supernova26

Is hoofball our game now?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Are we becoming the new Stoke?

• No
    • Yes
    • I can't be arsed to even credit this question with an answer

• 3 weeks later...

15.7% of Aston Villa's passes have been hit long (35 yards or more) this season; a league-high ratio.

Here

There's a world of difference between playing a long pass and playing 'long ball'.

This stat is meaningless.

It certainly is.

Villa, 3rd lowest on Whoscored's possession table for all of the major leagues they do stats for. That's pretty worrying. Pass accuracy isn't very good either. Much room for improvement.

The only stat that matters is goals winning games - and we've won two back to back - that's improvement

Villa, 3rd lowest on Whoscored's possession table for all of the major leagues they do stats for. That's pretty worrying. Pass accuracy isn't very good either. Much room for improvement.

Doesn't help we've played Man City 8th, Chelsea 20th, Arsenal 27th, but how we managed to have such little possession against Norwich is beyond me.

The only stat that matters is goals winning games - and we've won two back to back - that's improvement

Yeah, points on the board is the bottom line, but ignore stats like those at your peril. Possession and passing must improve or we won't win very many in the longer term.
  • Like 1

Doesn't help we've played Man City 8th, Chelsea 20th, Arsenal 27th, but how we managed to have such little possession against Norwich is beyond me.

True.

There's a world of difference between playing a long pass and playing 'long ball'.

This stat is meaningless.

Is there?

I'm not sure I really understand this argument. There isn't a team in the league who just wack it up the pitch to no one and chase it down (unless clearing the ball when under pressure). When we do á "long pass" it's generally to Benteke, when Stoke do them it's generally to Jones or Crouch. What's the difference? 

Or a better question, which team in the league plays "long balls" and not "long passes"?... to me, they're the same thing.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

That's because we're a counter attacking team. There is a big difference between counter attacking and playing long ball.

That's because we're a counter attacking team. There is a big difference between counter attacking and playing long ball.
I agree, but my point is, if we only play counter attack we're going to struggle. It seems like there is no ability to mix it up.

The stat isn't meaningless.

At the same time, you have to take it with a grain of salt

Sorry but it's a totally useless stat.  There's no comparison, or context to make it meaningful.

For example what are the percentages for the rest of the league? If the majority are around 15-15.5% then it's nothing remarkable to be just outside that range, if the majority are around 7% then it's more significant.

We've played four of the sides expected to be fighting for at least Champions League in the first six games. These games are more likely to see us belting it from defence to 'clear the decks' so that's a factor.

We've played a quarter of the season so far without Benteke and yet we've scored 44.5% of our goals since he's been out and have won every game. That could be interpreted as we're better without Benteke, which of course is ridiculous, it's a meaningless statistic. For statistics to have any value there has to be a reasonable amount of data to draw from and six games is not enough, in my opinion.

• Like 3

So the stats back me up!

I'm sure nobody could have  failed to have noticed those hoofs from Guzan to Benteke.

To be fair though I think it's a case of needs must at the moment. We thought when Lambert first game in and for many games last season he had a definite style he wanted to play which didn't involve long balls and flick ons (percentage football) but this season we have seen quite a bit of that. It can be effective though and can secure us mid-table but eventually we would like something more dynamic. Apart from Benteke and maybe Westwood I would suggest we don't have the players to play more possession based football at the moment. I will also point out Belgium make that goal-kick to Benteke play all the time. 

Winning games because we were the better football team as opposed to getting a few lucky breaks (as per vs City) should be the aim. 

Edited by supernova26

Guzan has a very accurate kick, and Benteke wins flick ons or, better still, brings the ball down and holds it up 9 times out of 10. Why pass it around at the back and risk being put under pressure when you can almost guarantee keeping possession in the opponents third of the pitch. It'll be interesting to see how that long ball stat changes over the next few games. Last couple of games we've continued to do it with Kozak being the target, but it's nowhere near as effective so we may go back to seeing our defence and midfield look to pass it up the pitch more.

Â