Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

2 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Not sure I agree with this, they've been the best of the rest for a while now. Some of their players are at some top clubs across Europe too. 

I do agree about protecting the heritage fixtures, just not sure it can be achieved whilst growing the game and protecting player welfare. Some things will have to give.

i meant in tests vs tier 1 nations they've done nothing till this year. never gotten out of the pools at the WC. i'm not knocking them, i just think trying to shoehorn them into the 6 nations isn't the way forward

do we need annual test matches between england and australia/SA/NZ? maybe the way to grow the game is to have more games vs the likes of georgia in the autumn. but then twickenham doesn't sell out tickets at £150 a pop vs georgia does it...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i meant in tests vs tier 1 nations they've done nothing till this year. never gotten out of the pools at the WC. i'm not knocking them, i just think trying to shoehorn them into the 6 nations isn't the way forward

do we need annual test matches between england and australia/SA/NZ? maybe the way to grow the game is to have more games vs the likes of georgia in the autumn. but then twickenham doesn't sell out tickets at £150 a pop vs georgia does it...

I feel this is often overlooked when discussing Georgia, and it's forgotten that Italy weren't allowed to join the 5 Nations just because they were best of the rest, between 95-99 they record wins against Ireland (x3), Argentina* (x2), France and Scotland, they got invited because they started regularly beating T1 nations (not sure if Argentina would've counted as T1 at the time however).

If Georgia can continue this and get a few more wins, then it might be worth adding them to an expanded 6 Nations.

• Like 1

Georgia should be at least given the chance to have a play off with Italy. If Italy then beat them that is fair and square.

In regards to Rugby League Samoa gave Australia a decent game but with the inevitable result. England missed the chance to get to the final and  RL lost some coverage because of it. Attendances seemed  a mixed bag from what I saw. Essentially in League international matches are very much secondary importance to the National leagues in Australia and to a lesser extent England. It is still basically a provincial sport in certain sections of 2 countries.

23 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

I feel this is often overlooked when discussing Georgia, and it's forgotten that Italy weren't allowed to join the 5 Nations just because they were best of the rest, between 95-99 they record wins against Ireland (x3), Argentina* (x2), France and Scotland, they got invited because they started regularly beating T1 nations (not sure if Argentina would've counted as T1 at the time however).

If Georgia can continue this and get a few more wins, then it might be worth adding them to an expanded 6 Nations.

Why expand the 6 nations? Do we want to fly to play in Georgia in February? Do we want to have teams from Georgia join the URC?

Tom Curry jumping round and punching the air like he’s won the World Cup, when England win a penalty at 27-6 down. Itoje earlier clapping and whooping when a bok dropped a high ball. So embarrassing. Utter bell ends. 

Saffers are a bunch of horrible shithouses but at least it’s mildly amusing and they back it up. The red card was utterly disgusting, though. Lined up his head and hit it as hard as he could. Absolute word removed. Deserves a long, long ban. 

Edited by JB

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

He's a poor head coach. He plays the media well and they fall for it everytime. He's a con artist. 

I remember when he was appointed and Campese said, "same old, same old for England." Reffered to him as a coach with the School head approach, pretty spot - on in hindsight. 

• Like 1

Missed the game yesterday so can count myself lucky by the sounds of it.

I’d bin Jones now ahead of the Six Nations regardless of it being a World Cup next year, where we’d clearly be beaten by anyone half decent with a plan.

Jones has failed to deliver since the last WC final, which was undone by his tactical choices. 

His recent mumblings about having a plan for the next WC are just hokem as there’s no evidence of any tactical tweaks at all. He just lazily picks his favourites and hopes for the best. 

• Like 2

He’s basically ruined watching England play rugby since the World Cup. There was always a bit of a buzz around internationals but I can rarely be bothered watching, these days.

He should’ve gone a while ago. No decent coaches want to work with him because he’s such a prick, hence why he’s having to hire league coaches who’ve never worked in union before.

• Like 2

Â