World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Yep. The big federations like England, Germany France, Spain etc should have just said "No, we're not having it and we won't be competing"

Qatar signed a $14bn arms deal with the French government, guaranteeing thousands of French jobs for years in the process in order to secure French support. I don't think that left the French federation with a great deal of choice.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Qatar signed a $14bn arms deal with the French government, guaranteeing thousands of French jobs for years in the process in order to secure French support. I don't think that left the French federation with a great deal of choice.

According to Platini so take it with a pinch of salt, he was pressured by Sarkozy to vote for Qatar and they would support France financially

I think they bought PSG about 6 months later

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Infantino then is suggesting that we should be more forgiving of the 'cultural differences' between Qatar and Western nations because of the historical colonialism of Western history. That's the ultimate straw man argument surely? We should take an active part in repeating the errors of our past because those we're partnered with haven't had the chance to make those mistakes themselves yet. 

FIFA is possibly the most corrupt sporting organisation in history, and it's leader and figurehead, rather than expressing regret or shame is doubling down - according to him; it's not him, it's not FIFA, it's the entirety of human history that is wrong and he's completely justified in his actions within that context. It's bullshit and he knows it.

You'd expect heads to roll, you'd expect resignations, you'd expect restructure - instead we've got this idiot being re-elected, unopposed for a new term, while every football federation on the planet looks on and does nothing. 

Like our politicians, our football administrators are quite happy to sell us up the river as long as their palms are greased. 

I hope the whole thing burns down.

I hope Qatar is a disaster.

I'd love it if "Morality Police" were seen harassing fans in their seats during games. The more embarrassing for FIFA the better.

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Infantino then is suggesting that we should be more forgiving of the 'cultural differences' between Qatar and Western nations because of the historical colonialism of Western history. That's the ultimate straw man argument surely? We should take an active part in repeating the errors of our past because those we're partnered with haven't had the chance to make those mistakes themselves yet. 

FIFA is possibly the most corrupt sporting organisation in history, and it's leader and figurehead, rather than expressing regret or shame is doubling down - according to him; it's not him, it's not FIFA, it's the entirety of human history that is wrong and he's completely justified in his actions within that context. It's bullshit and he knows it.

You'd expect heads to roll, you'd expect resignations, you'd expect restructure - instead we've got this idiot being re-elected, unopposed for a new term, while every football federation on the planet looks on and does nothing. 

Like our politicians, our football administrators are quite happy to sell us up the river as long as their palms are greased. 

I hope the whole thing burns down.

I hope Qatar is a disaster.

100% this

He should have come out a few years back and been completely honest saying we know the whole thing is wrong but the contracts are signed, the works have begun and legally FIFA cannot afford not to let Qatar have the games, explain how fifa have cleaned up, everyone involved has been sacked or jailed and they move on

Instead he's bizarrely aggressive in backing the donkey his predecessors fraudulently picked

And we all sit here thinking fifa haven't changed a thing, blatter was a **** idiot, infantino is a **** idiot and they're every bit as corrupt as they've ever been and football is in the gutter

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

According to Platini so take it with a pinch of salt, he was pressured by Sarkozy to vote for Qatar and they would support France financially

Yep, and in fairness, I'm not sure what else Sarkozy could have done - it's thousands of French jobs on the line and it's his job to protect those; money talks and money doesn't give a shit about morality, decency, society or culture. it would have been quite something for Sarkozy to have to close down factories in France on the basis of what was morally right for football or migrant workers from India.

23 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Why is FIFA run the exclusively by a bunch of words removed 

It's really sad that in 2022 it is still run by complete scumbags. 

Not sure how you purge them. They're too entrenched. 

• Like 1

Just now, maqroll said:

It's really sad that in 2022 it is still run by complete scumbags. 

Not sure how you purge them. They're too entrenched. 

And it would be purged by the likes of the English FA, UEFA and other leading figures or clubs within the game

And there's no guarantee any of them would be any better or qualified or in line with what fans want anyway

The idea of UEFA going in and sorting out FIFA is laughable to me, they might be (more) above board but they're still greedy words removed who put money first football second and the fans some way off near the bottom

• Like 1

I hope that Trumpian rambling speech puts the rest of the people on the fence properly off. Don’t watch it. The West is by far the most lucerative fan base for FIFA, cut the advertisement revenues in the West and democratic nations elsewhere and FIFA is bust. You can’t afford to pay the enormous corrupt beast without our cash.

Infantino can do one. Along with everyone who is willingly supporting this drivel. 

Edited by magnkarl

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Infantino's speech was nauseating and sententious drivel.

Indeed. Absolutely disgraceful. The fact he was trying to compare being ginger as a child with being executed for your sexual preferences, or prevented from working or going out freely because you are female, or prevented from returning home and being worked literally to death because you are an immigrant laborer was absolutely nauseating and shameful. 

Then trying to make out that Qatar are the victims??? What an utter weapons grade bell-end. 

Just wow!

• Like 1

I hope all players, staff and fans stay safe and return home healthy.... However I want the World Cup to fail on every possible level, I won't stand here holier than thou, I will watch the matches especially of my Socceroos. But if the whole thing got cancelled tomorrow I wouldn't give a flying 🦆

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We also need their gas now we can’t get it from Russia. 

Â