FIFA Corruption

islingtonclaret

• 9 months later...
On 27/02/2016 at 10:24, villa4europe said:

He wants a 40 team world cup

The Graun made me laugh on this one today:

'Enough of the bad news, though. On the positive side, Infantino has proposed expanding the World Cup to 48 teams, very nearly a quarter of their total membership of 211 nations and another happy step on the way to complete inclusivity (Anti-Spoty proposes a single two-leg play-off to bring the number down to a more manageable 210, followed by a final tournament consisting of 42 five-team groups, from which the winners and the 22 best runners-up progress to the first of six knock-out rounds, for a broadcaster-friendly total of 484 fixtures including the third-place play-off).

But Fifa’s very finest achievement of 2016 was to finally cure racism, allowing them to disband its anti-racism task force on the grounds that it had “completely fulfilled its mission”. Which was nice.'

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/dec/15/anti-sports-personality-year-awards-2016

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Overwhelming" support for a 48 team world cup.

Well, its overwhelming because 75% of the countries would never qualify for a world cup unless it was made easier. This isn't about being inclusive, its about money and getting more bribes/bungs from developing nations. 

Why not just scrap qualifying and have a 200 team world cup played over 4 years!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38449674

Global football federations are "overwhelmingly in favour" of plans for a 48-team World Cup, Fifa president Gianni Infantino says.

The head of football's governing body outlined his vision for an expanded tournament comprising 16 groups of three teams earlier this month.

The top two teams in each group would progress to the knockout rounds.

A decision will be made in January but any change to the 32-team format is unlikely to come in before 2026.

Fifa's council will discuss the proposal at a meeting on 9 January but Infantino, 46, made expansion part of his election manifesto.

"We have to be more inclusive," he said at a sports conference in Dubai, adding that a 48-team tournament was the most financially appealing.

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

Why not just scrap qualifying and have a 200 team world cup played over 4 years!

I'd watch a 200 team knockout competition. The numbers don't quite work out for 1v1, so we might have to play some matches with 3 teams. :P 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I'd watch a 200 team knockout competition. The numbers don't quite work out for 1v1, so we might have to play some matches with 3 teams. :P 

Don't give FIFA ideas! :D

I'd imagine the Asian, Carribbean and North American federations would very much support this proposal, ya know, basically all the nations no one gives a shit about.

3 team groups, I can see it now, lots of dead rubber matches and a seeding system designed to ensure the top sides get through.

It will be boring until the group games are done (at best)

20 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Or even better an WWF style Free for all, Battle Royale with 30 teams at the same time.

Bildresultat för wwf free for all

• Like 1

Â