Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That was epic. Comfortable game ( the two tries flattered Scotland to be honest) but the atmosphere was incredible. I can’t imagine what it was like in the stadium against South Africa. 

Shame Ireland meet NZ in the quarters. We can beat them, but I have a bad feeling. They’ve been there and done it

I hear you regarding NZ but as I said at the beginning of the tournament, Ireland just look the most focused and self- confident of all the teams I've watched. They're totally in sync with each other and remind me so much, mentality wise, of the great 03 England side.

You're absolutely right, if there's one team you can never underestimate it's the AB. However, Ireland have the psychological edge from beating them in their own backyard, whatever, it's going to be a mouthwatering contest. I just hope the Boys in green can do the job.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JB said:

Just look at the quality of those Irish subs. If Lions was picked entirely on merit, you could make a very, very strong case for a full Irish match day squad. 

Off the top of my head, I can’t see any players from the other three nations who are as good as their Irish opposite number. 

I hope Farrell senior is up for the gig. 

Surely not Gatland again. I would love it to be Farrell, watching the Lions play that kind of rugby, oh yes!

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I hear you regarding NZ but as I said at the beginning of the tournament, Ireland just look the most focused and self- confident of all the teams I've watched. They're totally in sync with each other and remind me so much, mentality wise, of the great 03 England side.

You're absolutely right, if there's one team you can never underestimate it's the AB. However, Ireland have the psychological edge from beating them in their own backyard, whatever, it's going to be a mouthwatering contest. I just hope the Boys in green can do the job.

Agreed they look above everyone else and nothing will faze them. 
I think they can beat the All Blacks but it will be one hell of a game.
However, going off previous games even if they beat NZ, it’s the following game that is tougher. You have to raise yourself so much to beat NZ (see England last year), that it’s hard to get back up again afterwards. I think no one was has beaten NZ has won the next WC game so you have to beat them in the final.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, luckyeddie said:

This should be the final, not a quarter final. There's no justice that one of these teams goes out yet England and Wales could be semi finalists.

Blame France for this, it was their choice when to do the draw 

On 08/10/2023 at 11:24, sheepyvillian said:

I'm not too sure when the draw was made. He may have been before Ireland had become the team they now are.

Back in 2020, it has made a mockery of the draw. Feel for the losers of the AB v Ire and Fra v SA, should be the semi final draw.

Borthwick setting up the team around Farrell, who is not good enough to dictate our tactics. Bringing in Smith because OF is a poor playmaker is the wrong call imo. We should beat Fiji, but it smacks of inconsistency and Hail Mary tactics. Feel sorry for George Ford.

• Like 1

The draw is what it is, don't forget that back in 2013 (I'm not too sure) England were in a group with Wales and Australia when all 3 were strong. It happens. I think though, that there should be groups of 6 groups 4 and not  4 of 5. Top two qualify automatically and top qualifies automatically and best placed next two. It sounds rubbish as I'm typing it though.

7 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

Back in 2020, it has made a mockery of the draw. Feel for the losers of the AB v Ire and Fra v SA, should be the semi final draw.

While the pools were wildly different in strength there is a bit of a benefit in that we now have 4 quite even and unpredictable quarterfinals, all of which are north vs south. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

While the pools were wildly different in strength there is a bit of a benefit in that we now have 4 quite even and unpredictable quarterfinals, all of which are north vs south. 

All the quarter finals should be competitive, which means the semi finals may be less competitive.

Wales 24- 12 Argentina

Ireland 12- 18 NZ

England 24 - 20 Fiji

France 9 - 18 SA

I just think Ireland have been playing almost too well and that's hard to replicate throughout the WC. I'd like to see them win it (after England, but thanks to a fortunate draw we could get to the semis before a hiding) but I don't think they will. The biggest intrigue will be FRA - ZAF. France will probably be favourites but i have a sneaky feeling that South Africa will win the tournament.  No doubt the semis will now be Argentina v Ireland and Fiji v France. 

As an English man I'd obviously like England to win it (whilst being conflicted that it validates the RFU and Borthwick) but being honest I just want a NH team to win it.

Any of them. 

The record is ridiculous that only one tournament has been won by a NH team.

It's embarrassing. 

20 hours ago, luckyeddie said:

Borthwick setting up the team around Farrell, who is not good enough to dictate our tactics. Bringing in Smith because OF is a poor playmaker is the wrong call imo. We should beat Fiji, but it smacks of inconsistency and Hail Mary tactics. Feel sorry for George Ford.

The amount of fly - half's England have wasted over the years. It's criminal. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Yeah I think this will be the best weekend of rugby in the tournament, hopefully one of the best ever

• Like 2

Massive game this side of the border today. I'll be joining in and watching for a change. I always consider myself an Englishman because I am, but I do always hope Wales do well, it cheers the whole nation up it really does. Off to the next town along the road which is more rugby mad. Lots of pubs in a small street. The atmosphere if they beat Argentina will be great tonight.

Good Luck to Ireland too later. It would be quite something if the All Blacks went out in the Quarters. Even if they aren't at their imperious best.

23 hours ago, peterw said:

Wales 24- 12 Argentina

Ireland 12- 18 NZ

England 24 - 20 Fiji

France 9 - 18 SA

I just think Ireland have been playing almost too well and that's hard to replicate throughout the WC. I'd like to see them win it (after England, but thanks to a fortunate draw we could get to the semis before a hiding) but I don't think they will. The biggest intrigue will be FRA - ZAF. France will probably be favourites but i have a sneaky feeling that South Africa will win the tournament.  No doubt the semis will now be Argentina v Ireland and Fiji v France. 

Strangely I don’t think Ireland have been playing very well. South Africa aside their performances haven’t been THAT good. 

I still worry about New Zealand, but I don’t agree that Ireland have been that good

Â