Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

It’s almost difficult to believe that one group of men playing at the highest level of professional sport can be so significantly physically stronger and more powerful than another. France just dominating every physical contest and making it look easy.

you know i just don't get the fuss about smith. you can tell he has something technically but decision making isn't there for me, which is such a crucial part of a number 10's game. when you compare him to other 10s in world rugby i just think he's miles off...certainly nothing on some that we've had over the years. farrell is shite these days but in his prime he was exceptional. he's still only 24 so hope i'm proven wrong

• Like 1

been to 3 of the games this tournament...£100+ quid a ticket for each one...had tickets for today but decided to flog them a few days ago so i could go to the villa tomorrow. good decision.

i don't subscribe to the "give fans refunds" mindset but whilst we're rebuilding i hope the RFU look into the pricing structure for international rugby. the tickets i had for today were £110 each for category 3

• Like 3

Shaun Edwards has been coaching with great success at international level for the best part of 20 years. It’s a bit mental that his home country haven’t done whatever it takes to get him on board. 

1 minute ago, JB said:

Shaun Edwards has been coaching with great success at international level for the best part of 20 years. It’s a bit mental that his home country haven’t done whatever it takes to get him on board. 

borthwick deserves time and i'm not sure the coaching is necessarily the issue. players need to take a long look at themselves today because there were shocking individual displays across the board today. basic handling and awful discipline against a top, top side (as much as it pains me to say that cause french rugby fans are a bloody annoying bunch)

we were never winning this 6 nations...but the tournament isn't over yet. need to see some of today's wrongs be righted vs irelend

Highlights a shamolic system that is the World Cup draw. Draw done almost 2 and a half years out from the WC. England have got quite a favourable draw. If the draw was now or even last autumn their ranking would be significantly lower and would be in a tougher group. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

borthwick deserves time and i'm not sure the coaching is necessarily the issue. players need to take a long look at themselves today because there were shocking individual displays across the board today. basic handling and awful discipline against a top, top side (as much as it pains me to say that cause french rugby fans are a bloody annoying bunch)

we were never winning this 6 nations...but the tournament isn't over yet. need to see some of today's wrongs be righted vs irelend

Agreed, and that wasn’t what I was saying. I like Borthwick and I really, really want Sinfield to be good, given what a great bloke he is. I was just thinking out loud about how ridiculous it is that Edwards has never been involved in the England set up over the years. And tbf, that score line isn’t happening to a Shaun Edwards defence.

• Like 1

Well last week was very embarrassing and it could be even worse today. If Ireland score early head will drop and we could see a massive score . England news show they can fight, even if it’s a defeat (which it will be) we have to keep the score low. 
Im very surprised at the lack of change in the pack. It must be last chance saloon for some of them. 

Dombrant has really struggled this tournament and he must be worried about his place. Even the great VDM try I was very critical of Dombrants defence, a number 8 should not have been that easily handed off. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Dombrant has really struggled this tournament and he must be worried about his place. Even the great VDM try I was very critical of Dombrants defence, a number 8 should not have been that easily handed off. 

Yep and he’s not been alone in that. The gap between a being a good Premiership player and a decent international is increasingly vast. English rugby is relatively **** for the foreseeable I reckon. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

South African ref punishing England to the max again…

ruined what was a very decent contest. 

Was a very enjoyable game that could have gone either way.

Nothing else he could have done,  wasn't an unnatural position and no intent to cause harm. 

Don't lead with the elbow but can understand why he was. A yellow feels more suitable. 

• Like 1

I completely understand the defender’s duty of care and how seriously any head contact needs to be taken - within the letter of the law it might well have been the correct decision - but if that’s a red card then the rules are ****. It was a unavoidable collision and Keenan has moved into Steward. Their needs to be something into the rules that prevents contests being ruined by complete accidents. 

• Like 1

Â