I guess the electric engine adds to the effect.

My post wasn't a knock on hybrids. It's just that the Prius is the only one I've ever been driven in so it's my only experience. So I was intrigued as to what car gave you a good experience

Actual convo with a BMW car salesman:

- The used car PCP monthly price would be £x. The new car is double the price bought outright so you would expect the PCP monthly price to be double the used car monthly price.  But I have managed to get you a great deal and it's not quite double the price.

Er no the residual price is a pretty big factor so no I wouldn't expect it to be double the price. Loser.

I didn't call him a loser.

Â