What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

I think we can all discuss the relative merits of certain cars in respect to performance etc and probably disagree - but in terms of "gadgets" / features what do people find useful?

On the "boy toy" at the moment it has a few extras on it including

• Rear view camera
  • Auto detect on "blind spot" - it issues alert when other vehicles are in your blind spot
  • Lane tracking - rumbles steering wheel if stray across white line
  • Auto windscreen wiper / full beam - swiches on wipers if need be and also switches on full beam if needed
  • Key less entry - no firking around for keys etc
  • Road sign detection - displays speed limits for roads based on road signs it "sees"
  • Heated leather reccaro seats - Hmmmmmmm
  • Quick clear front and back - no scraping ice etc
  • Auto stop for collision avoidance - have to be going less than 20 mph though
  • Full voice activation for most features, phone (links to IPhone address book etc), radio,

and quite a few others. It's not meant as a "look at me" list, but thinking of where cars were only 5  years back compared to now for features etc. what will be "standard" soon?

The quick clear front and back gave you away as a Ford!

For me:

Auto

DAB radio

Full multi-media, bluetooth sat nag stuff (no sp., she really pisses me off sometimes!)

heated seats (leather is too cold otherwise)

Parking sensors

That said I reversed my current one into a pillar when it was a few weeks old. I was too busy listening to the front sensors to notice the urgency of the rear ones!

I also swear at my multimedia woman a lot, when she doesn't listen properly!

My other car is a Focus. I've already mentioned that in this thread. Keep up.

It's not. It's a fiesta with a WWF number plate, as above. I know your secret.

we've seen it, we have a third party photo of an 850cc pink Fiesta with a grappling registration

what's interesting, is that there is no third party independent photo of this 'mustang'

I think we can all discuss the relative merits of certain cars in respect to performance etc and probably disagree - but in terms of "gadgets" / features what do people find useful?

• Rear view camera
  • Auto detect on "blind spot" - it issues alert when other vehicles are in your blind spot
  • Auto windscreen wiper / full beam - swiches on wipers if need be and also switches on full beam if needed
  • Road sign detection - displays speed limits for roads based on road signs it "sees"
  • Full voice activation for most features, phone (links to IPhone address book etc), radio,

and quite a few others. It's not meant as a "look at me" list, but thinking of where cars were only 5 years back compared to now for features etc. what will be "standard" soon?

The quick clear front and back gave you away as a Ford!!

Or a Jag! They have heated front screens too.

• Rear view camera

and quite a few others. It's not meant as a "look at me" list, but thinking of where cars were only 5 years back compared to now for features etc. what will be "standard" soon?

• Rear view camera

Only because Ford who own the patents on heated front screens allows them... as Ford have a money tied up in Jaguar.

Only because Ford who own the patents on heated front screens allows them... as Ford have a money tied up in Jaguar.

The patents have expired in most countries. That said, most of the global manufacturers don't bother with it because of the markets where it gets cold, only Europe has seen any interest (e.g. when Ford (Instaclear) and GM (Electriclear) rolled it out 20 years ago for North America, basically nobody was interested).

• 1 month later...

New daily drive arrived on Thursday to replace the capable, but dull, Passat. Gone for a Merc E350 AMG and have to say I'm chuffed with it so far!

IMG_20140217_135807.jpg

Really is one of those "all the car you ever need" types, which now questions how much use the weekend wheels will get.

Edited by StanBalaban

I like VWs but even I can't defend a lupo. My 90 year old aunt had one. And she looked too young for it.

I would agree with you but it aint just any old Lupo.

The Lupo GTi is pretty special if you like the VW and the whole hot-hatch GTi heritage.

The mk1 Golf GTi defined a genre and the mk2 improved upon it. The mk3 onwards went lardy and they soon became too big.

When they let the muzzles off the germans sometimes, they go a bit mad. They made the Lupo GTi to be the true successor to the mk1 Golf GTi so had to go a bit mad with it.

To get perfect weight distribution they moved the battery from the engine bay into the boot.

They replaced various panels with lighter aluminium parts to save weight.

They specced it with GT extras like leather and aircon.

Special one-off sized 15" bathurst alloys.

HIDs as standard.

Only imported 1000 into the UK and they only built them in Wolfsburg.

Most sports models of cars just have lowered suspension, higher power out, maybe some wheels and carbon fibre. VW made the Lupo GTi a totally different car for enthusiasts.

Â